Using APG to stitch a linear pano - problems  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Liked in: 4 posts
Info

Using APG to stitch a linear pano - problems

by Photosbykev » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to use Autopano Giga to stitch a set of images when the camera is being physically moved between shots, rather than a simple rotation around the NPP?

I'm trying to shoot a series of stained glass windows in a long narrow corridor i.e. one portrait image for each window and then move the camera to align it on the centre of the next window with a 25-30% overlap on the previous window so plenty of alignment points. Loading them into APG and trying to detect the long and narrow panorama just isn't working with the default settings. The images aren't being linked and most of them are just piled up on top of each other because they don't have links.

Using APG for standard 360 panoramas is working very well.

For information I'm using a Canon 5D4 and Canon 24mm lens and shooting the windows about 4 metres away. I'm setting up the camera after moving it at the same horizontal distance and the camera is adjusted using an inclinometer so it is aligned the same for each shot.

Are there switches within APG I should be manually setting rather than dragging a folder of images and using the auto detect function.

regards
Kev

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

Re: Using APG to stitch a linear pano - problems

by olivierbo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:33 am

Hello,

Yes, it is possible but not always easy to do. First of all, you must use a telephoto that not have distorsion if possible or pre-process your pictures to remove it.
Then, as you noticed, keep always the same distance between the camera and subject. If you are not able to stitch your pictures properly, you can try to decrease the overlap between pictures.

There's some posts into the forum you could use:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31717
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31164#p181055
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33001

Let me know if it helps.
Also, if you can share or send your footages (let me know if it is confidential I will send you a PM).

Kind regards,
Olivier

Photosbykev likes this post.

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:55 am

Thank you Olivier,

I am making progress since my original post by pre-processing the images in LR to remove as much distortion as possible, using the lens correction and Vertical correction functions.

Unfortunately I can't move further back to use a telephoto lens, as the other side of the Cathedral cloister is immediately behind me. I originally posted I used a 24mm lens on a Canon 5D4, but in fact, on checking the exif it was a 16mm!

I'm trying to getting the overlapping stained glass windows to stitch as they are all in the same focus plane, the columns between them have some depth so it would be impossible to stitch those areas correctly but the windows are the main priority.

I'm still working on it but this is currently where I am.

my thanks for your input it is always appreciated.

Kev

olivierbo wrote:Hello,

Yes, it is possible but not always easy to do. First of all, you must use a telephoto that not have distorsion if possible or pre-process your pictures to remove it.
Then, as you noticed, keep always the same distance between the camera and subject. If you are not able to stitch your pictures properly, you can try to decrease the overlap between pictures.

There's some posts into the forum you could use:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31717
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31164#p181055
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33001

Let me know if it helps.
Also, if you can share or send your footages (let me know if it is confidential I will send you a PM).

Kind regards,
Olivier

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:59 am

Hi Kev,

Complex case but really impressive! :)

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:40 am

Life is boring without a challenge :)

Kev

olivierbo wrote:Hi Kev,

Complex case but really impressive! :)

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm

More progress and fine tuning with some offline help, I'm fairly happy with the result. I'll have a play with some of the options being suggested in the links above to see if there is further improvements to be had.

Can someone advise me on the best way to update a master image in Panotour Pro. What I currently do is rename the image folder in 360Data so Panotour doesn't find it and overwrite the old master image with the new version before loading up Panotour and rebuilding the tour which forces the software to regenerate all the tiles for the updated image.

I then upload the updated image folder into my online 360Data folder and also update the xml files

The online version is here http://www.photosbykev.co.uk/panoramas/St_Peters_v3/360pano.html?s=pano6959, I'd appreciate a quick look as I'm seeing some image corruption on the right hand side which might just be a caching issue

best regards
Kev

bdd
Kolor Team

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by bdd » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Photosbykev wrote:Can someone advise me on the best way to update a master image in Panotour Pro. What I currently do is rename the image folder in 360Data so Panotour doesn't find it and overwrite the old master image with the new version before loading up Panotour and rebuilding the tour which forces the software to regenerate all the tiles for the updated image.

A right click on the scene in the main workspace of PTP, and then click on the "Replace panorama file" entry of the contextual menu.
It should do the job.

Gérald

Photosbykev likes this post.

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:26 pm

bdd wrote:
Photosbykev wrote:Can someone advise me on the best way to update a master image in Panotour Pro. What I currently do is rename the image folder in 360Data so Panotour doesn't find it and overwrite the old master image with the new version before loading up Panotour and rebuilding the tour which forces the software to regenerate all the tiles for the updated image.

A right click on the scene in the main workspace of PTP, and then click on the "Replace panorama file" entry of the contextual menu.
It should do the job.

Gérald

well that's a damn sight easier lol, thank you

Kev

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi Kev,

Congratulations! Impressive work with all the difficulties that this implies.
I'm not sure I can see errors in your job. Accessing some panoramas is sometimes quite long (400MB lan speed)

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:36 pm

Congratulations! Impressive work with all the difficulties that this implies.
I'm not sure I can see errors in your job. Accessing some panoramas is sometimes quite long (400MB lan speed)

Cheers,
Olivier

Thank you Olivier, the master image files are around 300Mb (30000x15000) but I haven't considered using JpegMiniPro or something similar to reduce the smaller jpg segments after building the tour but before uploading them to my server.

There are significant errors where the columns in the images overlap but the stained glass panels have stitched very well which was my priority. I can understand why the errors are there because there are no alignment points possible in those areas, it's like trying to align the left hand and right hand sides of your face :).

I did find out why I was seeing a partially corrupt panorama it was the image cache in Google Chrome. Once that was cleared the problem resolved itself :)

regards
Kev

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi Kev,

I assume you've probably tried to add automatic control points but manual control point which is pixel accurate?

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
Photosbykev

Topic author
Info

by Photosbykev » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:05 pm

I assume you've probably tried to add automatic control points but manual control point which is pixel accurate?

Cheers,
Olivier

Hi Olivier my process was:

Dragged the raw images (sets of 3 exposures) into LR, ran the lens correction and verticals correction, wb etc and synced all the files (30 in total). Exported them all as 16bit tiff files.

Ran a batch routine in Photomatix to blend the images sets into master HDR tiff images

I dragged the HDR image folder into APG and ran autodetect which fails as expected on this set.

Opened the Control Point window and deleted all the control points to unlink the files.

Then selected adjacent images, #1 and #2, and dragged a rectangular window around the right hand side of the 1st image and left hand side of the 2nd image. APG would then give me 50+ control points with high alignment errors i.e. red. Ran the quick optimise to increase the CP accuracy, cleaned out any CPs above 5 and reoptimised. (For 360 panoramas I would normally look for CPs with less than an error of 3)

Then selected images #2 and #3 and repeated the alignment sequence and continued until all the images were linked. Luckily there are only 10 images lol

Ran a final optimise and then adjusted the preview image to level it and straighten the verticals before rendering the final image out into a 16bit psb file to finish in Photoshop.

best regards
Kev