Times square by night - Looking for an efficient workflow  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Times square by night - Looking for an efficient workflow

by hermer-blr » Sat May 05, 2012 9:21 am

During my vacations, I shot a spherical panorama (3 brackets) of Times Square, NY, at night. I used a Samyang fisheye (8 shots x 3 brackets) and a Tripod+pano head.

Analysing the images, the overexposed one is clearly the best for the background, buildings and walking people.

There are many digital advertisements on screens, in general, the best on the underexposed images (there are exceptions). It must be noted that the advertisements are evolving and cannot be processed in HDR as they are different from one picture to the next

I am really perplex about the way to handle this panorama and process it :
1. Standard HDR will not work : moving people, changing advertisements...
2. Creating masks (the alpha channel method) prior to feeding APG with the pictures ?
3. Pre-processing the pictures, using the overexposed one as a baseline and including the portions (advertisements....) from the other pictures prior to APG ?
4.Combining 1 and 3: ie standard HDR to get a new baseline and processing of this baseline as in 3. to get the advertisements ?

Any idea about an efficient workflow for such a specific case ?

Thanks
Last edited by hermer-blr on Sat May 05, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Wed May 09, 2012 7:59 pm

It seems that nobody felt inspired to give me some help. So, I did it my own way, ie according to 3. It took me a lot of time, but, according to the previews I got, the result (after having removed all the ghosts) should be fine !
Windows 32 bits - APG

no avatar
jeradg

Info

by jeradg » Wed May 09, 2012 8:13 pm

hermer-blr wrote:It seems that nobody felt inspired to give me some help. So, I did it my own way, ie according to 3. It took me a lot of time, but, according to the previews I got, the result (after having removed all the ghosts) should be fine !

You should post your pano here so we can see the results =]

Also, if you could provide a little more detail about the method you used, I would appreciate it because I have also wondered about how to work with digital screens (and their changing images).

Thanks,
Jerad

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Thu May 10, 2012 10:06 am

Regarding the method, it is based on the following principle: Pre-processing the pictures, using the overexposed one as a baseline and including the portions (advertisements....) from the other pictures prior to APG ?

In order to detail it somewhat:

- I used a tripod and panoramic head
- I shot 3 bracketed images for each head position
- I shot at 8 different head positions : 6 images with - 15° (one each 60°) and 2 images with + 45° (at 180° from each other).

For each of the 8 head positions, I considered the overexposed images as the reference :

- As I shoot raw, I modified the white balance, exposure, etc... one the overexposed images and saved these settings (with Nikon capture NX2)
- I batch processed my 8 x 3 images with those save settings
- For each of the 8 head positions, I modified the overexposed images by picking up the advertisements from the underexposed image (relatively easy to do as the images were aligned): Gimp, multilayer, etc...
- Thus, I got 8 correct images !

I ran APG to create the panorama from the 8 correct images... Now, I am there, still wanting to improve some details : ghost removal, selection of best advertisement screen when a given screen is present on several images.

To do this last improvement step, I started by using the alpha chanel on the 8 images and creating "holes" to make the unwanted features desappear. But, I noticed that - while using the same .pano file - the panorama had been modified (the blending algorithm ?) with some misalignments. So, I have decided to do it differently:
- no holes
- asking APG to generate the panorama AND the images
- using gimp/multilayer, etc... to improve the details

This is what I am presently doing !
Windows 32 bits - APG