Spherical panorama with sky Nadir  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
RogerSAllen

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Spherical panorama with sky Nadir

by RogerSAllen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:41 am

Hi

I have taken a few spherical panoramas just fine with my drone and they stitch well.

Of course with a drone its not possible to take pictures upwards to get the full sky but then I saw a youtube clip where someone took a drone pano and then immediately landed and then pointed the drone camera upwards to get a few shots to complete the sphere. I thought this was a great idea, however I'm struggling to stitch these shots into the pano so I'm hoping someone here and point me in the right direction.

I took three shots pointing upwards which stitch by themselves just fine but If I just hit detect on all photos it thinks it is two panos. If I force them into one pano it says there are two sub panos. I've tried editing in GPS cords using exiftool in case that would help, that made no difference. I've also examined the pitch roll and yaw exif xmp figures from the photos and typed them in, that seemed to at least place them in the correct place in the control point editor but didn't seem to increase the size of the pano. I thought that hitting the quick optimise at this point would help, but that just seems to undo the placement.

So am I missing something here or is it just the case that I don't have enough coverage of the sky?

Thanks
Roger
Last edited by RogerSAllen on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
RogerSAllen

Topic author
Info

Re: Drone panorama with sky Nadir

by RogerSAllen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:51 am

For anyone interested, a set of photos can be found here, the last three are the ones I took from the ground with the camera pointed skyward. The onedrive is still synching but when complete there are 37 photos

https://networkcentricsupport365-my.sha ... Nl2GQIg7HA

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

Re: Spherical panorama with sky Nadir

by Panoram1x » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:44 am

You are right, the three images of the sky do not cover the hole (they completely overlap between them) and not even dragging them manually out of the relative position between them are enough to close the panorama.

You should experiment to find a pattern for the shots from the ground so that you can cover the part that the drone can not shoot from the air.

In the image I have rotated the panorama (Yaw -90º), it is like looking directly at the zenith, and I have moved the three images in a block to try to cover the hole (I have also brought the color correction beyond reasonable for Highlight these three images).

Zenit_01.JPG

no avatar
RogerSAllen

Topic author
Info

by RogerSAllen » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks for that! That is most useful and confirmed by fears. Yes I'll have to experiment then taking more photos from the ground at angles other than just vertical.

Incidentally, although there is no overlap, how did you manage to get the three photos placed correctly? Did you have to place them manually by typing in the pitch/roll/yaw values?

Roger

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

by Panoram1x » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:59 pm

In the panorama editor window you must select "move tool" (1) and "move images" (2) ("Do not select "panorama" #3)
Then locate the images that you want to move and with Ctrl + Click select them (4)
Now you can move them in a single block and without losing their relative position.

Sin título-1.jpg

no avatar
RogerSAllen

Topic author
Info

by RogerSAllen » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Ah thanks for the tip. ok looks like I'm going to spend next weekend in the fields getting that perfect sphere. You can mark the thread as solved but I'll aim to report back when I have managed to stitch one

Roger