URL link error when opening local file  

This forum is fully dedicated to Panotour / Panotour Pro bug reports as well as feature discussion.
no avatar
bretfrk

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

URL link error when opening local file

by bretfrk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:39 pm

In previous versions of PanoTour, there was the ability to open a file with a point or polygon. That feature seems to have gone away in newer versions - is there another way to open a file?

I am trying to open the local file (a video file) linked with a URL address on a map using a polygon. The reason for opening the video file in the browser, or other program from the tour, is so that I can pause and rewind.

The typical file path would be: file:///c:/..........

I enter this in the website URL address bar on the toolbar, however, when I view the tour, it leaves out the : after file, rendering the link useless. When I change the address in the browser, manually inserting the missing : it works fine.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: URL link error when opening local file

by mediavets » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:51 pm

bretfrk wrote:In previous versions of PanoTour, there was the ability to open a file with a point or polygon. That feature seems to have gone away in newer versions - is there another way to open a file?

I am trying to open the local file (a video file) linked with a URL address on a map using a polygon. The reason for opening the video file in the browser, or other program from the tour, is so that I can pause and rewind.

The typical file path would be: file:///c:/..........

I enter this in the website URL address bar on the toolbar, however, when I view the tour, it leaves out the : after file, rendering the link useless. When I change the address in the browser, manually inserting the missing : it works fine.

I think you could/should use a relative URL?

Anyway, why not use a Web video box linked to your map spot?

no avatar
bretfrk

Topic author
Info

by bretfrk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:03 pm

The open file can use a more powerful viewer that we can use to pause, scroll the video clip, etc - something the open video file point (no pause) or video polygon cannot do.

I am hosting this in a courtroom with no internet, so everything has to be housed locally. On older versions, the open file worked great.

I was able to use the video spot and enact the pause button as a partial fix, but have to create multiple pages (instead of a pop up like before) to open each of the 4 videos that are on one page. Still no scroll button.

I am not familiar with relative URL's but will look into that.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:08 pm

bretfrk wrote:The open file can use a more powerful viewer that we can use to pause, scroll the video clip, etc - something the open video file point (no pause) or video polygon cannot do.

I am hosting this in a courtroom with no internet, so everything has to be housed locally. On older versions, the open file worked great.

I was able to use the video spot and enact the pause button as a partial fix, but have to create multiple pages (instead of a pop up like before) to open each of the 4 videos that are on one page. Still no scroll button.

I am not familiar with relative URL's but will look into that.

Which 'more powerful' viewer are you using and how do you load it and determine which video file it will display?

Does the video player open in a new browser window or it displayed 'on top' of/within the tour?

You could - I think - use Web site box viewers to display your video player via relative URLs.

How do you plan to handle local/offline display of the tour? With an offline web server or Panotour Viewer?

no avatar
bretfrk

Topic author
Info

by bretfrk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Let me clarify - V2.X does not allow one to open a file in a different program - that functionality was removed in this version. Everything is browser based now.

Previously, when I used v1.8, you could open any file and it would open whatever file in the default program that you define in windows as the default file type viewer.

In V2, since you can not open a file, I used the URL to open a file in the browser, with a path of file:///C:/...... it should open in a new window of the browser. When I enter the URL file:///C:.... is should open. Panotour for whatever reason, when exported, does not translate the full path leaving out the : after file, rendering the path useless.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:56 pm

bretfrk wrote:Let me clarify - V2.X does not allow one to open a file in a different program - that functionality was removed in this version. Everything is browser based now.

Previously, when I used v1.8, you could open any file and it would open whatever file in the default program that you define in windows as the default file type viewer.

In V2, since you can not open a file, I used the URL to open a file in the browser, with a path of file:///C:/...... it should open in a new window of the browser. When I enter the URL file:///C:.... is should open. Panotour for whatever reason, when exported, does not translate the full path leaving out the : after file, rendering the path useless.

I think this may help you?:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=22893&hilit=relative+url

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:25 am

did you already try to edit the resulting xml files, correct the url, and / or set it in quotation marks?

I had a similar problem, where the url contained commas. And flash interpreted the commas as syntax, not as part of the url.

greetings from germany
Chris

no avatar
bretfrk

Topic author
Info

by bretfrk » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks Chris - I have not tried editing the XML files. I am not that advanced in my programming skills. I am trying to see if it is a bug, and alert them, or if there was something I was doing wrong.

Which XML files did you edit.

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:25 pm

it is the mytour.xml

mfg Chris