Any idea how can i stitch these images?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
OfF3nSiV3

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Any idea how can i stitch these images?

by OfF3nSiV3 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:02 am

I took some photos of a circular object while moving, ie, i moved around the object and took photos, but Autopano (and others) are having a hard time stitching the thing. I upload the photos if anyone is willing to experiment.

Download pics

I know this is a big no no, but i managed to do the same to a straight wall (below).

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:00 am

I see many problems
You were too close to the subject fore ground which will not let you stitch perfectly, then your moment was irregular with different amount of overlap. I tried stitching them & found that not even (any) 2 images overlap perfectly so how would you get the final pano.

I have done 2 such panos from top of a crane & they were fine as I measured the outer ring on which I moved in equal distance & the scene was distant not so close, they worked fine for me.
Last edited by digipano on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
wjh31

Info

by wjh31 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:53 am

while the pictures download for me to try, i suggest to try changing the focal length in the image settings when you import them

now i have downloaded and had a look:
For a little hint as to why i suggested changing the focal length, see this thread: http://www.autopano.net/forum/t6053-linear-panoramas
taking your example of the straight wall, taking photos at low focal length moving along, is similar to taking photos from far away with a telel lens from an NPP, in doing this you are seeking an architectural projection, i.e an image like an architectureal drawing, its probably not actually called that (maybe more like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthographic_projection). So you can kid APP into doing this be changing the focal length to something huge in the settings when you import the pictures. However this obviously is way off the NPP so will cause alot of parallax issues. But fortunately, parallax issues only happen when things are different distances from the camera. In your shot down the wall, everything is one distance from the camera, i.e its just the wall so it can stitch without too many errors, although id bet there are a few errors on the ground closer to the camera. With your second circular image, there are huge parallax issues, objects are at all sorts of different lengths from the camera, so whatever way you get them to stitch, you are going to get some crazy errors. With some carefull CP manipulation, you could get the foreground or background to be consistent, but not both, whichever isnt aligned properly is going to look awful. I have experimented with this sort of shot moving down a wall (http://lifeinmegapixels.com/location.php?location=kings3) which features both sections where everything is just one distance, and bits where things are all depths from the camera. You can see how the parts of consistend distance look nice and work well, but the other parts, e.g where the cars are parked closer to the camera are covered in ugly errors.

So no, its not a 'big no no' as you say, APP is meant for trying out new things and figureing out what the software can do beyond what it is merely meant to do, but for these types of images, there are just a couple of things you need to consider to make them work
Last edited by wjh31 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
OfF3nSiV3

Topic author
Info

by OfF3nSiV3 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:47 pm

i forgot to mention that i did try setting the focal length to 1000mm
i shall experiment with this technique, as i only did it once (the wall)
thank you guys

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:02 pm

OfF3nSiV3 wrote:I took some photos of a circular object while moving, ie, i moved around the object and took photos, but Autopano (and others) are having a hard time stitching the thing. I upload the photos if anyone is willing to experiment.

Download pics

I know this is a big no no, but i managed to do the same to a straight wall (below).

http://filipefreitas.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/smartblend0000.jpg

Can't be done with APP/APG - what you are effectively trying to do is to make an object movie.
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr.php

The wall is a different issue altogether - this is essentially an orthogonal projection.
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.