Looking for pictures of Nodal Ninja in action  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
Phil Howard

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Looking for pictures of Nodal Ninja in action

by Phil Howard » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:25 pm

I'd like to see some pictures of the Nodal Ninja in action. I'm not asking for results of using it (there are plenty of great panos around to see). Instead, I'd like to see pictures (from a 2nd camera) of the Nodal Ninja actually mounted on a tripod, with an actual camera mounted on it, showing its full range of motion (as a sequence of stills ... no videos, please). In particular I'd like to see both portrait and landscape orientation, including spherical orientations. While looking at basic (nothing mounted) pictures of the NN5 (with RD16), I'm unable to visualize that device's mechanism in all the needed orientations while keeping both the rotation and tilt axis going through the entrance pupil nodal point that is offset from the camera (toward the front, even if assuming I don't need a sideways offset from the camera mounting hole).

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20 pm

Phil Howard wrote:I'd like to see some pictures of the Nodal Ninja in action. I'm not asking for results of using it (there are plenty of great panos around to see). Instead, I'd like to see pictures (from a 2nd camera) of the Nodal Ninja actually mounted on a tripod, with an actual camera mounted on it, showing its full range of motion (as a sequence of stills ... no videos, please). In particular I'd like to see both portrait and landscape orientation, including spherical orientations. While looking at basic (nothing mounted) pictures of the NN5 (with RD16), I'm unable to visualize that device's mechanism in all the needed orientations while keeping both the rotation and tilt axis going through the entrance pupil nodal point that is offset from the camera (toward the front, even if assuming I don't need a sideways offset from the camera mounting hole).

Hi Phil!

Hope you get the pictures you want. But: all manual spherical heads are working on the same basics - vertical movement 90° up and 90° down and horizontally 360°. The camera mount on the device allows the camera/lens combination to spin vertically and horizontally around ONE point: the NPP (NoParallaxPoint - vulgo: Nodal Point)
I can assure you the NN is full functional.

Differences exist in terms of stability and comfort - here some products are more rigid and more comfortable than others. But basically (!) they all work the same way.

So: to understand the concept resp. the basics of the NN you don´t need pictures of a NN in action - every other manual head will show the basics also.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

UK Pano

Info

by UK Pano » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:27 pm

Could try Nodal Ninja's own website or on the Flickr group for examples of a NN being used in anger
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Phil Howard wrote:I'd like to see some pictures of the Nodal Ninja in action. I'm not asking for results of using it (there are plenty of great panos around to see). Instead, I'd like to see pictures (from a 2nd camera) of the Nodal Ninja actually mounted on a tripod, with an actual camera mounted on it, showing its full range of motion (as a sequence of stills ... no videos, please). In particular I'd like to see both portrait and landscape orientation, including spherical orientations. While looking at basic (nothing mounted) pictures of the NN5 (with RD16), I'm unable to visualize that device's mechanism in all the needed orientations while keeping both the rotation and tilt axis going through the entrance pupil nodal point that is offset from the camera (toward the front, even if assuming I don't need a sideways offset from the camera mounting hole).

They used to have a very nice image gallery on their web site but now this is the best they have:

http://www.nodalninja.com/products/panoheads/nodalninja5.html

Note if the camera is mounted in landscape orientation you only have rotation around the yaw axis.

Are these images sufficient for you?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:00 pm

http://www.nodalninja.com/ shows an animated GIFF which is not a video...

There are many still images available for a large number of Nodal Ninja products and a large number of cameras ...but finding them is not always easy!

Landscape orientation is not possible for multi-row panos when using NN3 and NN5 (though a L-bracket or L-plate could be used for that) but R1 (fisheye only), R10 and NN 180 (fisheyes and very wide FOV lenses) allow that.

Designing and manufacturing pano-heads for many cameras, many lenses and different purposes lend to a rather complicated product list, IMHO this is difficult to avoid...
Georges

no avatar
Phil Howard

Topic author
Info

by Phil Howard » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:11 pm

GURL ... I think you cleared up my dilemma. I was trying to visualize all possible arm movements and concluded one more arm was needed (or else I misunderstood the device from the few still pics) ... and that was to be able to tilt in landscape mode. So any L-bracket with the movement range to keep the nodal point on axis should be fine? Or does everyone do the multi-row and sphericals in portrait mode?

