Calling all monopod and Nodal Ninja R1/R10 users! Advise required  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
UK Pano

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Calling all monopod and Nodal Ninja R1/R10 users! Advise required

by UK Pano » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:22 am

Hi all,

I normally use a NN5 with a Velbon CF tripod but I have recently ordered a NN R10 to try out.

With quite a few personal vacation trips planned over this year, the idea was to use the R10 with a monopod. My reasoning being that the monopod will be easier to transport and deploy (being lighter and easier to carry), rather than using the tripod and having to ship it in the wifes suitcase again ;)

But …. I have no experience of using a pano head with a monopod and would like to ask other users who use this set up for any pointers or advise so I can start getting used to the set-up ahead of my first trip in May.

Any recommendations on monopods and techniques very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Liked in: 4 posts
Info

by vincen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi Paul,

I think you'll enjoy the R10 as it's simplest process to shoot than using NN5 as it's optimised for fisheye lens :) What lens and body are you going to use with your pole/monopod ? If you use full-frame body and fisheye process is pretty straight forward: just 3/4 shoots around and it's done :D

Vincèn
Blog: http://www.skivr.com
Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16 on Benro Tripod + Ultimate R1 on Nodal Ninja P2 + Nikon D800 + Nikkor 10.5 + Nikkor 14/24 f/2.8 +Pentax 645D

UK Pano

Topic author
Info

by UK Pano » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Hey Vincèn,

Using Canon 400D with Sigma 8mm FE and looking very forward to using the R10 when it comes through :)

I see that NN have a nadir adapter coming out soon for the R10 - is it easy already to take the nadir without this new adapter do you find?
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:39 pm

The R10 may be overkill--you don't need the ability to go in a circle, the monopod will turn easily. I've been considering building a "Y" shaped part to put onto my monopod to rest the camera on, but haven't built it yet, its easy enough to hold the camera there by hand. (hold the middle of the lens over the monopod)

If you "handhold on a monopod", use a level, either one that glues on the side of the monopod or a hotshoe 2-axis level. And it helps to draw reference lines on the ground if at all possible.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 am

Hey there.. sorry, I am lost but intrigued as to what you are doing... I looked at the R10 and it looks very well built but is it ok for creating a VR.. I cannot see how you can set the Nadir using this head....

I tried using the Acratech GP Ballhead to create VR movies but its not the right head... So I am using the Ninja 3 mkII with R-D8 Rotator... It does the job but I am not happy with the engineering of this head... THe GP is outstanding engineering and I love using it for normal photography... I am using my new Manfrotto 55CXPRO4 4-Section Carbon Fibre Tripod to mount the pano head on, I have never used a monopod, I would be worried I let it go and see my camera fall on the ground.... I love my tripod so much.. The quality is wonderful and it folds down really small and its light... It is also very versatile..The legs and move in so many directions... If I wanted to I could use it like a monopod too.. since I would just have to release one leg...

I am very new to the VR world but I am doing ok so far.. To be honest I would have liked to have bought the MK Pano Head.. http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/panoramas/vr_review/mkpanohead/mkpanohead_review.html
The quality looks very good and the price is ok too.. but I do not know where to buy one from... I put a square on my Ninga and its not square.. I have also noticed the increments are different from one side to the other by at least 5 degrees but this does not seem to effect the performance... No problem in setting the Nadir... although mine is still not perfect.... I need to fine tune that...

I can buy sliding plats for my Acratech GP Ballhead which might allow me to centre and move the camera to set the Nadir... I have to look more into this... only since I love the GP so much... Its the most beautiful thing.. I take 6 with the head in the frame and then about 30 degrees up... THe GP has no increments for this so I would have to guess it but I attach it to my R-D8 Rotator which is a nice rotor, so I can take the 6 round....

emm.. sorry if I got off track but I would love to hear your thoughts on what I am doing...

