First and Last columns of 360 pano not joining   [SOLVED] - View the solution

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
circumpunct

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

First and Last columns of 360 pano not joining

by circumpunct » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:49 pm

I can't get any joints at all between the first and last columns of a 360 spherical pano.

There is plenty of good data and the columns join easily by hand, so I guess I have a setting wrong somewhere, but I can;t find anything.

Any suggestions?

Attached are images of the un-joined columns, plus a sample of the manual join showing plenty of good links.
Attachments
Untitled2.png
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (172.46 KiB) Viewed 1131 times

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: First and Last columns of 360 pano not joining

by mediavets » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:30 pm

What camera, lens and pano head did you use to shoot this pano?

It looks as if you perhaps used some sort of auto exposure mode when shooting, this can cause exposures to be sufficiently different to affect the ability of APP/APG to detect control points automatically.

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

by Panoram1x » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi

You could also check a couple of things.

1- If APG has correctly identified the focal and crop factor of your camera/lens.

2- And if in the information window for the crop tool, cutting area is set to full sphere.

no avatar
circumpunct

Topic author
Info

by circumpunct » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:47 am

mediavets wrote:What camera, lens and pano head did you use to shoot this pano?

It looks as if you perhaps used some sort of auto exposure mode when shooting, this can cause exposures to be sufficiently different to affect the ability of APP/APG to detect control points automatically.

Gigapan with Nikon P90, everything on manual, no flash, no auto exposure.

There is a very slight difference between first and last column due to changes in ambient lighting, but I doubt that's the problem. There is plenty of detail and the software faultlessly stitches the two columns if I manually select the images.

You can see from the clips that the columns are clear. The software is not even trying to link them. I have this on all other sessions so it is not particular to these images. It stitches everything like a boss, but wont even try for the first and last columns.

no avatar
circumpunct

Topic author
Info

by circumpunct » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:22 am

Panoram1x wrote:Hi

You could also check a couple of things.

1- If APG has correctly identified the focal and crop factor of your camera/lens.

2- And if in the information window for the crop tool, cutting area is set to full sphere.

1) Yes, spot on. I guess the camera attaches the information to the image.

2) Yes. Under Settings, Panorama, Projection and crop, I have selected Spherical and have tried both Clamp to Panorama and Maximum Projection. It fails with both.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: First and Last columns of 360 pano not joining  [SOLVED]

by mediavets » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:36 am

circumpunct wrote:
mediavets wrote:What camera, lens and pano head did you use to shoot this pano?

Gigapan with Nikon P90, everything on manual, no flash, no auto exposure.

There is a very slight difference between first and last column due to changes in ambient lighting, but I doubt that's the problem. There is plenty of detail and the software faultlessly stitches the two columns if I manually select the images.

You can see from the clips that the columns are clear. The software is not even trying to link them. I have this on all other sessions so it is not particular to these images. It stitches everything like a boss, but wont even try for the first and last columns.

Are you using the Gigapan Import wizard with the 360 option selected?

Of course the Gigapan heads are not really intended to be used to shoot panos with 360 HFOV, but...
Attachments
1-apg-giga-wizard-360.jpg