I'm not seeing any animated GIF on the nodalninja.com site. I do see a blocked out Flash box. I'm running Firefox on a security hardened system, and Flash won't even be able to install if I wanted it (Firefox can't get write access to where plugins are located). Maybe the animation was in Flash. FYI, I do panning animations in Javascript.

no avatar
Phil Howard

Topic author
Info

by Phil Howard » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:13 pm

But ... I'd still like to see real setups used by real members of the Autopano Pro Forum :)

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:22 pm

Phil Howard wrote:Or does everyone do the multi-row and sphericals in portrait mode?

Most two-axis pano heads are designed for portait orinetation of camera.

Why would you wish to shoot multi-row or spherical with the camera in landscape orientation?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Phil Howard

Topic author
Info

by Phil Howard » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:32 pm

mediavets wrote:
Phil Howard wrote:Or does everyone do the multi-row and sphericals in portrait mode?

Most two-axis pano heads are designed for portait orinetation of camera.

Why would you wish to shoot multi-row or spherical with the camera in landscape orientation?

Why not? :)

Actually, portrait mode can be awkward at times. And I might be doing mixed shooting and want to do single-row or non-pano shots in compositions that call for landscape. I was hoping not only for the capability of either portrait or landscape, but also the ability to just unlock and flip an arm and go between portrait and landscape right on the forward axis. There are devices that can do that (well, one I've seen, at least) by itself.

And reading the numbers from the camera display can be harder in portrait mode. At least my 450D/XSi doesn't rotate the display menu when I rotate to portrait mode by hand.

no avatar
Phil Howard

Topic author
Info

by Phil Howard » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Any chance the following device would fit onto the NN5 and allow rotation of the camera from most angles the NN5 would orient it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/488148-REG/Custom_Brackets_DIGITALPROSVKIT_Digital_PRO_SV_Bracket_Kit.html

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Nice, but expensive! In fact, you don't really need to be able to stop the camera at all intermediate positions, do you? It could be better to make something with only extrem positions...
Frédéric

no avatar
Phil Howard

Topic author
Info

by Phil Howard » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:42 am

Right. I'd only need 0 and 90 degrees. But I don't want to have to detach anything to do that.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:25 am

I guess at least 75% of the users do.

best, Klaus

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:00 pm

Phil Howard wrote:Right. I'd only need 0 and 90 degrees. But I don't want to have to detach anything to do that.

You should not hesitate to contact Bill Bailey or Nick Fan http://www.nodalninja.com/contact.html. You should explain that you believe you have a particular problem: they are very open-minded, really.

I remember answering Nick Fan questions about landscape / portrait orientation and saying portrait being better for spherical pano (or any wide vertical FOV) and landscape being nearly useless.

I changed my mind since then, mostly because I switched camera: the previous one was well designed for tripod use, even in portrait. The present one was clearly designed to be used at the eye level and in landscape orientation: when in portrait orientation and on a tripod, having to press one of the (many) buttons while rotating one of the two wheels and watching the right display (top LCD or back screen or viewfinder) is often very unpleasing or causes unwanted camera/tripod moves...

As far as I understand it, the Ultimate R1/R10 series is not designed for on the field switch between portrait and landscape though I suppose I would like that a lot...
Last edited by GURL on Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georges

no avatar
Phil Howard

Topic author
Info

by Phil Howard » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:33 pm

I already tried that contact page weeks ago. It always rejects my messages for some reason.

BTW, if cameras were made with square sensors (50% more pixels), it would be possible to electronically switch between portrait or landscape. Then we'd only need to rotate the rectangular lens shades.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:47 pm

Phil Howard wrote:I already tried that contact page weeks ago. It always rejects my messages for some reason.

http://www.nodalninja.com/products/panoheads/nodalninja5.html

best, KE

spiritburner

Info

by spiritburner » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 pm

try this site for some animated gifs on the nn3 and 5, very helpful company, i got mine from here and it does what is says in the photos.

http://www.red-door.co.uk/pages/productpages/nodal-ninja-panorama-head-nn3.html

spiritburner

Info

by spiritburner » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:46 pm

also try here http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/panoramas/vr_review/nn3/nn3_review.html

this guy has a great site and these is a .mov on here with the nn3 set up

spiritburner

Info

by spiritburner » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:49 pm

and finally here is another excellent site with animated gifs of the nn3/5 in action with an older rotator, they take a little while to load as the gifs are fairly large but they are very good and demonstrate the axis and rotation.

http://www.pixalo.com/community/cameras-lenses-accessories/nodal-ninja-spherical-tripod-head-review-15677.html