DNG, colorspaces and optical corrections  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
bonelli

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

DNG, colorspaces and optical corrections

by bonelli » Thu May 26, 2016 5:19 pm

Hello,
Bonjour la Savoie,

(autopano pro, win 7 x64)

I'm using a Pentax k5 to take my photo in DNG mode. Usually I use the "camera raw" plugin in Photoshop to quickly process the raw image. I am always working in the AdobeRGB98 colorspace.

When importing the DNG files directly into autopano, the highlights (not burned in the DNG file) are burned on the autopano output file

When first preprocessing the DNG with camera raw and saving the images as tif / 16 bits / adobe RGB98, and then importing the tif files into autopano, the resulting panorama is correct, but the used profile is not indicated in the tif. I have to indicate to photoshop that the image profile is adobeRGB.

It seems that autopano works by default in sRGB.

1- What is the right process ?
2- If I use camera raw to preprocess the DNG and convert it to TIFF, should I apply the lens correction in camera raw, should I leave this job to Autopano ?
3- Does Autopano correctly handle adobeRGB colorspace ?

Thank you
Best regards

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

Re: DNG, colorspaces and optical corrections

by olivierbo » Fri May 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Hello,

You can put your RAW files in APG but it's not "recommended".
Autopano is stiching software, not RAW decoding software, so Autopano will only decode the RAW files with the very default values, defeating the whole purpose of RAW shooting. It is best to treat your RAWs in dedicated software beforehand. Prefer shooting in JPG or TIFF if you do not want to treat the RAW photos.

By default, the distorsion is set to default which means that Autopano decides by itself if it is necessary to apply a distorsion calculation or not (barrel or pincushion).
You can also set this option to "Do not optimize" but not necessary in most of the cases.

Finally, the default color space is sRGB and can't be changed.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
Nanard

Liked in: 3 posts
Info

by Nanard » Fri May 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Olivier,
You mean, if you have several images with Adobe RGB color space in input, the output panorama will be (implicitely) in sRGB ? So Autopano is converting color values from Adobe RGB to sRGB ? Please confirm, because I think Kolor always said Autopano was not doing any color space convertion ?
Bernard

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

by olivierbo » Mon May 30, 2016 2:47 pm

Hello,

We use sRGB as a default profile. That being said, if you define Adobe RG98, Autopano should reuse it.
Can you share a TIFF file so that we can make a test?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Olivier