Panotour suitable for automatic tour creation?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
TimF

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

Panotour suitable for automatic tour creation?

by TimF » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 am

Hello, I'm trying to determine if I will be able to use Panotour for my use-case. Any suggestions or clarifications appreciated. The use-case is as follows:

I have a set of 360 degree images, and for each image I have the x,y coordinates and heading at which this image was taken.
I'd like to turn this into a virtual tour completely automatically, if possible. That is, I want to just provide files containing the image and position data, and automatically produce the virtual tour, with no manual processing.

Is this (or something like this) possible with Panotour? My first thought was that I could write a script to generate a .kpt file from the image/position data, then just open Panotour and build it. But I'm not sure what format the .kpt files are in, or what kind of information is stored in there.

Again, any suggestions/clarifications appreciated. I can provide more info if needed.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: Panotour suitable for automatic tour creation?

by Destiny » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:52 am

For a single pano image...
Step one.. Drop a pano image into PTP,
Step two.. Build
Step three.. Preview .. done..

If more than one pano, add hotspots to them and drag to other panos to link them..

However, if you want to add navigation menus, extra media than you need to add the appropriate plugins.. But its all still very quick and easy.. Very adaptable and customisable..

Destiny...

no avatar
TimF

Topic author
Info

by TimF » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:13 am

Hi, thanks for your reply.

For my use-case I'm expecting hundreds of panos, so really want to avoid any unnecessary manual work.

"add hotspots to them and drag to other panos to link them.. " -- that is the kind of manual work I'm trying to avoid.

It seems to me that fundamentally there should be no reason why the virtual tour cannot be created fully automatically if provided with the photos and location data, however I'm not sure if this is achievable with Panotour.

Again, my first thought would be to create the .kpt file myself containing all necessary metadata, then open it and build in panotour. But I'm not sure what the .kpt file format and contents are, so I'm not sure how feasible this is.

Could you comment on whether this approach of creating my own .kpt file would be feasible, or if there are any other options for creating a tour without any manual linking of the images?

Regards,
-Tim

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:49 am

Sorry, I do not .. You will have to wait for Kolor Support...

You do not have to add hotspots to link.. You can just drop all your panos into PTP, Order them as you want them to open and set to auto run tour.. You can add a thumb nail menu too.. There is not much import to achieve this.. It does not take that long to achieve this..

Destiny...

360-compunics-com-ni

Liked in: 163 posts
Info

by 360-compunics-com-ni » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:26 pm

The .kpt file is just an XML file containing definitions of the tour related elements and settings, so in theory it should be possible to create that file from existing data. However, this is probably not the best approach you could take, here are some aspects to consider.
Automated tour creation is not the intended use case of PTP, so you cannot expect it to be good at that. The format of the .kpt file is not publicly documented, so it would require intensive investigation to deduce the possible content from existing tours.
The objectids that are assigned to tour elements are created following the tour composition workflow, i'm not sure if you could just assign individual ids and then have them processed by PTP in the correct way.
I think that this approach would certainly be an interesting task if there were no other solution. Have you had a look at the underlying KRPano, which i think is much more suited for automated processing? It already comes with scripts to build complete tours via drag&drop, and the interface can be styled by templates.
https://krpano.com/docu/
Out now: DeviceCheck for PTP plugins! https://www.kolor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=37446

Want to know how clients use your tours? Google Analytics Track Events plugin: http://www.kolor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=34442

Add actions to your hotspots: Hotspot Actionlist plugin: http://www.kolor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=35829

Annis likes this post.

no avatar
Thomocheerio

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Thomocheerio » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:40 pm

I was looking for a similar solution. Photogrammetry software can accurately position regular photos, they just can't correctly do it with spherical images. I'm not a software developer so don't really understand why, but it seems combining photogrammetry programs with autopano type programs would solve this problem.
Please let me know if you find anything.

no avatar
TimF

Topic author
Info

by TimF » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:16 am

Thanks for the tips/info. It looks like it will be non-trivial to get something running the way I'd like, so I'm not going to test anything out for now, but I'll update the thread if I make progress in future.

Thomocheerio likes this post.

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

by Annis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 am

I guess you could look into using the Auto GArrows plugin? If your panoramas are geolocalised then the spots could be placed automatically (and they'd be similar to street view arrows).

http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... erzh_Black

But initially, this really isn't what Panotour is for.