Nikon KeyMission????  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 227 posts
Info

Nikon KeyMission????

by Destiny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:20 am

Hi...

Has anyone purchased and used the Nikon KeyMission.?????. I was in Harvey Norman the other day and got to see one close up.. I was very impressed with the build.. Its a lot heavier than I thought it might be.. It has a kind of rubber frame to protect it.. Its really quite nice.. In fact as soon as I saw images of it a years ago pre launch, I loved the design. I still do.. Its well made but.. all the media captured I have seen so far is not so good.. The guy in the shop said it might be fixed with firmware, but I do not really understand all that stuff.. I will hang out for the MK2.... I was thinking that if it was to be attached to a gimble it would capture smooth 360 video... I am sure in time the KM will improve to be worth buying...

I would love to see any media footage anyone might have captured using the KM...

Destiny..

no avatar
jimbee

Liked in: 13 posts
Info

Re: Nikon KeyMission????

by jimbee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:56 am

You may have seen the recent review on DpReview:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-keymission-360-review

One of the opening statements pretty much sums up the reason I returned the one I bought after less that 2 days of use:

>>The hardware impresses in many ways, but the software and interaction with mobile devices quickly make you forget about those advantages. Although Nikon is making incremental progress, you may find the urge to test the camera’s shockproof construction by throwing it across the room.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:43 am

Hi.. Some of those comment reviews I feel are a bit ignorant.. Comments made with little understanding of the 360 media.. A few comments I would agree with.. I like the look and feel of the Key Mission and was expecting great things, but the output video is not that good at all... It has parallax issues, blending issues and WB issues, even colour issues.. Its not worth buying... Sad to say...

Now we find that GoPro have not been sitting on the fence when it comes to 360 video and still pano cameras.. Their demo video is very impressive, captured from their new GoPro Fusion 360 Camera.. Unlike Nikon first demo video, which looked terrible.. The great thing about the GoPro Fusion is, the Kolor software .. Kolor are key to achieving high quality video and 360 still pano images. They know their stuff so with Kolor software inside, or outside, we have yet to find out, the new GoPro Fusion should be the best option available at an affordable price.. We can only hope!! Not much information on it yet so we just have to wait and see..

Destiny...

no avatar
robhanson

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by robhanson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:21 am

I have one and for the most part I like it. What I do not like. If you are using any IOS hardware, (iPads, IPhones) they are unable to keep up with the software updates from Apple. So if you are using SanpBridge to control your KM you are out of luck. The KM utility needs a lot of work. The product is so new, Tech support dose not even have it listed. With all of that said, it takes really good VR 360 footage.

Kind Regards,

rob hanson

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:38 am

Well, I had one in my hand last year and felt it was a great little designed camera but all the media I have seen is not so good. In my view Nikon failed to produce a great 360 camera despite the fact that they have extensive resources and tech knowledge to call on.. I feel they get a 10/10 for design but a 5/10 for quality of media output ...

I would suggest you hang out for the new GoPro Fusion.. I am almost certain that the media will be amazing since Kolor know how is inside it.. But not so sure they will win any design awards for the case.. We just have to wait and see what the final camera looks like. GoPro needs to realise and understand that people buy on 'Wow it looks sooo cool'.. as well as produces cool perfect media..

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:23 am

Yes.. As I said its a beautifully designed camera but as for the output media quality, which is the the important part, its not great. Far from it. Not sure if things can be improved via software updates.. At the moment It wins on design but not for media output..

The GoPro Fusion will be available soon.. It should be heaps better. Not so sure about the camera design but as I said, the important factor is the output media quality.. This camera has Kolor inside so it should be awesome.. I am hanging out to check this new 360 camera out.. Only a few big companies are getting the first cameras.. I think it will capture a single pano image too.. No one knows the specs yet...

Destiny...

DJW

Liked in: 3 posts
Info

by DJW » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:53 am

Hi Destiny

I purchased the Keymission 360 on release in the UK, so about 6 months ago I think, together with the Nikon approved accessories, all on pre order for several months. I shoot with Nikon DSLRs for stills so trusted that Nikon would deliver with the Keymission, big mistake. I had big trouble getting it to pair and stay paired, even when it was it just seemed unpredictable (when used with iPhone 6+). I would have been prepared to wait for a firmware / software update to fix this, but then when testing the device I found the video image quality just not acceptable, I felt the dynamic range was pretty poor, to a degree I'm not sure it can be addressed in software. I use an OMNI rig and was looking for a lower cost solution that could supplement the OMNI, to put in harms way sometimes without risking the OMNI, or as a secondary camera. Then as usual the parallax issues...

The Keymission lasted 5 days and went back for a full refund...

I've played with the Theta S, it seems more reliable and versatile. I wouldn't use it for real work due to low resolution, but I do look forward to seeing the 4k version due later this year. And as you say, the Fusion should be good with Kolor involved. (But I sense that the OMNI is maybe being hung out to dry as a result of the Fusion... That's a pity...)

I accept that this whole field is very much evolving at the moment, and am used to dealing with hardware / software that not quite 100% ready for primetime... But felt that Nikon had taken this a bit too far with the Keymission on this occasion.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi.. Its a real shame you had to send the KeyMisson back.. I really do like their design.. It feels very nice in the hand.. Its a lot heaver than I thought it might be.. Its really well made and awesome looking.. But as you have seen the media quality is not the best.. Very surprising really since it is Nikon.. I love Nikon cameras .. I love my D800 and D90.. I would dearly love to own a D5 but heaps of $$$, which I will never have.. I did post my comments about there NPP issue and also colour issues before the cameras was released but they ignored me.. Thats up to them.. I would have bought one is the quality was good.. I wonder how many others feel the same.. Nikon missed out as far as I am concerned.. They need to learn to listen to feedback..

So far I am not impressed with the GoPro Fusion camera casing.. It will never win any awards but the main thing is the Media output.. I am certain it will be awesome. But who knows.. GoPro have a habit of surprising people. They might have a better designed casing in the works.. The images of the new camera I have seen so far make the camera look old before it was even new.. I guess only time will tell. I really really hope they have gotten it right..

Destiny...

no avatar
Stellaban

Info

by Stellaban » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:03 am

That's up to them... I would have offered one is the pleasant became precise. I'm wondering what number of others experience the same. Essay Writer Nikon ignored out as some distance as I'm involved. I might be prepared to watch for a firmware/software replace to fix this, however then while testing the tool I found the video image exceptional just no longer appropriate, I felt the dynamic variety changed into pretty terrible, to some extent I'm now not positive it is able to be addressed in software.

no avatar
Stellaban

Info

by Stellaban » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 am

ook

no avatar
williambishop142

Info

by williambishop142 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Sometimes it isn't continually best to be one amongst the primary ones with a brand new style of product. Sometimes, the guy/company World Health Organization waits with patience to visualize wherever the primary company failing, is that the one that prevails. generally this logic works, generally it does not... it's all a big gamble--everything's a gamble -- new merchandise even in mature markets could be a gamble. Nikon simply got unlucky, however still encompasses a likelihood to repair the matter and create the simplest of it i believe. It all depends on however they handle true that may very outline the KeyMission in my opinion. Buy essay online