Destiny

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:03 am

Destiny wrote:I am very new to the VR world but I am doing ok so far.. To be honest I would have liked to have bought the MK Pano Head.. http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/panoramas/vr_review/mkpanohead/mkpanohead_review.html
The quality looks very good and the price is ok too.. but I do not know where to buy one from... I put a square on my Ninga and its not square.. I have also noticed the increments are different from one side to the other by at least 5 degrees but this does not seem to effect the performance... No problem in setting the Nadir... although mine is still not perfect.... I need to fine tune that...

Hum, did you consider the new Modular M serie from Nodal Ninja as it's batchable and very high quality: http://store.nodalninja.com/categories/Ultimate-M-Series/ It'll be avalaible in limited quantity at end of february.

Vincèn
Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16 on Benro Tripod + Ultimate R1 on Nodal Ninja P2 + Nikon D800 + Nikkor 10.5 + Nikkor 14/24 f/2.8 +Pentax 645D

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:09 am

Destiny wrote:To be honest I would have liked to have bought the MK Pano Head.. http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/panoramas/vr_review/mkpanohead/mkpanohead_review.html
The quality looks very good and the price is ok too.. but I do not know where to buy one from...
Destiny

http://www.marc-kairies.de/english/index.html
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 am

Hello Vincèn, this certainly looks to be of much better quality than the Ninja 3 mkII but I guess at about twice the price I it should be... One thing I love is quality equipment and good engineering, I love the feel of a nice things when taking my photos... I guess when I can afford to invest in the new Modular M series it might not be available... since its only available in a limited quantity... I am not totally disappointed with my Ninga 3 but I think there could be improvements made to it.. The screw that holds it in pace with the two white pins really needs looking at... The slack in this makes it feel cheap... although the general overall finish is really nice... Its smooth with no sharp edges and easy to put back together with the stops.. I would also change the stops to metal and thinker... I would have also liked to have seen a better plate that screws to the camera and holds to the bar... a lip to ensure it is set parallel and to stop it turning.... but I guess that would mean different plates for different cameras... I guess for me it call comes down to quality and good engineering.... I would love to give the new Modular M series a play with.... Can I borrow one! ;)
It does look really well made and strongly built....

D

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:49 am

Destiny wrote:Hello Vincèn, this certainly looks to be of much better quality than the Ninja 3 mkII but I guess at about twice the price I it should be... One thing I love is quality equipment and good engineering, I love the feel of a nice things when taking my photos... I guess when I can afford to invest in the new Modular M series it might not be available... since its only available in a limited quantity... I am not totally disappointed with my Ninga 3 but I think there could be improvements made to it.. The screw that holds it in pace with the two white pins really needs looking at... The slack in this makes it feel cheap... although the general overall finish is really nice... Its smooth with no sharp edges and easy to put back together with the stops.. I would also change the stops to metal and thinker... I would have also liked to have seen a better plate that screws to the camera and holds to the bar... a lip to ensure it is set parallel and to stop it turning.... but I guess that would mean different plates for different cameras... I guess for me it call comes down to quality and good engineering.... I would love to give the new Modular M series a play with....

Hum looks like you have first generation of NN3, some improvements have done since in current version sold :)

Destiny wrote:Can I borrow one! ;)
It does look really well made and strongly built....

If you are in france, it can be organised :) You would also be able to see it at next IVRPA conference/meeting in Palmela in June :)

Vincèn

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 pm

Destiny wrote:I would have also liked to have seen a better plate that screws to the camera and holds to the bar... a lip to ensure it is set parallel and to stop it turning.... but I guess that would mean different plates for different cameras...
D

You are describing the Camera Plate V2 - CP2 - which has shipped as standard with the NN3/5 heads for a while - how long have you had your NN3?

http://store.nodalninja.com/products/Camera-Mounting-Plate-CP2.html
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:46 pm

Oh wow, I am missing a piece... emm.. I wondered about a plate for so long.. Thank you sooo much.. I will buy it.... I bought my NN3 in March last year so not quite a year ago in Australia through http://ipanoramic.com.au/nn3.html
The one they have displayed on their website is the one I have... I had to buy it through them since they are the Aus agents.. There is no camera plate on this site so I did not know about it... :( Not happy! So, I have an oder model.. Now I am sad... I will have to ask this company to order a plate for me... I always thought it was odd that it just sat on the camera with no real indicator whether it was parallel or not... If I am capturing fisheye images its not an issue I think but if I took a wide angle using a normal lens then it is!...

