Mac OS X Sierra - Color Bug with Canon RAW files   [SOLVED] - View the solution

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
jop

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Mac OS X Sierra - Color Bug with Canon RAW files

by jop » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:14 am

Using the trial version (v 4.2.3 , OS X 10.12.2, 16GB RAM, MBP 15" ) to see if RAW files from Canon 7D mkII was supported. It seems to work as far as no error messages but the colors in the rendered image is completely wrong. See attachment.

This is clearly a bug since the first time I run the program after installation it actually works. However, on subsequent runs the colours are like the one in the attachment ("abstract").

Unfortunately this is such a sever bug it will, for obvious reason, prevent me from purchasing a license.
Attachments
WrongColors.png
Screenshot showing the colour problem

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

Re: Mac OS X Sierra - Color Bug with Canon RAW files

by olivierbo » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:47 am

Hello,

As stated in our documentation, FAQ and in many different post forum, this is not a bug. Autopano Pro/Giga is not yet compatible with Sierra. We will release a new version in the very beginning of 2017.
Also, as stated in our FAQ, you can use RAW but it's not recommended.
Autopano is stiching software, not RAW decoding software, so Autopano will only decode the RAW files with the very default values, defeating the whole purpose of RAW shooting. It is best to treat your RAWs in dedicated software beforehand. Prefer shooting in JPG or TIFF if you do not want to treat the RAW photos.

Autopano is able to decode the RAW format. However, the different RAW formats evolve over time, depending on brands and camera models. Therefore, it is possible that Autopano can't decode some RAW files, simply because the database is not updated. This usually happens when a new camera model is released, containing a new coding of its RAW format and which is not included in Autopano. The solution for that is to decode this new RAW format in .tiff 16 bits format, which is the equivalent of what Autopano does during the decoding.
We update our decoding database following this evolution, but it takes some time, so there is a delay between the release of a camera and the update of a new version of Autopano that support this new encoding format.

Happy Holiday Season,
Olivier

no avatar
jop

Topic author
Info

by jop » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:30 am

Thanks for the reply! The reason I called it a bug is that, as I stated, it worked the first time using RAW files after installation, I tried several panoramas using RAW and it worked just fine. It was only after quitting the program and restarting it that this incorrect behaviour was observed and I was unable to correct it by adjusting the user available configurations.

So in conclusion your SW is able to correctly decode the Canon RAW format but restarting the program somehow reinitialise some internal settings in an incorrect way.

I did look through the FAQ but I obviously missed the "Not compatible with the current version of OS X". May I suggest you add a simple check at startup of the program on what OS version the program is running and give a warning if it is not supported.

Best regards

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:33 am

Hello,

Yes, we are aware about this strange issue and about some values that are not kept once you restart the app ;-)
Anyway, thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Cheers,
Olivier

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:30 am

@olivierbo:
Are you sure that it is really a sierra problem? At my site, canon raw never gave correct colors. Not with sierra, not with el cap, not with any earlyer version of osx.

greetings from germany
Chris

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:20 am

Hi Chris,

I do not have such issue with CR files on Mavericks nor Yosemite. Can you share/send your pictures and give me the exact version of the system you use and the computer model as well?

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
Asher Kelman

Info

by Asher Kelman » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:34 pm

This is the same problem I have but have termed it "Posterization". I have been previously able to process RAW files from Canon Cameras and Sony. Now the RAW files from the Canon 6D and the Sony A7 II cannot be processed properly as before.

What needs to be done is that APGiga should open the files in ones favorite RAW software and then on processing them, they would automatically be stitched.

The other point is that Autopano should register in the software the color space. It leaves it empty and unassigned!

Asher

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:02 pm

Hello Asher,

I do not have any problem stiching Canon 6D CR2 files or Sony A7 II ARW files !APG 4.4 RC1). What's yours?
There are 2 plugins included with APG, Lightroom and Bridge.
The color space is sRGB and can't be modified.

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
maximilian ritter

Info

by maximilian ritter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Hello I have a very similar problem. Did you already release the update for sierra?
Attachments
Apg Error.jpeg
screenshot

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

Re: Mac OS X Sierra - Color Bug with Canon RAW files  [SOLVED]

by olivierbo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Yes, for a while now: http://www.kolor.com/2017/01/31/panoram ... -4-beta-1/
Stable version will come soon.

Best,