Bracket Rotation Problem  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
kurdi87

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Bracket Rotation Problem

by kurdi87 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:10 pm

I was wondering about what does Autopano use to determine the orientation of RAW images.

I am trying to stitch together HDR panoramas using bracketed exposures. The problem I am facing is that because of the camera vibrating when shooting the brackets, some of the photos within the same brackets have different orientations. When stitching JPEGs the solution would be to just rotate the images to match the reference image orientation. But for RAW files, I've tried changing the orientation in the EXIF tag but no matter how I change it, it does not change in Autopano. Because I'm using hard links this is causing the non-reference layers to stitch incorrectly.

So to reiterate, how does Autopano determine the orientation of RAW images and how can I solve this issue?

APG.PNG

Explorer.PNG

294 Exif.PNG

295 Exif.PNG

no avatar
kurdi87

Topic author
Info

Re: Bracket Rotation Problem

by kurdi87 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:30 am

Any suggestions?

no avatar
klausesser2

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by klausesser2 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:23 pm

kurdi87 wrote:Any suggestions?

Yes: do not change ANYTHING before putting in the images to APG. Let it to APG completely.
APG uses the EXIFs.

But i strongly suggest to process the brackets PRIOR to stitching in a dedicated HDR-program like Photomatix, Oloneo or whatever and to save them as TIFFs.
In these dedicated HDR-programs you have MUCH more and better options to control the parameters.

I´m doing so for years and never had any issue.

best, Klaus

no avatar
kurdi87

Topic author
Info

by kurdi87 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:26 am

klausesser2 wrote:
kurdi87 wrote:Any suggestions?

Yes: do not change ANYTHING before putting in the images to APG. Let it to APG completely.
APG uses the EXIFs.

Thanks for the reply. Even before changing anything, with the photos straight from the camera the issue shows up.

klausesser2 wrote:But i strongly suggest to process the brackets PRIOR to stitching in a dedicated HDR-program like Photomatix, Oloneo or whatever and to save them as TIFFs.
In these dedicated HDR-programs you have MUCH more and better options to control the parameters.

I´m doing so for years and never had any issue.

best, Klaus

I stitch then tonemap because that is the recommended workflow from HDRSoft. It's better for me that way because Photomatix would take the whole tonal range into account that way.

So does anyone know what determines image rotation in APG.

Thanks Again,

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

by Panoram1x » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:22 am

I completely agree with Klaus, first tonemap then stitch ...

I do not know what are your settings for detection, but you can also try these adjustments to solve the problem with the rotation.

Detect_01.jpg

no avatar
kurdi87

Topic author
Info

by kurdi87 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:19 am

Panoram1x wrote:I completely agree with Klaus, first tonemap then stitch ...

I do not know what are your settings for detection, but you can also try these adjustments to solve the problem with the rotation.

The attachment Detect_01.jpg is no longer available

I was trying to stitch using hard links for stacks and detecting links in the reference layer only. I went ahead and tried out your suggestion but it just couldn't find any control points for the misrotated images and kept them misrotated as before.

CP Editor 1.png

Pano Editor 1.png

I then tried to add control points to those images to all of the other images in the same stack and then fully optimised but instead of just rotating the images it shifted them into another location.

CP Editor 2.png

Pano Editor 2.png

I think the solution would be to change the parameter that APG is using to rotate the images within the RAW files themselves. I just need to know what that parameter is. I need someone from Kolor to answer this question. It clearly is not the rotation tag in EXIF, so what exactly is it?

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

by Panoram1x » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:35 am

I never knew that Autopano have any option related to the orientation of the input images.
But I think you have two options that you can explore ...

1. Adjust the quality of detection to high. Takes much longer to detect ... But it may be that in this way detect missing links.

2. Make a test by creating the panorama without using the darker image of each stack. I think that only serves to have detail in the spotlight and so makes the final image would be a little brighter.

Let us know if any of these ideas have helped you to solve your problem.