Oh Vincèn, sorry I cannot come to France... Can you sneak on out and send it to me!! :) :) :)

D

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 pm

ouch :( pictures and description are completely outdated on that website :( NN3 is shipped with new CP-2 since nearly one year already !

Destiny wrote:Oh Vincèn, sorry I cannot come to France... Can you sneak on out and send it to me!! :) :) :)

Hum a little complicated to australia :P but next year when I'll be also NN distributor in australia we can arrange something lol :cool::lol::D

Vincèn

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Well boys I have just checked out the Ningi web site and found that I have the NN3 MKII RD16 but I do not have the plate like the one displayed on that web site.. I have a much cheaper looking plate.. So not happy :(
I have sent an email to the company I have to buy through to see if they have one...
The things I find out on these forums.... Thank you so much!!

D

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Destiny wrote:Well boys I have just checked out the Ningi web site and found that I have the NN3 MKII RD16 but I do not have the plate like the one displayed on that web site.. I have a much cheaper looking plate.. So not happy :(
I have sent an email to the company I have to buy through to see if they have one...

If you bought it around one year or older, it's normal you got that plate, it was CP-1 (http://magasin.skivr.com/cp1-plaque-montage.html). Since nearly one year all NN3 and NN5 are shipped with CP-2 (http://magasin.skivr.com/plaque-attache-rapide-cp-2.html). Your aussie distributor should be able to sell you a CP-2 itself so you can install it on your NN3. It won't change anything with your settings as it's same thickness between CP-1 and CP-2 :)

Vincèn

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Well thats not good.... Now I am really unhappy. I wanted to buy from the main Nodal Ninja web site but I was directed to the Australian one.. Now I find they are selling outdated stock... Emm... I think I look at different pano head altogether... Sell the NN3. I bet the fixing screw issue was upgrading too.... The hole needs to be conical like the screw rather than reliying on the outer edge of the hole in the bar to hold it.. As for the little white studs, they do nothing... Unless I am supposed to have a different plat from Rotor to Arm... I think Nodal Ninja needs to ensure their distributors are all selling and showcasing current stock and information.... The MK Pano Head is looking very very nice NOW!

D

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Thank you Vincèn for that information... It took me a long time to set it all up... So all I have to do is use the more current plate and it should all be fine.... That case the distributor sold me what was current at the time.. Let me know when you are a distributor in Aus... I would still love to give the supper pano head a play with.... I might even buy it!! for a discounted price!! :)

D

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:56 am

emm... My husband sent an email to the distributor in Aus this morning but as yet he has not replied.... My husband said he is normally really helpful so perhaps he is closed.. I can't wait to give the right plate a trial... If he has it in stock it shouldn't take long to get but he might have to order it from the US since there is no mention of it on his web site... I have asked my husband to ask him if he has the Ultimate M Series we can try out... It looks so much better and stronger than the NN3.... It must be really new since we cannot find much information on it... Does anyone know where I an read more about this pano head....

D

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:15 am

Destiny wrote:I have asked my husband to ask him if he has the Ultimate M Series we can try out... It looks so much better and stronger than the NN3.... It must be really new since we cannot find much information on it... Does anyone know where I an read more about this pano head....

Hum don't go too fast :) For Ultimate M Series you'll have to wait till end of month when it's supposed to be avalaible on market, till there you won't find much informations excepted on Nodal Ninja website. I'll try to post a review of the Modular M Large model during the week-end, with video so you can better understand what it is ;)

Cheers,

Vincèn

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:56 am

oh, you are sooo good.... If you are going to make a video, then you must have some pictures of it.... can you show them to me.. It looks so well built.... but very very expensive..... :( !!!

D

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:16 am

Destiny wrote:oh, you are sooo good.... If you are going to make a video, then you must have some pictures of it.... can you show them to me.. It looks so well built.... but very very expensive..... :( !!!

