What do you do with your original files?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:05 am

How about 6TB in 4 seconds.... >>>>>>>> My husband when he was in the RAAF setup cameras for the F111.. He showed me an image once.. It was very long and the over Brisbane city... You could see one edge of the city to the other edge, upside-down to each other.. very very detailed photography.. A single raw image worth of data could be as much as 6TB of data taking just 4 seconds to capture.. The images were stored on taps and servers.. Taps are an older technology but they are quite cheap and can save heaps of data. We had Taps at our old school to backup everything, heaps of data on one tape.. I had to take one home and so did the admin lady as backups.. There are some big companies too that offer huge data storage option, Cloud types.. But what ever you choose to do with such a lot of data, its going to be expensive.. You really need to weigh up the cost of storing such a heap of data.. Ask yourself if the data at anytime will bring you an income to offset the cost of storing the data.. If not then compress and keep the best and dump the rest.. You will also need an extensive catalogue so you can find and retrieve the data for later use, or you might well spend far to much time trying to find it.. What ever you do, its all going to be expensive and time consuming from Cataloguing to Storing...

Destiny..

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:58 am

Taps? Tapes! Magnetic tapes, a larger version of the music tapes we used to have in Sony's Walkman and alike.

let's have a look at what can be bough for 2000 euro http://mmcshop.nl/p/103334/hp-lto-4-ultrium-1760-sas-internal-ww-tape-drive?gclid=CI7osrjW0bgCFYtY3godCFsABA
It uses tapes that can hold 3 GB compressed, but 1,6 TB uncompressed. So that would be enough for one week of shots. See http://mmcshop.nl/p/142893/hp-lto4-ultrium-16-tb-worm-tape-datacartridge. All that for 40 euro is not bad of course.

BUT.... let's look at external harddisks..... for example 4 TB at 256 euro http://mmcshop.nl/p/178626/freecom-sq-4tb-usb-30
It is just an example but you get the idea.

I would like to know at which number of tapes the initial 2000 euro will have paid itself back

The price of tapemachine and tapes together are 2000 + x * 40 ( x being the number of tapes)
The price of the harddisks will be y * 256 ( y being the number of harddisks)
we know that when x * 1.6 = y*4 we have equal capacity

So conditions are
2000 + x * 40 = y * 256
x * 1.6 = y * 4

so
2000 + x * 40 = y * 256
x = y * 4/1.6

so
2000 + x * 40 = y * 256
x = y * 2.5

so
2000 + y * 2.5 * 40 = y * 256
x = y * 2.5

so
2000 + y * 100 = y * 256
x = y * 2.5

so
2000 = y * 156
x = y * 2.5

so
2000/156 = y
x = y * 2.5

so
2000/156 = y = 12,8
x = y * 2.5 = 12.8 * 2.5 = 32.05

So after buying and using harddisk nr 13 it would have been cheaper to have gone with tapes.

Can somebody check my math, I think I am a bit rusty.

Of course one could buy a 3000 euro drive http://mmcshop.nl/p/177789/hp-storeever-lto-6-ultrium-6250-external-tape-drive
uses a 90 euro tape that can hold 3 TB uncompressed, up to 6 GB compressed http://mmcshop.nl/p/146274/hp-lto-6-ultrium-625tb-mp-rw-data-cartridge
Last edited by HansKeesom on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
Artisan New

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Artisan New » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:37 am

Yeps, as a onetime employe of Onstream I sure know tape, but tapedrives are expensive.....and notoriously vulnarable (the tape not the drive) as is shown by rather limited storage conditions (20 to 60 humidity is a limited range, in houses humidity can go over 70% easily in damp weather as it is today even above 80%). The biggest tapedrive I used was at ING Barings in the late 90th.....I had to milleniumtest a tapedrive by IBM....it was controled using a OS2 computer and I had a delay to a very unusual cause.....a bigger hole had to be drilled in the side of bank to allow the robot to enter the building.....it was huge enough to walk through.

But a 2000 euro tapedrive could be a solution if you checked tapestorage conditions....but you can go over the top if you insist......this baby

http://www.fujitsu.com/fts/products/computing/storage/tape/eternus/lt60/index.html

controling 48 tapes cam store 300 TB enoug for 5 years and 40 weeks.....

Greets, Ed.

P.S. Hans you explain math a lot more clear then my former math teacher......up yours mr. De Jong.

P.S.S. Carefull Destiny living at the Moscow airport lounge isn't as comfortable as asumed :).....
Last edited by Artisan New on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:09 am

Artisan New wrote:Yeps, as a onetime employe of Onstream I sure know tape, but tapedrives are expensive.....and notoriously vulnarable (the tape not the drive) as is shown by rather limited storage conditions (20 to 60 humidity is a limited range, in houses humidity can go over 70% easily in damp weather as it is today even above 80%). The biggest tapedrive I used was at ING Barings in the late 90th.....I had to milleniumtest a tapedrive by IBM....it was controled using a OS2 computer and I had a delay to a very unusual cause.....a bigger hole had to be drilled in the side of bank to allow the robot to enter the building.....it was huge enough to walk through.

But a 2000 euro tapedrive could be a solution if you checked tapestorage conditions....but you can go over the top if you insist......this baby

http://www.fujitsu.com/fts/products/computing/storage/tape/eternus/lt60/index.html

controling 48 tapes cam store 300 TB enoug for 5 years and 40 weeks.....

Greets, Ed.

P.S. Hans you explain math a lot more clear then my former math teacher......up yours mr. De Jong.

P.S.S. Carefull Destiny living at the Moscow airport lounge isn't as comfortable as asumed :).....

Hi Artisan,

Don't blame mr De Jong. I had the opportunity here to use math in a concrete situation which already had your interest. That made is very easy to get you interested in the solution and how to get there. math in concrete situation is always more interesting.

Regarding the drive, I would prefer the i6000 standing next to my coffeemachine, much be great to see the tapes being handled through that glass window
http://www.fujitsu.com/fts/products/computing/storage/tape/scalar/i6000/index.html
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
Artisan New

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Artisan New » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:38 pm

That's true, when I did math as a biology student I scored a 10 for it, and I could lecture on monte carlo analysis when I was asked to test a program for the Rabobank trading devision that used them (before they found out people don't behave like physical particles in 2008 :)). As for the i6000, no not for me, it costs a whopping 300.000 dollars (excluding software), for that kind of money I rather buy a house and a nice Mercedes.....less cool but more comfortable. My solution cost a measely 25.000 dollars, peanuts in comparison.

Greets, Ed.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

Previous