Install Papywizard v2 on Nokia N8x0
This page describes all the steps needed to install Papywizard v2 on a Nokia N800 or N810 Internet Tablet.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Nokia N8x0
- 2.1 Update to the latest 0S2008 firmware
- 2.2 Add the Maemo Extra Application Catalogue
- 2.3 Add the maemo Extras Devel Application Catalogue
- 2.4 Install the required program packages - godmode, Python 2.5 runtime and PyQt
- 2.5 Install the latest stable version of Papywizard v2
- 2.6 Run Papywizard v2
- 2.7 If you run into a problem
- 3 Register and let us know who you are
In order to run Papywizard v2 your Nokia Internet Tablet must run OS2008 or later. This means that Papywizard v2 only works on N8x0 devices, papywizard v2 is not supported on the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet.
The N800 was originally supplied with OS2007 but will run all versions of OS2008. So you need to upgrade your N800 to the latest version of OS2008 before installing Papywizard v2. And it will run faster and be more stable than when running OS2007.
The N810 was shipped with OS2008. It is recommended that you update your N810 to the latest version of OS2008 before installing Papywizard v2.
The N800 and N810 can run the same version of OS2008. The basic/core hardware of the N800 and N810 is very similar but the N810 has a slide out keyboard and has only one removable card slot and 2GB internal storage; the N800 has two removable card slots instead, and no slide out keyboard.
Papywizard v2 is written using the Python programming language. You must install the Python 2.5 runtime and PyQt library before installing Papywizard v2.
Update to the latest 0S2008 firmware
- download the OS2008 firmware (use the latest one)
- download and install the Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard
- run the wizard to update the firmware - more instructions here
- see here
Add the Maemo Extra Application Catalogue
- power up your Nokia N8x0 Tablet.
- from the Home screen, run the Application Manager program which will be found in Tools
- open the menu Tools > Application catalogue...
- double-tap Maemo extra
- uncheck the Disabled checkbox
If the catalogue is not already there, add a new Application Catalogue with the following values:
Name maemo extra Address http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ Components free non-free
or install from here
Add the maemo Extras Devel Application Catalogue
Add a new Application Catalogue with the following values:
Name maemo Extras Devel Address http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/ Components free non-free
or install from here
Install the required program packages - godmode, Python 2.5 runtime and PyQt
- install the godmod.deb program package by clicking the link when browsing this page using your Nokia Tablet
- open the Application Manager
- browse the list of Installable Applications.
- select and install maemo-python-device-env
- launch the X Terminal program from Extras, then run the following commands from the command line prompt to install the Python 2.5 runtime and PyQt library:
$ sudo gainroot # apt-get install python2.5-runtime # apt-get install python2.5-bluez # apt-get install python2.5-qt4-core python2.5-qt4-gui python2.5-qt4-network
You will see a mass of scrolling text and occasionally be prompted to enter 'Y/N' - always enter 'Y' - eventually you will be returned to the command line prompt. You have now completed the installation of the Python 2.5 runtime and PyQt.
- close the X Terminal program and return to the Home screen
Install the latest stable version of Papywizard v2
Unlike Papywizard v1, Papywizard v2 can only be installed by downloading the package, and manually install it. In fact, this can be done very easily from the N800/N810 Web browser. Just click on the maemo .deb package you will find here, the program package will be downloaded and installed by the Application Manager.
Run Papywizard v2
- select Papywizard, you will find it under Extras
- load the Papywizard program and configure the settings to match your camera, lens and the type of connection you wish to use to connect to the Merlin/Orion head - see the User Guide for details
If you run into a problem
If you get stuck at any point in the installation post a message in the Autopano Forum and we will be happy to help you.
Register and let us know who you are
If you would like to add yourself to a list of Merlin/Orion and Papywizard users.