Complete Panotour GUI Overhaul!!!  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
MojoJojo

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

Complete Panotour GUI Overhaul!!!

by MojoJojo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 am

Listen Up GoPro, Either get OUT of the tour creation business or Completely Overhaul your GUI,

If you want fresh individuals to buy your software then you have got to do something about the Panotour GUI. I've been in the game since 2007 and have to say that the GUI is a complete disaster and I'm amazed that it even exists. There is absolutely no way in hell that a beginner is going to be able to purchase this product and create a tour without having to ask a million questions in the forums with the hope that they'll get an answer because there may not even be a solution.

So far from my experience, Panotour was created in opposite land. For example, when you twist, turn and pull a door knob what happens? The door opens right? Not in Panotourland. In Panotourland the door closes even though it was already shut.

I was literally having an easier time using bare boned krpano then I am having with Panotour which was supposedly created to streamline the tour creation process of krpano. At least with krpano, you know where everything is because you are adding the "everything". Tourpano's GUI is so all over the place that even the absolute simplest of tasks have been taken to a difficulty level of 20 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I can only imagine the frustration any beginners (or tour creating experts for that matter) are going through when they attempt to use your product because in just 3 days of using it I am pulling my hair out because in Panotourland there is no simple way of doing things that makes any sort of sense.

Some Examples (and I have 100's):

1. MOST IMPORTANT! NEVER....and I'll repeat....NEVER have a computer programmer design a Graphic User Interface that are meant to be "user friendly". That's the worst idea ever because they already know how the damn thing works. If you want a user friendly interface then you have to enlist the cooperation of non programmers that are familiar with the concept of features required to create a finished product. It's a simple matter of clicking on something and then following a set of sequences that make sense to a "non user"....and Panotour does not.

2. There no easy way to set the pan and tilt limits of either each individual scene or all the scenes at once! WTF??? This is part of the basics or tour creating. A panorama is viewed by panning and tilting so it only makes sense to have control over that function......but there isn't. Instead you have to either crop the individual panoramas OR I have to include an additional XML file....but wait, there's no readily available documentation on how to even configure and use the additional xml file.

3. The "Style" page. Now this is an absolute disaster. The layout makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever and if you have anything more than a couple plugins activated then things become beyond confusing and it's quite simply mind numbing. It's not even that it's intimidating, it's as if it makes no sense. Who thought that this was a good, user friendly design? It's impossible to navigate coherently. The Style page shouldn't even be a page by itself. It should be available WHILE you are working on your tour on the "Tour" page.

4. Option to edit xml files DOES NOT EXIST. Huh? If I want to customize my tour beyond the capabilities of Panotour then I need xml file editing access. I can't even set the pano tilt (though I can literally SEE that the parameters exist within the xml file) within the xml file to limit viewing ranges. As soon as you edit the file and then build the tour, the xml file is overwritten with the previous build. Only parameters that have been defined from within Panotour itself are saved to the file. Ridiculous.

5. 3rd Party Plugins? If I want anything that is inherently considered a basic virtual tour function, I need to purchase a 3rd party plugin? This to me borders on criminal. Not only am I receiving a product that is going to turn my hair grey but I'm also going to need to spend even more money on additional 3rd party plugins to do what Panotour should have done from the get go. These plugins weren't created to extend the functionality of Panotour. They were created because Panotour for whatever reason didn't include these basic functionalities to begin with. Huge difference. It would be like if a car maker sold their cars without steering wheels and I had to go buy the steering wheel separately to even drive the car.

6. Why am I editing an objects functionality on a page other than where the object actually is? This is insane. I have to add an object to the tour and then go over to the Style page to manipulate its functions? C-mon people! This is just plain stupid. Even adding a simple image to the interface has been made difficult because now if I want to fine tune it's placement I have to go to the style page, edit the X or Y, then build the tour, preview the tour....nope not enough....back to style page, increase/decrease the values, build the tour, preview the tour, nope still not right, back to style page, increase/decrease the values, build the tour, preview the tour, nope still not right, back to style page, increase/decrease the values, build the tour, preview the tour, nope still not right.......WHAT IN THE HEEEEEEEEL IS GOING ON HERE????

To be honest, this whole platform should still be in beta. The design flaws are irresponsible and with a pricetag
of over $450 it's inexcusable and definitely not worth the money spent.

I know that some brave soul will jump-in in an attempt to defend Panotour by saying something silly like "well if you don't like it then you shouldn't have bought it", or "Nobody's forcing you to use the software", or who knows what else they'll think of, but that's not the point.

The point is this, Panotour was created to make money. I am a new user. I have over 11 years experience creating tours for names like Trump Towers, Jones Lang Lasalle, Paul Mitchell, McDonalds, Pacific Aviation Museum, Coldwell Banker, Hilton, Sheraton, etc.... and if I can't figure out how to use the software due to the poorly made GUI and lack of basic tour creating features, then what are the odds a beginner to creating tours is going to have an easy time at it? Slim to none.

I'm done..... my rant is over for now but should really be taken into consideration for future functionality development. Now I'll go slam my head with the door a few times before attempting to decipher this mess again.
Last edited by MojoJojo on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

MojoJojo

Topic author
Info

Re: Complete Panotour GUI Overhaul!!!

by MojoJojo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 am

7. If you have additional 3rd party plugins installed.....you may not be able to even use all of the plugins found within the core Panotour. As you add more plugins, the plugin space on the right begins to fill up.....because you have added more plugins. Once it's beyond full, you cannot access some of the plugins because there is no way to scroll down to view them all and the drop down arrows are useless at this point. If you don't know the name of the plugin to search for it or even if you just want to browse through them all to see what exists, you can't.....there's no way to do it. The plugins are hidden below the Panotour window.

MojoJojo

Topic author
Info

by MojoJojo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:47 am

8. Dear GOD, if Panotour was alive, we would have come to the conclusion that it was mentally handicapped. Floorplan Radar....... what in the world were you thinking????? How did you take such a simple concept and turn it into a beyond complicated task? I'm truly dumbfounded. Instead of a simple 1+1=2, you've decided to take the ridiculous route of:
2.jpg
2.jpg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 594 times

Absolutely insane. It's really no wonder I thought Panotour was inferior when I checked out the competitor tours made with it. Most individuals only have the ability to create a simple tour as opposed to something amazing because they don't have the coding skills required to pull this puzzle apart.

Once you figure it out though.....it's relatively easy.....it's the figuring out that is maddening and unless you know the exact terminology to find help for what you're looking to do.....good luck.

no avatar
benji33
Kolor Team

Liked in: 199 posts
Info

by benji33 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:38 pm

We are aware of some of these disasters.
Thanks for your feedback.
Benjamin

MojoJojo

Topic author
Info

by MojoJojo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:18 pm

benji33 wrote:We are aware of some of these disasters.
Thanks for your feedback.

You are very diplomatic Benjamin. Don't mind me too much. I just need to vent every now and then, especially after spending hours trying to figure out something that in the end takes only 10 seconds to do. And God forbid if you're irresponsible enough to not take notes or write down how you did it....and then forget how you did it....cause there's a few more hours spent on figuring out whats already been figured out just so you can figure it out again :-)

Good times ;-)

benji33 likes this post.