.kro file integration in Panotour doesn't work  

This forum is fully dedicated to Panotour / Panotour Pro bug reports as well as feature discussion.
no avatar
Morgan

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

.kro file integration in Panotour doesn't work

by Morgan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:35 am

Hello Kolor Team,

Since a while we are using larger file to produce VT with PTP.

We try to integrate very large HDR pano. As .PSB file from photoshop is not accepted in PTP, we tried to use .EXR and even KRO. The funny thing is we can produce .EXR in AGP but we cannot use it in PTP :-)
But .KRO files are accepted in both software, it was a hope for us to use it and succeed...

Unfortunately, we have generated a large pano in .KRO (68458x34239 - 17Go) and when we've inserted it in PTP it has been accepted but produce a weird image (look at the attachment).

Can you tell us which format we have to use to generate a very large pano in AGP in HDR that could be edit with photoshop or another professional editor, and finally use it in PTP?

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer.

Sincerely.

Morgan
Attachments
capture ghost-artefact bug with kro file.png

no avatar
benji33
Kolor Team

Liked in: 199 posts
Info

Re: .kro file integration in Panotour doesn't work

by benji33 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:13 pm

Large .PSB (more than 20 Go) should work with Panotour 2.3 beta 1.
Not accepted in your case ?

.KRO files should be accepted too without issue.

I'll have a look on your problem with a developer.
Benjamin

no avatar
Morgan

Topic author
Info

by Morgan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Dear Benjamin,

Thanks for your prompt answer. In fact the problem in the .KRO picture comes from the import wizard of roundshot :-(
They shift one stack of the 7 stacks so that's why we have artifact ghost issue on this pano. Should we have to go back to roundshot or do you handle those issues yourselves?

About the large >20Go PSB file, we are going to try right now and will tell you.
But can you tell me if the 2.3 beta has a limit of size as we have super large pano (more than 150Go) and would like to be sure to try only If it works :-)

Thanks for your help.

Morgan

no avatar
benji33
Kolor Team

Info

by benji33 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Not tested with 150Go panorama yet. Latest test, I've personnaly see, was with a 48Go panorama PSB file.

.PSB must be uncompressed to be used by Panotour. And if possible must be "merged" (flatten).
.KRO is working well but not in HDR export. As you can see .KRO can only be exported in 8 bits or 16 bits (no 32 bits).

In fact the better workflow for Autopano to Panotour is to use the Exposure fusion blending preset of Autopano (resulting image will be a little different) and export in 8 bits depth.
See also on Photomatix website : http://hdrsoft.com/support/faq_photomatix.html#workflow

Panotour is only able to generate 8 bits images, so 16 bits will be render as 8 bits and more slowly. Panotour is not able to import 32 bits images as HDR .exr format because it doesn't host a tone mapping software.
And as far as I know tone mapping software for gigapixels as your doesn't exist yet !
Benjamin

no avatar
Morgan

Topic author
Info

by Morgan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Dear Benjamin,

Thanks for your answer.

About the roundshot import wizard, you didn't reply to me who do we have to contact.

Actually, we are big fans of HDR (and our customers too :-)) and what we are usually do is to render pano by stack (so X times a 8 or 16 bits file like TIFF or PSB). After to create a nice result file we use "Oloneo Photo Engine" program. Unfortunately, this software is not able to process PSB file, so we cannot create HDR file when it's about very large pano rendering files :-(
If I may, no offence, but the result is must better than "Exposure fusion blending "!
Of course, as you mentioned we always use blended flat uncompressed PSB file to be sure no compatibility issue will occur.

To be clear, what I mean when I talk about HDR is that we don't want to play with 32bits files, we just want to have a .TIFF. PSB or whatever file that is already with the best setting of HDR and then ready to be imported in PTP.
We know and don't want to play with HDR inside PTP as like you said it's not the purpose of PTP.

Anyway, we will check your link and will keep you updated about the test in 2.3 beta of PTP.

Thanks a lot for your help.

no avatar
benji33
Kolor Team

Info

by benji33 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Into Autopano the images are not moved. So it seems that you have a stack which contains the ghost buildings ?

Also Autopano is less powerful than dedicated HDR softwares for the ghost removal.
Perhaps an other workflow with the use a dedicated software for HDR then after treatment use the exports into Autopano will be better ?

CORRECTED : so it seems that it's your workflow.
Benjamin

no avatar
benji33
Kolor Team

Info

by benji33 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:11 pm

So : if you doesn't have a non aligned stack into Autopano there is a problem. Check the presence or no of the "ghost" building into Autopano.

If there is a real problem we'll be happy to deal with your files to see the problem.
Benjamin

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Morgan wrote: Actually, we are big fans of HDR (and our customers too :-))

HDR cannot get displayed on usual hardware. It needs to be transferred (tonemaped) from HDR to 8 or 16bit/ch usual
image-formats like TIFF or .psd/-psb.

I use .PSB for my 87000px wide panos which i shoot using HDR. No problems so far.

I use HDR and tonemapping BEFORE stitching by importing the already mapped TIFFs into APG. This way you make it far more easy for APG
to work - and you can render what you like: JPG, TIFF 8 or 16bit, .PSD, .PSB, or KRO for using the rendering in PTP.

Klaus

PS: the advantage of mapping the HDR in Photomatix or Oloneo is that you can 1) do REAL tonemapping instead of just fusioning and
2) both apps provide very clever options for HOW the mapping is done.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Morgan wrote:
To be clear, what I mean when I talk about HDR is that we don't want to play with 32bits files, we just want to have a .TIFF. PSB or whatever file that is already with the best setting of HDR and then ready to be imported in PTP.
We know and don't want to play with HDR inside PTP as like you said it's not the purpose of PTP.

There seems to be some misunderstanding: "we don't want to play with 32bits files" would mean you cannot achieve really fine tonemapping!
"The best setting for HDR" is to process HDR i a dedicated HDR processor like Photomatix or Oloneo FIRST and only THEN stitch
the mapped files.

As you already realized: "it's not the purpose of PTP".

Oloneo or PM do the "play with 32bit" for you already - you just need to tell them what you like to achieve. As results you get
TIFFs PSB or whatever.

Klaus

no avatar
Morgan

Topic author
Info

by Morgan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks Klaus,

I think I was not clear as the HDR topic was not the main topic of my question, that's why part of my text might be confusing about HDR expectation. Usually, we do 2 workflows : the one you propose and the one where we render in AGP stack by stack and after go through PM or Oloneo. The first workflow as you said is much simpler as the Oloneo doesn't accept too big files and process each stack pictures before stitching is the simplest way as you recommend.

Thanks for your comment and advice.

Morgan

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Morgan wrote:Thanks Klaus,
I think I was not clear as the HDR topic was not the main topic of my question,

Hey Morgan!

Yes - i realized that. But dealing with it seems to be a part of your issue nevertheless ;)

Klaus