Computer for AutoPano Video and Giga  

Your computers are also an important part in the creation of immersive content. Discuss configurations and computer hardware here.
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
erfan

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

Computer for AutoPano Video and Giga

by erfan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi all,

I am planning to invest in a brand new machine for stitching using Autopano Video & giga. Currently I use a macbook pro 15 inch, 2.8ghz, 16 GB ram, 700 GB HDD, its quite fast, but I'm looking for something even faster and don't mind making the switch to PC, maybe even create my own one. So my question to you guys is what specifications would you go for, or is there a specific tower that would be perfect for it.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Best
Erfan

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

Re: Computer for AutoPano Video and Giga

by klausesser » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:48 pm

erfan wrote:Hi all,

I am planning to invest in a brand new machine for stitching using Autopano Video & giga. Currently I use a macbook pro 15 inch, 2.8ghz, 16 GB ram, 700 GB HDD, its quite fast, but I'm looking for something even faster and don't mind making the switch to PC, maybe even create my own one. So my question to you guys is what specifications would you go for, or is there a specific tower that would be perfect for it.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Best
Erfan

Hi Erfan!

I honestly suggest to take in account a "Hackintosh". That means the very preferable MacOS running on a
PC-hardware . . . for which graphic-cards and RAM are very much more affordable compared to a new MacPro.

You can purchase 64 or 96GB of RAM for remarkably less money than from the Apple-store´s MacPro´s upgrade phantasy-price.

You even can get 128 or 256GB - depending on the board.

After almost 30 years of using Macs on a professional base i decided to go this way after closely evaluating the new MacPro.

This machine is very nice - but . . . .

I´m currently using a 2 x 3GHz Xeons MacPro featuring 8 cores and max. 32GB RAM - that´s ok even with Gigapixels - but dealing with panoramic-video and upcoming 3D-Stereo panoramas and 360° Stereo-video that´s not enough power.

Klaus

no avatar
erfan

Topic author
Info

by erfan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:38 pm

thanks for the info, currently we are operating on mac pro's and MacBooks, and we are much more familiar with macs, your suggestion makes perfect sense.
Anyway you can give me some more info regarding your pc, i.e. graphic cards and other stuff i would need, I'm just a bit of pc noob, having made the switch 7 years ago. So don't really remember what's needed, specially one that suits AVP & Giga. thanks again

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:51 pm

I decided for following case: http://www.corsair.com/en/obsidian-seri ... tower-case
its really huge, massive space for whatever you decide to plugin. I decided for 6 WD red HDs and 6 1TB cucial SSDs.
I currently run my System with 50% CPUs & Memory: 1 x Xeon e5-2680 v2 with 128GB RAM.

today I would use Xeons Version 3, because of smarter Motherboards available....
today I would not use the WD reds with 4TB capacity, I would use the WD NAS series with 8TB (the TB is cheaper)...

dont go for watercooling. the case is huge enough thataircooling is less noisier. modern Nvidia GTX 980 even can be run with fans shutdown (only during Rendering etc. fan will come up... the waterpumps always do run....)

only go for one GPU Card (only one GPU core is used by APG, APV can handle dual GPU cores, but no SLI Arrays - correct me if something changed with last updates...)
so I would go to a GPU with 6GB of if you can be Patient until end of march than the Titan 2 / GTX 990 or whcihever names the new Generation will have) than 12GB for really big Project will be 2 years Future proof.

about the case: the plexiglass side door can be changed to an closed case door too.

maybe I would decide for next gen "SSD", which fit into the ram sockets... so a 250GB drive would Speed up the Rendering process...

Georg

erfan likes this post.

no avatar
erfan

Topic author
Info

by erfan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:49 pm

thanks for this, I've just got back to it !