Autopano Video 2.3.3 unfit for purpose  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Video bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Liked in: 4 posts
Info

Autopano Video 2.3.3 unfit for purpose

by Photosbykev » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Quite a harsh title but when a programme crashes almost everytime I click on a feature I have to call it unfit for purpose.

I've used Autopano Giga for a number of years and I don't think it has ever crashed on me even when stitching hundreds of raw files into a single panorama. With Autopano Video 2.3.3 I'm using it to stitch pairs of Kodak SP360 4k videos, typical 2-3 minutes long, and it constantly crashes even when I'm just scrubbing through the timeline.

To cap it all when the crash reporter pops up and I try to report the crash it reports the server is unavailable !

I'm running the software on a Gigabyte P25V laptop running Windows 10 home (64bit) fully updated with:
Intel i7-4710MQ cpu @ 2.5Ghz
16Gb of ram
2 x 256Gb SSD drives running Raid 0 and 1 x 1Tb hd
Nvidia GTX 880M graphics, fully upto date drivers

After spending over £300 for video stitching software to say I'm disappointed is an understatement and even when I can reach the rendering stage the rendering performance is appalling typically 0.5fps). I realise there is a 'pro' version which is the same as version 2 but uses the gpu for rendering and if the software was stable I wouldn't object to the extra cost but without stability the software is useless.

I've gone through the troubleshooting options and I've search the forum for ideas to resolve the problems so now I'm asking for help. I can provide whatever additional information is required to help find the issue and I hope it can be resolved. If it isn't then I would expect a full refund so I can re-invest it in alternative products.

Kev Lewis
http://www.photosbykev.com

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

Re: Autopano Video 2.3.3 unfit for purpose

by Photosbykev » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:01 pm

Good to see there is a good Kolor support team on the forum, not one response from anyone :( What's the point in having a support forum if there isn't any support?

Very disappointing for what I considered a quality company.

Kev Lewis

martin.arnoux
Kolor Team

Liked in: 27 posts
Info

by martin.arnoux » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi Kev,

First of all sorry for the delay, it's a very busy time here, but that doesn't excuse our silence.

I'd like ask/try multiple things:
-> install the latest AVP beta version 2.5 beta 2 (http://download.kolor.com/avp/beta/x64), please make sure to choose the pro version to use your GPU and gain some fps, just for testing purposes
-> no need to register the new version, just tell me if it's more stable than the previous one
-> are you doing any pre-processing on your kodak videos?
-> any use of a network hard drive? special characters in the file/folder names?

Cheers,

Martin

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:26 pm

Thank you for the response Martin.

I'll install the latest beta of the Pro version this evening and test it and report the findings.

The pair of Kodak video files are straight from the camera, unedited.

The processing is done on a laptop with 2 x 256Gb SSD drives running in Raid 0 with Win10 64bit home OS, so no networking or special characters in the file names.

regards
Kev

martin.arnoux
Kolor Team

Info

by martin.arnoux » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:28 pm

Ok great, let me know for the pro version.

Cheers,

Martin

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi Martin,

I found a bit of time earlier than expected :)

Autopano Video Pro 2.5beta downloaded and installed without problems

I used a pair of 1Gb videos that were unedited master files produced by a Kodak Pixpro SP360k dual camera rig

It took me less than 5 minutes to synchronise them, stitch them in APG4.2 and render out a 30second 4k (4096 x 2048 ) 25fps 360 video (100Mb). Metadata was added and uploaded to youtube https://youtu.be/D8jEj0Kx3yQ

APVP2.5 beta worked without a single error or crash and rendered out the 4k video at 7fps. I had to resync the video pair by one frame to clean up the movement of people near to the camera across the stitch line and the output from APG4.2 has a slight vertical error on the stitch line which I could correct with an extra few minutes of effort.

So the question is, Why is Autopano Video 2.3 and 2.5Beta so unusable and full of bugs when the only difference is the use of the gpu for rendering ??

best regards
Kev
http://www.photosbykev.com

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Update:

I noticed there was Autopano Video 2 b2 update so I installed it and then loaded the test project file created with Autopano Video Pro v2.5 beta 2. Once loaded I still can't do something as simple as scrubbing through the timeline without the software crashing completely. :(

Kev

martin.arnoux
Kolor Team

Info

by martin.arnoux » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Kev,

Thank you for the details. I'd like you to try one more thing please: in Autopano Video Pro 2.5 beta 2 go into the preferences, disable the GPU processing, close, restart the program and try to render your project. Is it crashing?

