How to stitch NON panorama tilesets?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
nucleaeon

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

How to stitch NON panorama tilesets?

by nucleaeon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:47 am

I have a bunch of images that were simply scanned images from one very large composite image. When trying Autopano, it gives a lot of ghosting and such that appears to be from being a program predominantly designed for panoramas.

In this case I don't need color correction and I don't need lens correction. I just need to detect where images need to be overlaid. There are thousands of images to process for several large images, but even just trying Autopano on a small subset doesn't really work well.

Any ideas on what settings would be optimal for just combining a tileset like this?

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

Re: How to stitch NON panorama tilesets?

by Panoram1x » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:52 am

Hi,

You can try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31164#p181055

And in addition, if you are using Autopano Giga version, specify 'multiple viewpoints'.
Experimentation is the funniest way to learn, to ask the fastest
jordi.panoram1x[at]gmail[dot]com

no avatar
nucleaeon

Topic author
Info

by nucleaeon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:11 am

Taking your advice, I still have problems. For example, when I run Detect, it shows "Group 0 - 8 panoramas found", when it really should only be one since all images were taking so that they overlay one another. Here is the first output example:

Settings are:
60 images
F: 2000 mm
S: 0
A: F0.0

Group Settings:

Optimization:

Panorama:

Render:

no avatar
Panoram1x

Info

by Panoram1x » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:55 am

In group settings/links you should check "Force every imatge to be on one panorama".
Un other hand this looks like here are a detection problem, this may be due to lack of detail, or repetitive patterns, or ...
How much overlap is there between the images?
What is the scan pattern of the images? ...Maybe you could use the GigaPan import wizard to place the images.
Last edited by Panoram1x on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
nucleaeon

Topic author
Info

by nucleaeon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:33 am

Okay, the "Force every image to be on one panorama" did force them all together, which is good, but it is still having trouble as you say, probably from such fine and seemingly repeating detail as this is from a very ancient map.

I suppose that if I could roughly place images where they would go in some kind of a table, that would be very workable. But I'm not seeing the "Gigapan panorama import" functionality that really allows me to place these..... I see "Shoot layout" but that's rather limited in that these were captured from left to right and then down and right to left and then again left to right, etc. in a snaking pattern down the image.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

by olivierbo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:45 am

Hello,

Just open File menu, Import Then choose Gigapan. You have 4 different shooting layout you can use: http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... -_Import...

Let me know if you're still having issue with your panorama.

Best,
Olivier

no avatar
Panoram1x

Info

by Panoram1x » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:27 am

Exactly this is the reason why I used the word "maybe".
Unfortunately Gigapan only foresees the possibility of firing from right to left or in reverse, always in the same direction, but not in serpentine (alternating direction).
I do not know how many images in total we are talking about, but ... I start thinking about crazy solutions ... would it be possible to change the name of the images in even rows so that their alphabetical order is the reverse and so we can use the import module of Gigapan? (Bulk rename software?)
Anyway, before doing more complicated things you can try to raise the detection quality to "high".
Last edited by Panoram1x on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Panoram1x

Info

by Panoram1x » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:32 am

Ha ha ha twice!

I do not know what happened but the duplicate post has disappeared.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:59 am

I deleted it! ;)

Olivier

no avatar
nucleaeon

Topic author
Info

by nucleaeon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:23 pm

OK, yeah that helped a lot (but still problems) using the "GigaPan import wizard", but to get it to work I had to renumber all images. There are 60 images in this case 6 images per column and 10 rows (but "GigaPan import" has a bug where it flips nomenclature with columns being rows and vice versa - columns are supposed to be vertical, while rows should be horizontal).

• • I named them: 01.1, 01.2, 01.3, ... 01.6, 02.1, ... 10.6
  • • I then set it to order them in this same fashion left to right and down. (If there was a serpentine option it would have worked without rename.)
On import I got a very fisheye style distortion in the composite image, but after disabling "First lens distortion" and "Final lens distortion" in Settings -> Optimization (tab) then I got a better presentation, but it's now "pinched" instead of being rectangular:

(FYI, changing focal to 2000+ just made it crazy blurry and it did not compose correctly; seems it has to be 0 mm.)

no avatar
Panoram1x

Info

by Panoram1x » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Previously I have obtained a good result using a very long focal length and it seems that this also worked when I suggested these adjustments to others.
This deformation in pincushion in the final image suggests some problem with the focal distance.
Keep in mind that we are forcing Autopano to do something for which it has not been designed and to force a large focal length is just a way to work with Autopano without camera rotation.
I do not know in which way Autopano handles a focal distance of 0 mm. I'm running out of ideas (Even if they're crazy).
The discontinuities in your final image continue to indicate detection problems at the control points level.
Right now, and without seeing the images (And being able to work with them) I'm a bit lost, would you be able to share them?

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:08 am

Hello,

As Jordi said, if you can send or share your footage, it will be great. Let me know if you want to keep it as confidential, and I will send you a PM.

Best,
Olivier

no avatar
nucleaeon

Topic author
Info

by nucleaeon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:59 pm

OK guys, well I guess this would make it easier to get the settings right. And I guess there's no real reason to not share the tiles since the source is in the public domain. I just don't want someone getting bi*chy with me. I'll PM each of you the source tiles.

EDIT: Olivier I couldn't send you a PM

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:58 am

Hello,

I sent you a PM ;)

Best,
Olivier