MacOS Catalina. To update or not..????  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 228 posts
Info

MacOS Catalina. To update or not..????

by Destiny » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:36 am

This is just a heads-up!

I held off for a long time but my iCloud backup would no longer work.. Apple does things like this, they force you to upgrade.. To be honest, after this Mac dies, I might go back to using Windows, since you can use older software in Compatibility mode, which might include PTP and AGP if Apple kills it with updates.. I have not been happy with Apple since a few updates ago, when I lost Final Cut Pro, soon after I purchased it.. So I will never buy it again..

I tested PTP and APG, and in the most part they both work, but there are some issues. So update at your own risk..

APV 3.0 also seems to work OK in Catalina..

Krpano needs to be updated and you will need to force it to work.. But it will work..

EnfuseGUI, will not work at all.. Not even downloading their update.. Real shame.. But it might be updated, who knows..

There are many software apps that will not work in Catalina.. ALL Adobe CS6 is software.. Even Acrobat Pro.. The only Adobe software that will work is on Cloud, very expensive.. Apple must have some kind of control over Adobe.. Do an internet search and many users of Adobe are warning not to update to Catalina..

PTGru Pro can be updated, but it will COST heaps! Photomatix can be updated for free, depending on what version you have.. I had to remove many software apps since they are not compatible with Catalina.. I do not use Photoshop or Dreamweaver much, but they were handy at times.. But now I have nothing.. Most Cloud software is a river of gold going to Adobe.. Unless you have a real need, meaning, you make money using it, its not worth the cost.. I can do most things I need online for free..

You will find that if any of your software is still compatible with Catalina, it might need updating.. Some are free but others you will need to pay for.. I will give Catalina a few days, and if I have issues, I will use Time Machine to go back, then give iCloud backup the flick. That will fix that..

Good luck..

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: MacOS Catalina. To update or not..????

by Destiny » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:39 am

Just to let you know. I rolled back on using Catalina.. PTP had some issues. Also, NO 32bit software will work on this OS.. For me, it had more issues than it was worth. I now have all my CS6 software back and many other apps..

If you do upgrade, make sure you have a Time Capsule to rollback if you have issues..