Puzzling entry in wiki: HDR workflow D  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
Aeriscera

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Puzzling entry in wiki: HDR workflow D

by Aeriscera » Fri May 25, 2012 2:25 pm

The page on Workflow D has two examples. The first uses .jpgs and the second .nefs. For the first example the page says:

In this first example, we use a set of images in .jpg format on which we apply a color correction, then an export in HDR.
In practice, this doesn't present a great interest, but it helps to highlight the use of RAW images in input (see Example 2).

In what sense does the .jpg example "highlight" the use of RAW images? It seems to me that the processes are identical.

A
Last edited by Aeriscera on Fri May 25, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Sun May 27, 2012 1:24 am

I took it to mean "compare the HDR made using JPG to the one made using RAW"

highlight may not be the right word, "show the value of" may be a beter replacement for the word "highlight"

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun May 27, 2012 1:30 am

hankkarl wrote:I took it to mean "compare the HDR made using JPG to the one made using RAW"

highlight may not be the right word, "show the value of" may be a beter replacement for the word "highlight"

Hi pals :cool:!

Producing HDR works well using bracketed JPGs. 3 or more JPG with -2/0/+2 or so cover a defiitey ider range than one RAW. I had good experiences using JPGs for bracketing.
Nevertheless using RAWs i better - because you can edit it in a RAW processor and "tune" them to optimal JPGs or better TIFFs - here i suggest 16bit-TIFFs for feeding the HDR processor.

But it works also well using bracketed JPGs for making HDR.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

Aeriscera

Topic author
Info

by Aeriscera » Sun May 27, 2012 5:31 pm

hankkarl wrote:I took it to mean "compare the HDR made using JPG to the one made using RAW"

Ah, thanks Hankkarl. I see what you mean now. In fact, assuming the RAW one is intended to look better than the JPG one "show that it is better to use RAW than JPG" would be even clearer. On the other hand, I looked at the two results (at full size) side by side and whilst it's clear they are not the same it isn't clear to me that one is better than the other.

Perhaps a more definitive example could be used (in an ideal world where someone has the time to do so!), perhaps including a 1:1 crop on a detail.

Just my 2c,

Aeris

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun May 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Aeriscera wrote:Perhaps a more definitive example could be used (in an ideal world where someone has the time to do so!), perhaps including a 1:1 crop on a detail.

An example: shot as bracketed jpg 3 steps (-2/0/+2) then processed to HDR in Photomatix, saved as TIFFs and stitched in APG:
http://360impressions.de/KBogen/ (700MPx and 3GPx - 35mm and 85mm lenses)

A 2nd example: shot as RAW 3 steps (-2/0/+2) then processed to HDR in Photomatix, saved as TIFFs and stitched in PG:
http://360impressions.de/Tourk21.html (50MPx)

A3rd example: shot as RAW, no HDR - processed in CaptureOne and stitched in APG:
http://www.360impressions.de/Kaufhof (700MPx - 35mm lens)
http://www.360impressions.de/Oper (3GPx - 85mm lens)

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sun May 27, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Beginnersquestion problably

Even when loading in bracketed RAW files, I never seem to get the HDR option in the list as shown in the D-instruction. What conditions must be fullfilled before one gets that option?

kind regards,
Hans Keesom
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

Aeriscera

Topic author
Info

by Aeriscera » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Is the feature you are looking for part of AP Giga and not AP Pro and you have APP?

I can't think what else might be the problem - the screenshot shows that the .hdr option is available to me even if I load 8-bit tifs.

A

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:07 am

The option I try to activate is shown at
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Image:Autopano250_HDR-casE-HDRColorFix1_en.jpg

It is always disabled for me. I have autopano giga, alhtough autopano pro is also installed
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.