new MacPro good for APG :-)  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 am

We an always share Chris.. After all.. we are at different time zones.. ;) Actually, I am very good friends with the CEO of Cutting Edge.. He said I can use one of their Mac's anytime.. its linked to a ROOM of servers.. I mean a ROOOOM!!.. Its gets so hot in there its got its own mega big cooling system.. I was up their last week while they were working on a car advertisement.... Just amazing stuff. I sometimes put my 3D Maya and Max files on hard drive and use their Mac to render it.. Its takes about 2 minutes. where as my poor old iMac locks up after a few HOURS.. ;(::: Technology is great, if only we can all keep up with buying it all.. Even though the Pro Mac is expensive.. going by what I have read, its still going to be affordable by most who have a real for one... between $4000 to $6000 Aus for all the "bells and whistles." as it says.. I can remember when I was first looking at buying a high end PC while at Uni, they would cost that much then and were no where the power of this new Mac Pro..

Destiny..

no avatar
Artisan S.

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Artisan S. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:02 am

Yawn,

I use my computer (a humble Medion i5 with some upgrades)......it's cheap, takes it's time, but I have patience, loads of it. For anything up to 2 Mpixel more then fast enough, since Autopano code is rather efficient (made by professionals). But having the money.....well a Mac would be nice. But so would a Windows Dell Workstation or a Linux computer (allthough Ubuntu and my ancient HP laptop don't seem to get along that great).

Just some thoughts:

Personally I don't like Apple's aggresive style in advertising, never liked it, never will.

I have stopped attaching the word "professional" to a device of any kind, since non of them have made money for me on their own devices (so to speak). The only objects I can call professional are the people who opperate them. And even then I don't care wether they make a living of it or not. A professional is someone who takes his or hers craft serious, not someone who take his or hers shopping serious (unless of course you are a professional chopper, and yes these seem to exsist).

Greets, Ed.
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to... suffering (c) Yoda.....

Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Arduino Uno.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:29 am

For this statement I totally agree 1000% Ed. "Personally I don't like Apple's aggresive style in advertising, never liked it, never will." and that is why I did not buy an iPad and bought the Samsung instead.. Apple shares have also dropped as it appears many other do not like it either.. People on the whole just do not like bigheaded bullies, put down self imposed explurts or those who challenge everything as if they know it all and give little to know create to others knowledge and skills..

Nothing changes Ed.. Nice to see you back... :)))

Destiny..

klausesser

Topic author
Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:26 pm

HansKeesom wrote:Just to be sure, the fact that an OS support 128 GB says nothing about how much a machine supports.

Of course i meant the machine! ;):cool:

Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Artisan S. wrote:A professional is someone who takes his or hers craft serious.

A wise word, Ed! I fully agree by heart. And there´s - at least - one more vital point: professionals
constantly learn and are developing their skills further. Each and every day.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:46 pm

Christian Stüben wrote:128gb in 4 peaces is already available ...
http://www.alternate.de/html/listings/Hardware-Komponenten-Arbeitsspeicher-DDR3-ECC/711/?tk=7&lk=8271&order=DESC&sort=COLUMN1#listingResult

Ahem, not available, "im Zulauf" says coming soon, already in the truck on highway.
And it is only ddr3-1333 and not the preferred 1800.

So we can hope :)

@Destiny: it cannot be on your wish list, it is alredy on mine.

greetings
Chris

last edit: at last i had a look at the pricing of the 128gb ... no hope anymore :(

so 2500€ for naked Mac tube...
3500€ for RAM... (128GB)
550€ for NAS case like THECUS N7510...
1500€ for 7x4TB SATA disc to be on lowlevel Price...
9000€ for three 4K Asus PQ321 Monitors...
hmm....

Georg

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:07 pm

gkaefer wrote:
http://www.alternate.de/html/listings/Hardware-Komponenten-Arbeitsspeicher-DDR3-ECC/711/?tk=7&lk=8271&order=DESC&sort=COLUMN1#listingResult

Ahem, not available, "im Zulauf" says coming soon, already in the truck on highway.

greetings
Chris

last edit: at last i had a look at the pricing of the 128gb ... no hope anymore :(

3500€ for RAM... (128GB)
hmm....

