which better? ricoh Theta S or 6 " GoPro " ?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Video!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
dronessul

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

which better? ricoh Theta S or 6 " GoPro " ?

by dronessul » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:28 pm

I 'm Wanting to Start Making a video IN 360, but I am in doubt whether I buy Ricoh Theta S OR 6 GoPro , Wed YOU advise and Why !

no avatar
mandivision

Info

Re: which better? ricoh Theta S or 6 " GoPro " ?

by mandivision » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:09 pm

The resolution of the 6 gopro rig is ALOT higher than the Theta. It is also a lot more work both in shooting and post-production. In my opinion the resolution is worth it.

I made this review for Gizmodo comparing all the smaller consumer 360° cameras: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef3ygVG ... EX7DAwQVis

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:38 pm

In my opinion.. Neither of them.. mandivision is correct.. but in addition there is also a huge price difference.. If you are considering a new purchase, I would suggest waiting.. There are some real affordable options coming into the market very soon.. To me, the best option currently available would be the Fly360. But much better options will soon arrive..

Destiny...

no avatar
mandivision

Info

by mandivision » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:11 pm

The SP360 4k gives much better results than the Fly360, and has more control as far as image control goes.

Curious to see if the 360fly improves much with the 4k version, but I've had issues with low resolution and rolling shutter on the current model.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:58 pm

That's interesting.. I have not really looked into the SP360... Not since it was released.. I see a trend where the single lens pointing up seems to have far less WB issues.. Do you have any example 360 video from the SP360?? The new Nikon KeyMission having two lenses, seems to have WB issues with their demo video.. I am hoping they fix this issue.. One thing is certain, in time this media hardware is developing very fast..

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:04 am

This is interesting.. The camera might capture 4K video, but the software does not make distinction so the output is not 4K... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3noXftGAAM

Destiny...

no avatar
dronessul

Topic author
Info

by dronessul » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:07 pm

Good morning mate!

Now I'm in doubt between SP360 and 360fy ! A pity on YouTube quality goes down a lot!

But I saw on facebook, immersing the 360 is more quality! My intention is to focus on Facebook because my videos earn more emphasis on it !

I've even seen some videos of how to edit in Adobe Premiere own .

no avatar
mandivision

Info

by mandivision » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:34 pm

Destiny, there is footage in the review linked in my last post from the SP360 4k. The 4k is a huge improvement from the original model.

4K for 360 is a misnomer in general. For the SP360 4k, the camera technically has the same number of pixels as a 4k image, but it is recording in a square image, some of which are just black around the spherical image that is captured.

The Kodak software does downgrade the resolution(although I haven't tested since January, it may be have been updated) but you can also unwarp the footage in After Effects and get a higher resolution equirectangular output.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:28 pm

Yes, I see that now.. Amazingly viewing the video using Safari, the quality, like other options such as the Fly360, is quite good.. Pity about the big nadir footprint.. But there are no Parallax issues with using a single lens.. However, viewing the media using Chrome, the quality is not so good.. The issue with using a single lens, if it were to capture more than 180, the cameras would come into view... Perhaps the only way to fix this issue would be to have a lens bigger than the camera control.. The Nikon KeyMission having two lenses, would need to capture more than 180, but thats ok and needed too since the overlap is needed for stitching.. Having only two lenses, and being fixed in their position, the Parallax be perfect, but going by their demo videos, its not... Also, having more than one lens, the WB has issues.. I feel therefore, that the only way to achieve a good result would be to either have a single lens, capable of capturing more than 180, but using a bigger lens to avoid capturing the camera box, or a unit needs to have heaps of smaller camera lenses to allow software to blend in the WB, and being small lenses, any Parallax issues would be minimal.. Perhaps that might be why the Nokia OZO has adopted the multiple lens system. However, that using it very strange and cost heaps.. Rather than adding their battery or, handle at the nadir its on the side.. I have yet to see some output from that unit.. It seems to me that no matter what hardware you have, as soon as it posted on YouTube the quality goes out of the window.. I noticed that Facebook now have their own Surround 360 video camera system, but not sure on the quality..

For a 360 video camera to take off, it needs to address so many technical issues and be affordable.. Its clear that this technology is not so easy to develop.. There are some units that are just terrible, rubbish in fact, but others are developing well.. Most of whats available can be seen here.. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=360+ ... H9jH-qM%3A

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:49 am

Hi.. Viewing at 4K the media is not bad at all.. Still a few issues but its really starting to get there.. http://www.cnet.com/au/products/samsung-gear-360/ Not sure why this media is not supported by Safari.. No price yet... In my opinion, these demos are better than the Nikon KeyMission..

Destiny...

no avatar
dronessul

Topic author
Info

by dronessul » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:20 am

Thank you for for sharing your knowledge!

For an analysis of situations , I will use SP360 Kodak ! Because my focus is surfing and use of Drones . And she has a certain ease to it !

How to own a Xiaomi Yi , I try to engage in the back of the SP360 and try to make 360 Full Video!