VR not working  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
LBernos

Topic author
Liked in: 7 posts
Info

VR not working

by LBernos » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:12 am

Hello!

Recently I we bought a Samsung Gear Vr, and I tested our tour on it. But unfortunately, the tour is not working on VR mode.. I cant even pick the right VR goggles.

Is there any way you can take a look on it and advise me on how I can make it work? maybe Im doing something wrong?

Here is the link of our tour: http://souq-tour.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/

Thanks!

Lino

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: VR not working

by Destiny » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:44 am

Hi.. Seems to work for me.. I can select the googles and view them.. It does take a few seconds to load..

I am surprised at the video quality.. Its not great but not yuck either.

Destiny...
Attachments
VRmode-1.jpg

no avatar
LBernos

Topic author
Info

by LBernos » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:41 am

Destiny wrote:Hi.. Seems to work for me.. I can select the googles and view them.. It does take a few seconds to load..

Destiny...

Hi Destiny,

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation :)

Are you playing it using Samsung VR? 'cause I cant really play it.. do you think internet connection plays a big part?

Also regarding video quality.. I converted it down to lower quality so it will play better on a browser/mobile.. do you have any tips for me to attain a better quality video and a good sized file?

Thank you for your help.

Lino

no avatar
LBernos

Topic author
Info

by LBernos » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Destiny wrote:Hi.. Seems to work for me.. I can select the googles and view them.. It does take a few seconds to load..

Destiny...

Hello,

With regards on the 360 video. Im wondering why the one you have viewed was low quality? because the video we produced is at 4K quality (you can check it here: https://youtu.be/Ym4fdoGQgzE)

Am I doing something wrong thats making the resolution go down?

Also I like to add that our virtual tour is still not working in Samsung Gear VR.. are you using a special app to launch it? or just the Samsung VR internet browser?

Thanks!

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

by Annis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:27 pm

LBernos wrote:Am I doing something wrong thats making the resolution go down?

Destiny's screenshot was from the browser. If I remember correctly she mainly uses Safari, and Safari will always use the low-res version of the video if you've supplied one. http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... _on_Mac_OS

What happens exactly when you try to view your tour on Gear VR? Did you enable webvr on your browser?

no avatar
GRB

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by GRB » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:57 am

I'm using a Gear VR and I also have an issue with entering VR mode. When entering VR mode, I see the two displays meant for each eye, but they are at a distance right next to each other, so there is no "VR" effect. Just two slightly different images right next to each other.

I had this issue when making my own tours, and I couldn't find a way for it to work properly and give an actual VR effect using the Gear VR.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:12 am

GRB wrote:I'm using a Gear VR and I also have an issue with entering VR mode. When entering VR mode, I see the two displays meant for each eye, but they are at a distance right next to each other, so there is no "VR" effect. Just two slightly different images right next to each other.

That is what VR Mode is, your screen is split into two identical viewers, one for each eye.
If you want to use stereo images, meaning with a slight difference in the viewpoint for each eye then you need to follow this tutorial: http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... _Panoramas

no avatar
GRB

Info

by GRB » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:43 am

Thank you for the quick reply.

If I can just clarify to make sure we understand each other. When I go to VR mode on a tour while using the Gear VR is effectively the same as when I go to VR mode on my desktop. http://prnt.sc/f1dw65 The viewers also don't seem to be exactly identical; they are at slightly different angles.

The different displays for both eyes are not presented in a way that one display goes to only one eye, but it feels like both are shown side-by-side on a screen. Is that how it is supposed to be? And the only way to avoid this is to use stereo images?

Thank you for taking your time to answer.

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:17 am

GRB wrote:If I can just clarify to make sure we understand each other. When I go to VR mode on a tour while using the Gear VR is effectively the same as when I go to VR mode on my desktop. http://prnt.sc/f1dw65 The viewers also don't seem to be exactly identical; they are at slightly different angles.
This is what you're meant to see in VR Mode.
If the phone's screen size isn't detected correctly, or you want to use different HMD presets, tap on the screen and change your settings.

And the only way to avoid this is to use stereo images?

That is if you want to have an actual stereo view in your headset, but most users don't have the set up for shooting that type of content and just use the dual-screen.

I am not certain what exactly you were expecting to be different when entering VR Mode?

no avatar
GRB

Info

by GRB » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 am

Maybe I was mistaken, but I assumed the experience of viewing the tour in VR mode with the Gear VR to be different than seeing two almost identical displays side-by-side. Because if that's all it does, I don't quite see the use of it. I thought the two images would somehow be displayed in such a way, that with the Gear VR on, it would appear as one image.

Maybe I'm just missing something obvious and wasting your time. Thank you for your patience.

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:07 pm

With the Gear on, your should view it as if it were only one image, like when you're seeing with your eyes right now instead of having two visual feeds they are merged into one to view your surroundings.

Have you checked that the correct HMD was selected in the settings?