Georg

Well - 128GB ECC RAM fo PC is the same price, is it.
So´s for the other devices.

Nobody ever expects a MacPro to be a bargain . . . :cool:;)

Let´s wait - guess RAM prices for 32GB modules will shrink the more there´s a demand for them . .

best, Klaus

btw: yesterday i saw a "Hackintosh" running . . . ugly, but featuring MacOS and running fast on a Supermicro board.
Not cheap also!

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:32 pm

klausesser wrote:
gkaefer wrote:

greetings
Chris

3500€ for RAM... (128GB)
hmm....

Georg

Well - 128GB ECC RAM fo PC is the same price, is it.

Actually it is not...... that may sound strange, but this is easily explained.

If you choose a motherboard to build a good workstation, certainly if you have a memory-hungry application like APG, you go for 8 or 16 memory slots.

With 16 slots you can have 128 GB by buying 16 memory banks of 8 GB each

Now go to the company Christian sended us a link of and serach for 8GB banks.....at 1800 MHZ

http://www.alternate.de/ADATA/ADATA+DIMM_16_GB_DDR3-1866_Kit,_Arbeitsspeicher/html/product/1075335/?tk=7&lk=8273

Two for the price of 135 euro. We need 16 so 8 * 135 = 1080 euro

I must admit I have a motherboard with only 8 slots, brings me 64 GB for some 500 euro.

For a fair comparision, if you have HP build you a likewise system your need to think around 12000 euro...... in a bigger box ;-)
Last edited by HansKeesom on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 pm

HansKeesom wrote:For a fair comparision, if you have HP build you a likewise system your need to think around 12000 euro...... in a bigger box ;-)

Right! You exactly made the point.

But - at least you have a bigger box then . . :cool:

best, Klaus

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:09 pm

this remembers me on my still existing SGI O2 from 1996... still running (not in use regulary) and last updated 2007... same modular System, too not cheap... :lol:
Georg

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:40 pm

gkaefer wrote:this remembers me on my still existing SGI O2 from 1996... still running (not in use regulary) and last updated 2007... same modular System, too not cheap... :lol:
Georg

"eight DIMM slots on the motherboard and memory on all O2s is expandable to 1 GB" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_O2
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:21 pm

HansKeesom wrote:
gkaefer wrote:this remembers me on my still existing SGI O2 from 1996... still running (not in use regulary) and last updated 2007... same modular System, too not cheap... :lol:
Georg

"eight DIMM slots on the motherboard and memory on all O2s is expandable to 1 GB" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_O2

for 1996 not bad. small design, a cool design, modular elements inside with pressing 3 handles you could release sliding subboards holding the Memory, HDs, PowerSupply and Mainboard - and without opening/removing the housing- and it did provide 8 Memory Slots ;-)

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Mehlsack

Info

by Mehlsack » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 am

mmh i like the thinkstations more, overprized as well, but not that much :/

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:41 am

Mehlsack wrote:mmh i like the thinkstations more, overprized as well, but not that much :/

Hi man!

I guess the point isn´t what we like better or not - i just mean alone the 12GB of VRAM would give APG a real boost . . . among other features.
And when you carefully compare prices in the range of workstations you may find that the new MacPro isn´t really more expensive than
Dell, HP or so . . . ist it?

But i mean - I mean - it looks much better . . ;):cool:

best, Klaus

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:48 am

gkaefer wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:
Georg

for 1996 not bad. small design, a cool design, modular elements inside with pressing 3 handles you could release sliding subboards holding the Memory, HDs, PowerSupply and Mainboard - and without opening/removing the housing- and it did provide 8 Memory Slots ;-)

Georg

Hi Georg!

Around ´96-´98 i worked on a O2 running Eclipse, a highend image editor for real big images. That was a GREAT machine - one of the VERY few at the time to deal with
images in the gigabyte-range. One other machine used for this kind of work was Quantel´s Paintbox - also a great one with a great application.
The Paintbox-application exclusivey ran on Paintbox-hardware. Which made them VERY expensive. But even today they´re still used sometimes for editing big images (Gursky).

