Computer Specs for Gigapixel Panos  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
dzeek

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Computer Specs for Gigapixel Panos

by dzeek » Mon May 07, 2018 2:55 pm

I've been creating 100-200 megapixel panos and my computer has been performing well. I just stated experimenting with 1000-1200 megapixel panos and editing is now quite slow. It takes 30-60 secs to draw the updated pano image in the editor after making a change. I can't see the pano image while I am dragging to level it. Would upgrading to a higher spec machine help much? My current system is i7-7700K, 16 GB memory, NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung 960 PRO SSD. The bottleneck during editing seems to be the CPU and SSD. The current pano I'm working on is made up of 60 TIF images each of which is 40 megapixels.

no avatar
bastibasti

Liked in: 1 post
Info

Re: Computer Specs for Gigapixel Panos

by bastibasti » Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 am

For making images like this, you could make a huge amazon cloud server (you can rent them hourly)
So what you do is rent a cheap as possible amazon cloud server, install and set up the ubuntu + autopano - then you change the machine type to for example c5.18x machine has 72 cpus and 144gb of ram for 4$ per hour. you can never buy a machine nearly as good and use it often enough to pay for it ....

Then, you switch off the machine when you are done - I pay about 1$ per month for storage of the image file.

dzeek likes this post.

no avatar
dzeek

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Computer Specs for Gigapixel Panos

by dzeek » Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks. Interesting idea.