Difference Between Using PanoPress and iFrames in WordPress  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
panosteve

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Difference Between Using PanoPress and iFrames in WordPress

by panosteve » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:34 pm

What are the differences/advantages, etc. between using PanoPress or iFrames in WordPress? -Thanks!
Steven Rogers
panotracks.com
Adobe Certified Instructor, Photoshop
HW: Nikon D800, Nikkor 16 mm fisheye, Sigma 8mm f3.5 fisheye, Nodal Ninja R1, NN Advanced Rotator D4, Really Right Stuff PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot, Olympus LS-11 Recorder; SW: Photo Mechanic, Adobe Photoshop, SiteGrinder, PTGui, KRPano, Panotour Pro, Pano2VR, Flashificator, Audacity, Coda Editor, Transmit, VoodooPad, WordPress, Mac OS

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:12 pm

***WARING, READ #3 BEFORE DOWNLOADING!***

Hi..

The plugin just facilitate the process better and eliminates known issues in using iFrames in WordPress, so they created PanoPress.. Its free anyway so why not just use it.. .. http://www.plugpress.com/plugin/panopress

Destiny..

Sam Rohn

Info

by Sam Rohn » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 pm

howdy

the download site destiny linked to is not known to me, seems to be some sort of wordpress plugin republishing site which requests your personal info to download files which are freely avail elsewhere, & your wordpress admin login info so they can "help" you install their plugin in the first place...

i would avoid downloading anything anything at all from a site like that, seems very fishy :(

better to download panopress (or any wp plugin) only from either the official wordpress plugin directory or the panopress website

http://www.panopress.org/

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/panopress/

sam
Last edited by Sam Rohn on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Rohn :: 360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com :: Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com :: New York City
PanoPress :: WordPress Plugin for 360° Panoramas in Flash & HTML5 :: www.panopress.org

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Wow.. Thanks Sam... I have never downloaded it personally, since i do not use WordPress, its just what I have read... There seems to be many issues associated with iFrame in WordPress.. This site seemed to offer the goods..

Thank you for the heads-up and warning about this site.. So many of them these days.. I have even seen entire online shops being created as front, just to get our personal details..

I will leave the link as is to protect others here from using it.... ;) However, I have added a Warning...

Destiny..

Sam Rohn

Info

by Sam Rohn » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:29 pm

wordpress hosts an official plugin repository, and all plugins submitted to wordpress are thoroughly checked for malicious code etc, but it would be easy enough for a 3rd party to download any plugin or theme, add some malicious code, and offer it under the same name elsewhere - so using wordpress plugins and themes downloaded through unofficial channels can compromise your sites security

"official" wordpress directory plugins can and usually should be installed through the wordpress admin on your site, which also has an excellent built in updating mechanism for plugins, themes, and wordpress itself, once a plugin is installed it does a periodic version check against the wp repository server and you receive a notification in the wp admin that updates are available, click on install and you are updated w no hassle or worries

but to answer the OP...

PanoPress uses iframes for some things like html file embeds, but the advantages of using panopress in this mode over another iframe method would be that panopress is optimized for panorama display without any odd scroll bars in the middle of your page etc, simplicity of the using shortcode, ability to use preview images, built in lightbox clone, compatibility with other swf/xml/html5/etc panoramas (with proper fullscreen and mousewheel etc), settings for flash wmode, flexible settings for multiple panos on one page on mobile or desktop to avoid browser crashes & memory issues, css settings for customizing display to match your site, and more

and just like any software you download off the internet, always make sure it is coming from an official or trusted source ;)

http://www.panopress.org

sam
Sam Rohn :: 360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com :: Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com :: New York City
PanoPress :: WordPress Plugin for 360° Panoramas in Flash & HTML5 :: www.panopress.org