I'll post pictures and video in the week-end so stay tuned on my blog (http://www.skivr.com) or Facebook page ;)

For price it's not same range of product quality than existing NN3 and NN5, we are one step higher so more expensive ! and don't forget ! It's not because that new range of panoramic head exists that your existing NN3 is no more good ;)

Vincèn

no avatar
nodalninja

Info

by nodalninja » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:02 am

Destiny wrote:emm... My husband sent an email to the distributor in Aus this morning but as yet he has not replied.... My husband said he is normally really helpful so perhaps he is closed.. I can't wait to give the right plate a trial... If he has it in stock it shouldn't take long to get but he might have to order it from the US since there is no mention of it on his web site... I have asked my husband to ask him if he has the Ultimate M Series we can try out... It looks so much better and stronger than the NN3.... It must be really new since we cannot find much information on it... Does anyone know where I an read more about this pano head....
D

Hi Destiny,
My name is Bill Bailey - CEO of Bill Bailey LLC dba Nodal Ninja. We are the exclusive distributors for the Fanotec product line. And I take full responsibility for the actions, or lack there of, of all our resellers. Gee I should have signed up ages ago (sorry Vincen). I'll try to peek in more often.

Firstly you are in fact now able to buy from our website in the US. This helps to not only keep prices in check but also allows you to purchase accessories a reseller might not otherwise have. I have read a few posts here and understand you have been having some ongoing concerns. It's easy to understand how frustrated a person can get if issues are resolved so I would like to address your concerns personally. If you would be so kind and drop me an email - bill{at}nodaninja{dot}com and outline as best you can the history of your concerns I'm sure we can reach a happy resolve for you.

Our resellers, most resellers actually, work on a part time basis and have other jobs. Anthony in NSW is in the military and does do his best in addressing concerns. There may be times he's waddling through Billabongs in the outback but to the best of my knowledge he does his best to address all concerns. If you fell off his radar it certainly isn't the norm and as backup you can always contact Nodal Ninja support directly from our contact page or even our forum. And while I gets heaps of emails each day you are also welcomed to contact me directly anytime.

As far as outdated stock this is rare too. Our stock really doesn't get outdated. We may improve upon it with add-on's (ie CP1 to CP2) and/or accessories. When we do have major shift in stock like from NN3 to NN3 MKII prices on the old stock is greatly reduced (at "our" expense) to help resellers sell out. We're working with reseller to update product shots. Resellers buy our product then sell it so new stock usually doesn't arrive in their store until they are able to buy it from us. With the new M1's I doubt you will see many resellers carrying these "initially" due to higher price tag. BUT you can still buy from our primary website. A hand full of resellers in Europe have already lined up to carry this new item as well.

On the M1 I am not confident this upper end product is best suited for your needs but I could be worng. There may be other cost effective products in our lineup that will do everything you need a pano head to do - we can discuss this in email.

Please contact me as soon as you can - I am eager to assist you and you have my personal guarantee of your "complete" satisfaction.

Cheers
Bill

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:09 am

Hello Bill Bailey - CEO of Bill Bailey LLC dba Nodal Ninja.. Nice of you to be concerned and thank you for this information... My husband John has been the one in contact iPanoramic since he was in the RAAF too so they have something in common.. Anthony as far as my husband as said, is a really nice guy.. he has tried his best to fix the issue but we haven't heard from him in a while so yes.. he might be swimming or trekking mud in some Billabong somewhere on exercise... My husband John said he will send you an email since he is the one that has been chatting to Anthony and he bought the pano head for my birthday last year.. So he is a bit sad it has caused a few problems for me....

D..

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:09 am

Sorry Bill.. your email address above did not work....

My husband just tried to send you an email... but he just said it came back...

D...

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:11 am

Destiny wrote:Sorry Bill.. your email address above did not work....
My husband just tried to send you an email... but he just said it came back...

But it's the right one :) Best way is to contact Nodal Ninja at cs at nodalninja dot com

Vincèn

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:45 am

Hello Vincèn

My husband used this but it came back twice... not sure why...

bill at nodaninja dot com

Next