AutoPano Video & NVIDIA card -> how to enable?  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Video bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
just

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

AutoPano Video & NVIDIA card -> how to enable?

by just » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:06 am

Hello,

I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 video card installed on my PC.

How can I guide the Autopano Video to use this video card for video rendering?

I've found some instructions how to do so (please see the snapshot below), but the NVIDIA Control Panel does not show the AutoPano application (also please see the snapshot below).

So, how to enable the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 video card for the Autopano Video?

NVIDIA.jpg

NVIDIA_002.jpg

Thank you!

DJW

Liked in: 3 posts
Info

Re: AutoPano Video & NVIDIA card -> how to enable?

by DJW » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi

So you only need to worry about this if your PC / laptop has an integrated GPU, otherwise the 1070 will be the only card seen / used.

If you do have an integrated GPU, you need to go to the 'Manage 3D settings' in the NVIDIA Control Panel, then select the 'Program Settings' tab then if APV is not in the '1. Select a program to customise' list, select 'Add', in a few seconds you'll see a dialogue that allows you to select any programs, or if APV is still not showing, you can choose 'Browse' from that screen and browse to the 'AutopanoVideoPro_x64.exe' file, it should be in 'C:\Program Files\Kolor\Autopano Video Pro 3.0'

Once you have it selected in '1. Select a program to customise', you need to select the 'Preferred graphics processor' in the second step. So make sure this says 'High Performance Nvidia processor' and you're good to go...

Hope that helps.
Best regards
David.

no avatar
just

Topic author
Info

by just » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:57 pm

The AVP was not on the programs list, so I added it in the '1. Select a program to customise' section.

You also wrote:
"Once you have it selected in '1. Select a program to customise', you need to select the 'Preferred graphics processor' in the second step. So make sure this says 'High Performance Nvidia processor'"

So, what's the "second step"? Where should I select the 'High Performance Nvidia processor'?

In the '2. Specify the settings for this program' section', there are many options in 'off' (please see the attached snapshot). Should I turn them to 'ON'?

NVIDIA_004.jpg

DJW

Info

by DJW » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Looks like you only have the one GPU, the Nvidia. I would leave all those settings alone.

Have you tried rendering with AVP..? It will tell you in the render dialogue which GPU it’s using.

Can you confirm what your machine is..? And the CPU..? So we can understand whether it has an embedded GPU..? I suspect it does not.

I’ll try to get some screenshots to you when I’m at my desk.

no avatar
just

Topic author
Info

by just » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:46 am

I'm using the ASUS ROG GL502VS laptop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 video card (here is a link to the spec: https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of ... fications/).

As for rendering, It seems APV uses the GeForce video card - please see a snapshot below. But AVP loads the GPU just for ~10% while it loads the CPU for ~70% - please see another snapshot below. Honestly I would prefer AVP loads GPU and leave CPU for another tasks... Is this possible?

The Tasks Manager also shows what only 'GPU 0 - 3D' engine is used (shown in the snapshot)... What about rest of the engines?

Render.jpg

GPU.jpg

DJW

Info

by DJW » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 am

It’s my understanding that AVP uses CPU and GPU resources for different parts of the processing workflow. You can optimise for the Nvidia GPU by selecting GPGPU in the Settings dialogue, Render Engine. This uses Cuda processing and is faster than webGL. This will improve the live preview and the final render speed. But some functions will remain on the CPU.

Hope that helps.
David.

no avatar
just

Topic author
Info

by just » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi David,

You wrote:
You can optimise for the Nvidia GPU by selecting GPGPU in the Settings dialogue, Render Engine

What settings are you talking about? Are the settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel or Settings in the APV? How do I get/open these setting?

Thank you

DJW

Info

by DJW » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Sorry, just realised I didn't respond.

This is in APV. Edit>Settings>General Tab>Rendering Engine. Set it to GPGPU Engine.

APV_GPGPU.JPG

Please let me know if you have it sorted.

no avatar
just

Topic author
Info

by just » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm using APV v2.5.2.
There is no an option to check what's GPU is chosen (see the attachment below). I can only see that it's enabled.
In the 'Check' option, in the Missing Features appears "There are no missing features", that's all.
But how can I know what GPU is in use?
1.jpg

DJW

Info

by DJW » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Apologies, I sent you the screengrab from V3, thats where the Cuda processing is enabled, in V2.5.2 CUDA is not available. So it looks like your APV is already using the correct GPU, in your screengrab above its rendering on the 1070. So you're set up correctly.

no avatar
just

Topic author
Info

by just » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:41 pm

How do you know it's rendering on the 1070 ? How to know?