new hardware controller for bracketing  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
klausesser

Topic author
Liked in: 64 posts
Info

new hardware controller for bracketing

by klausesser » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:11 pm

klausesser wrote:somebody knows already?

https://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html

best, Klaus

did read about it:

http://www.autopano.net/forum/t6675-advanced-remote-control-for-canon-and-nikon-dslrs

#3 of:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t7063-canon-7d-now-official

... but no personal usage until now ;-) ....
the demo video on youtube shows promising more speed using the remoteshuttercable they offer while doing the advanced bracketing...

Liebe GrüàŸe,
Gerog
Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Topic author
Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:21 am

gkaefer wrote:
klausesser wrote:somebody knows already?

https://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html

best, Klaus

did read about it:

http://www.autopano.net/forum/t6675-advanced-remote-control-for-canon-and-nikon-dslrs

#3 of:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t7063-canon-7d-now-official

... but no personal usage until now ;-) ....
the demo video on youtube shows promising more speed using the remoteshuttercable they offer while doing the advanced bracketing...

Liebe GrüàŸe,
Gerog

Ah - danke, Georg! :)

I´m a bit short of time these days - so i can´t be here as much as i would like to be.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

Castillonis

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Castillonis » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:34 am

This is great. The second youtube video was the best. The manual indicated that the device is capable of actuating the short exposures down to 1/4000 second using the USB interface and that it uses the remote shutter port to do the BULB bracketing for exposures above 30 seconds ( page 33 ) ( unfortunately the Canon 5D Mark II will require a firmware upgrade to do BULB exposures greater than 30 seconds according to the PDF manual ) For Canon users this is a big deal. For Nikon users you will be able to use a 2.0 EV separation in addition to the in camera EV separation values of {0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, and 1.0 EV } For panoramas with a higher number of positions when the light is changing you might want a separation of 2.0 EV. Nikon offers a maximum EV separation of 1.0 EV. Normally I would want a 1.0 EV separation, but when the light is changing quickly, I want to reduce the number of photographs taken.

The PanoCam I own is only capable of using BULB mode. So, I would need to photograph faster exposures by manually setting the exposure, or place a neutral density filter over the lens. An example of when I need the faster exposures is when I am trying to capture the moon in a panorama at night.

Google Language tools

La vidéo youtube seconde était la meilleure. Le manuel a indiqué que l'appareil est capable d'actionner les expositions à  court jusqu'à  1 / 4000 de seconde en utilisant l'interface USB et qu'elle utilise le port de l'obturateur à  distance pour faire le BULBES bracketing pour les expositions supérieures à  30 secondes (page 33) (malheureusement, le Canon 5D Mark II exigera une mise à  jour du firmware à  faire expositions BULBES supérieure à  30 secondes selon le manuel PDF) Pour les utilisateurs de ce Canon est une grosse affaire. Pour les utilisateurs de Nikon, vous serez capable d'utiliser une séparation de 2,0 EV en plus de la caméra dans des valeurs de séparation de (EV 0,3 EV, 0,7 EV, et de 1,0 EV) pour les panoramas avec un nombre plus élevé de positions quand la lumière change, vous voudrez peut-être une séparation de 2,0 EV. Nikon offre une distance maximale de 1,0 EV EV. Normalement, je voudrais que la séparation de 1,0 EV, mais quand la lumière change rapidement, je veux réduire le nombre de photos prises.

Le PanoCam je possède est seulement capable d'utiliser BULB mode. Donc, j'aurais besoin de photographier plus rapide expositions en définissant manuellement l'exposition, ou de placer un filtre de densité neutre au cours de la lentille. Un exemple de savoir quand j'ai besoin de l'exposition est plus rapide quand je suis en train de capturer la lune dans un panorama de la nuit.
Last edited by Castillonis on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:25 am

Too bad: the Canon 20D does not seem to be supported :(
Frédéric

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Sad also for the Canon 350D, "Canon 350D cannot be supported because it uses an older
protocol that is currently not supported by Canon."

Gordon
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:40 pm

For those models you can use the PanoCam to actuate the shutter in BULB mode until some region between 1/2 second and 1/20 of a second. The EXIF information for exposures equal to or less than 1 second will contain 1 second even though you can see that the exposure is less.

You could request that Promote Controller update the firmware to set a Canon 20D camera mode where they use the BULB mode along with the shutter remote cable to control the exposures that are less than 30 seconds. They plan on releasing an update for the Canon 5D mark II because of a problem with BULB mode for exposures longer than 30 seconds. The firmware is programmable via the USB port.

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:16 pm

I just purchased a Promote with Nikon and Canon cables. The Promote has a mini plug accessory input, so you would be able to trigger the device with the Merlin / Orion or a wireless remote. There is a good thread over at Christian Bloch's HDR forum in the general area.

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:14 am

I just received my new Promote systems exposure bracketing controller. I successfully triggered the Promote with the imager by plugging in to the third port ( accessory port ) using a mini plug.

Now I can use this to do exposure bracketing during the day with shutter speeds of up to 1/4000s. I can also use it to capture the moon when I am taking night shots that require long exposures such as 2 minutes and fast exposures such as 1/250s. I will need to prepare to replace my shutter at the rate I am taking photographs.

Google language tools
Je viens de recevoir mon nouveau Promouvoir les systèmes de bracketing de l'exposition
contrôleur. J'ai réussi a déclenché la promotion avec le
imageur en branchant à  la troisième port (port d'accessoires) à  l'aide
une prise mini.

Maintenant je peux utiliser cela pour faire le bracketing d'exposition au cours de la journée avec
Vitesses d'obturation maximale de 1/4000s. Je peux également l'utiliser pour capturer
la lune quand je prends des photos de nuit qui ont besoin de temps
expositions telles que 2 minutes et expositions rapides comme 1/250s.
J'aurai besoin de se préparer à  remplacer mon obturateur au taux je suis
prendre des photos.