FYI:
The pro version uses the GPU not only for rendering but also for the preview. We use the CPU to compute this preview when you have a standard version, and it's taking about 10x more time than on the GPU. So every change you make (seek, move the panorama, change the sync, ..) is going to take quite a lot of time unless you have a super-CPU.

Cheers,

Martin

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:14 pm

martin.arnoux wrote:Hi Kev,

Thank you for the details. I'd like you to try one more thing please: in Autopano Video Pro 2.5 beta 2 go into the preferences, disable the GPU processing, close, restart the program and try to render your project. Is it crashing?

FYI:
The pro version uses the GPU not only for rendering but also for the preview. We use the CPU to compute this preview when you have a standard version, and it's taking about 10x more time than on the GPU. So every change you make (seek, move the panorama, change the sync, ..) is going to take quite a lot of time unless you have a super-CPU.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Martin, using AVP2.5 beta2.

I loaded the project test file from yesterdays test and scrubbed along the timeline without any issues.

In settings I disabled the GPU, saved the change and closed AVP2.5 beta2.

I restarted AVP2.5 b2 and checked in settings that the GPU was disabled.

Opened the project test file again and could scrub along the timeline with no issues at all. Some slight delay in updating the visual preview but very similar display update time between gpu and non-gpu configurations.

regards
Kev Lewis

martin.arnoux
Kolor Team

Info

by martin.arnoux » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Ok, thank you for all these informations. I'll get back to you soon.

Cheers,

Martin

Photosbykev likes this post.

no avatar
olddeadeye

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by olddeadeye » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:07 pm

I agree I use a 6 gopro set up and even though the trial seemed stable, as soon as I payed for it, it crashed constantly. I have to make saves with literally every action I take it's ridiculous. £350 and I'm so not happy. So glad I didn't buy the pro version now. Was going to get this for another machine too but I think I might look elsewhere.

My machine is off the internet so I can send bug reports easily, kind of considering a refund to be honest, but I bet you don't do them.

Also how the hell do I output anything over 60fps? even when I choose it to FPS same as original footage and it shows at the bottom of the render window as 80FPS it still outputs 60FPS ( at least this is what Premiere AE show it as)?!

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Just played with the latest AV2 version and the scrubbing along the timeline still crashes the software. At least this time the crash reporter didn't crash and I could send the report for assessment.

What's really annoying is I've been using the Pro version and I haven't had ONE crash. Very Very disappointed again Kolor, I expected better.

regards
Kev

Ibrahim Aly likes this post.

no avatar
Ibrahim Aly

Info

by Ibrahim Aly » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Have the same problem for months, got no solution and I got a new and powerful Laptop with almost the best hardware.
AVP2.3.3 crashes every time, either I'm trying to work with it or I do nothing it crashes. It seems like the GUI is not working anymore, so I have to use taskmanager to close it.

The same with Autopano Giga 4.2.3!

Need finally solution, till now its not the money worth...

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Ibrahim Aly wrote:Have the same problem for months, got no solution and I got a new and powerful Laptop with almost the best hardware.
AVP2.3.3 crashes every time, either I'm trying to work with it or I do nothing it crashes. It seems like the GUI is not working anymore, so I have to use taskmanager to close it.

The same with Autopano Giga 4.2.3!

Need finally solution, till now its not the money worth...

I've not had any problems with Autopano Giga 4.2.3, it never crashes even when stitching a 100+ raw images, but Autopano Video is another story and is certainly not worth the £300+ pounds I paid for it ! Even as free software I would be annoyed with it's stability.

The biggest annoyance is the lack of any Kolor support response. 6 weeks ago Kolor replied to the thread and they did give me a temporary fix but not a word since then.

Kev

no avatar
Ibrahim Aly

Info

by Ibrahim Aly » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:21 pm

Is there coming support for this thread?

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:36 pm

Last response from support was July 21st :( At the moment it's just £300 down the drain for completely unusable software

Kev