Tilted bracketing layers when stitching  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Liked in: 3 posts
Info

Tilted bracketing layers when stitching

by stadh » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:48 am

It seems like a bug to me. Or is there a setting that I overlooked?

I shot a spherical panorama with 32 positions and bracketing with 3 exposure variants, resulting in 96 images.
I checked that the bracketing sequences are exactly aligned. Not a pixel difference. Perfectly aligned. See this screencast:

alignedimages.mov
(5.72 MiB) Downloaded 109 times

When importing the images with the VRDrive wizard, I checked that the settings for stacks are set to "Fixed links" (I use the German version, don't know the exact English wording in the GUI. See screenshot to see what I mean).

ishot-2018-01-19_00-45-061.png

I did not enable Fusion in the Panorama editor:

ishot-2018-01-19_00-49-361.png

Then I rendered with "Antighost" preset and included all layers into the resulting PSB file.

ishot-2018-01-19_00-50-101.png

APG created a 4-layer PSB file with 3 layers containing the brackets and a fourth layer containing a fusioned image.
(Question: Why is there a fusioned layer, if I did not enable Fusion? Not an issue for me, but I don't understand this)

That fusioned image contains parts of each layer of course; however, here the layers are slightly shifted, resulting in blurry text for example. See here when I make only the fusioned layer visible:

blurrytext.mov
(6.29 MiB) Downloaded 105 times

I thought that exactly this phenomenon is NOT possible to happen, if I take care that I set the stacks to fixed links.
Am I wrong with this assumption? Or is there a bug in APG?

Thanks,
Daniel

no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Liked in: 3 posts
Info

Re: Tilted bracketing layers when stitching

by stadh » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:01 am

One more data point, that might be of interest:
The three bracket layers in the PSB do NOT show that blurryness. Only the fourth (fusion) layer does.
However, the single bracketing layers are tilted against each other a bit.

That means to me: It cannot be a stitching issue, as then it would be visible in the single bracketing layers as well, right?
(To support this assumption, I rendered over night a second version of this pano with manually created control points directly on these signs with text, so that stitching *must* be perfect. The result is not any different than before).

But the renderer does not use fixed joints between the layers when stitching each single layer.