360 stereo (ODS): eyes flipped  

Share your tips, tricks or get help with using GoPro VR Player!
no avatar
paulmelis

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

360 stereo (ODS): eyes flipped

by paulmelis » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:36 am

Hi,

First of all let me say I really like GoPro VR Player. It's pretty much the only functional player for 360 VR content, including stereo, that isn't broken in some way (Youtube VR: keeps crashing, win10 only; VLC: no 3D support; Bigscreen: unusable interface, no good 360 support; Steam 360 player: apparently needs some manual patching of OS files; DeoVR: only has UI-in-VR, can't get it to work; etc, etc). This is on Win 8 by the way, with a GTX1080 for rendering and HTC Vive for viewing.

I've been experimenting with omnidirectional stereo content and it's working quite well. However I noticed that left/right eyes appear to be flipped in movies compared to viewing a picture. See the attached picture and movie, which follow the left/right eye convention in https://developers.google.com/vr/jump/r ... ontent.pdf (page 7). The movie is simply the picture repeated for 400 frames. When I load the picture in GoPro VR player and set stereoscopy to Side-A-over-B I get correct left/right eye rendering, as expected. But if I load the movie stereo needs to be set to Side-B-over-A instead. The video playback is also not consistent with Google's own omnidirectional stereo content, such as the Jump videos on https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... sk5zJ33PJm. Those also need B-over-A for correct playback.

Keep up the good work!
Paul
Attachments
lr-test.mp4
(227.44 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
lr-test.png
Last edited by paulmelis on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
paulmelis

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: 360 stereo (ODS): eyes flipped

by paulmelis » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:19 am

This is with 3.0.5, btw

lmartin
Kolor Team

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

Re: 360 stereo (ODS): eyes flipped

by lmartin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 am

Yes you're right I can reproduce the issue. It only occurs with videos and when using VLC backend.

Thank you for your feedback!