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Mehlsack

Info

by Mehlsack » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Well.

I would prefer one or two quadro fx 6000 ( 6gb vRAM each)
and there are workstations boards which handle up too 256GB ram.

Sure most people (me for example) wont be able to pay for such a monster.

The "Design" is something i really dont care on a workstation, i mean really? its under the desk number chrunching the whole time :)

and i really do like that simple , understating design of a lenovo D30 or something like that

no avatar
tived

Info

by tived » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:46 am

Congrats Klaus et al Mac-users,

I hope the new Macpro is everything you could wish for, it certainly looks cool. Will it be faster? I hope so for you and those who are stuck with it. I did have my doubts if you were going to get an update, it might be your last so enjoy it.

The design looks great

The proof will be in the pudding when we get to test it out, then see how it compares with previous versions, what is still unknown to me is if it will have one or two processors, and if it has more then 4 RAM slots, the rest looks very good. The idea of having external devices isn't a bad one, though extra cost for the user.

Please run the PTGui speed test on both programs PTGui and Autopano Giga when you get it

All the best

Henrik

PS: Won't be upgrading till 2015 and only if technology will have moved significantly.

no avatar
tived

Info

by tived » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:55 am

The price difference have come down but Mac is still top shelf

I know this is a blast from the past, but when I compared my then 2005 Dual Opteron with a similar MACPRO Dual Intel, with similar component, the price difference was $12.000 vs $17.000 for the Mac (eg $5000)

In 2010, I made a new box, dual Xeon with 48gb of ram, multiple SSD's and only 1 1GB graphics card, I did do a price test then, and it may be written on some of these pages, I can't remember, but there was still a significant difference.

Now its 2013... lets do the math once we know what the real specs are - get some benchmark figures from them and see if they provide the same performance per $

Looks! Yes, the Mac wins hands down... but looks isn't going to get your pano's done in a timely manner! :-)

All the best and enjoy the new Macpro when you get around to it! I do hope it will be great!

Henrik

klausesser wrote:
Mehlsack wrote:mmh i like the thinkstations more, overprized as well, but not that much :/

Hi man!

I guess the point isn´t what we like better or not - i just mean alone the 12GB of VRAM would give APG a real boost . . . among other features.
And when you carefully compare prices in the range of workstations you may find that the new MacPro isn´t really more expensive than
Dell, HP or so . . . ist it?

But i mean - I mean - it looks much better . . ;):cool:

best, Klaus

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:45 am

tived wrote:The price difference have come down but Mac is still top shelf

I know this is a blast from the past, but when I compared my then 2005 Dual Opteron with a similar MACPRO Dual Intel, with similar component, the price difference was $12.000 vs $17.000 for the Mac (eg $5000)

In 2010, I made a new box, dual Xeon with 48gb of ram, multiple SSD's and only 1 1GB graphics card, I did do a price test then, and it may be written on some of these pages, I can't remember, but there was still a significant difference.

Henrik

And with a copy of VM Workstation and an image of a Mac you can run a nice iMac on your Xeon box. Tested it, could obly give it 8 out 12 cores but full 64 GB and it run a nice 14003 point in Geekbench compared to 17953 for the original windows 7 machine with 12 cores. Not bad for 1600 euro of hardware. Does not look as cool as the new Mac, but gets the job done!
Last edited by HansKeesom on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:05 pm

tived wrote:All the best and enjoy the new Macpro when you get around to it! I do hope it will be great!

Did i write to definitely buy one? No. I´ll test it when it comes and then i´ll make a decision.
I don´t make decisions on what i read on the sreen or in papers . . .

:P:cool:

best to you, Klaus

no avatar
Artisan S.

Info

by Artisan S. » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Yeps Klaus,

The Paintbox is still one of the better tools for editing large images and indeed Andreas Gursky (and his assistent) still use it (AFAIK).

Greets, Ed.
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to... suffering (c) Yoda.....

Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Arduino Uno.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Oh wow... keep scrolling down.. http://www.apple.com/au/mac-pro/

Destiny....

Previous