Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:11 pm 

Dear all,

I've got a series of works that require panoramic imaging + focus stacking. I need to find a suitable workflow (software wise) for them.
- I would really appreciate some suggestions about how to approach this kind of workflow.

This is what i've already tried:

Solution A: Autopano + Ptgui + Zerene Stacker // By order

1. Load photos into Autopano (stitch them and export to panotools)
2. Load exported panotools file in Ptgui
3. On the create panorama tab, render X panoramas with its focus plane, this means that we will have for example 5 panoramas of the same object, each containing its focus plane for further merging.
4. Merge panoramas on Zerene Stacker (Helicon focus cannot take huge panoramas)
5. Results on Zerene Stacker with Contrast method are not very pleasing... they've got some artifacts with triangular shapes which require heavy postprocessing.

Solution B: Helicon Focus + Ptgui // ""

1. Focus stack the whole depth in each individual image of the panorama before stitching the panorama
2. Load images onto Helicon Focus, detect piles of images and merge.
3. Actually batch processing in Helicon Focus is broken according to their forums, so this workflow is useless without batch processing, it would take too much time. (I havent tried CombineZ yet)
4. Stitch each fully-focused image in Ptgui
5. Render

Solution C: Autopano + Ptgui + enfuse // ""

1. Stitch everything in Autopano, export to Ptgui
2. Open in ptgui
3. Configure enfuse plugin in plugins menu (path)
4. Copy this simple command line for focus stacking according to enfuse's documentation:
--exposure-weight=0 \
--saturation-weight=0 \
--contrast-weight=1 \
--hard-mask \
5. Go to create panorama and select blend using enblend.
6. Process starts but ends up reporting an error:

no memory
cannot allocate these images..
Im using windows 7 64 bits 16gb ram and enfuse 64 bits.

7. I could load each stitched panorama with its focal plane into enfuse GUI, i havent tried this yet, but i read on some forums that it doesnt work as good as focus-stacking dedicated softwares.

Any thoughts, ideas or new methods for this ?
Thank you for your time,

Manuel Franquelo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:17 pm 

MFranquelo wrote:
Dear all,

I've got a series of works that require panoramic imaging + focus stacking.

What and why?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:20 pm 

MFranquelo wrote:
Dear all,

I've got a series of works that require panoramic imaging + focus stacking. I need to find a suitable workflow (software wise) for them.
- I would really appreciate some suggestions about how to approach this kind of workflow.

This is what i've already tried:

Solution A: Autopano + Ptgui + Zerene Stacker // By order

1. Load photos into Autopano (stitch them and export to panotools)
2. Load exported panotools file in Ptgui
3. On the create panorama tab, render X panoramas with its focus plane, this means that we will have for example 5 panoramas of the same object, each containing its focus plane for further merging.
4. Merge panoramas on Zerene Stacker (Helicon focus cannot take huge panoramas)
5. Results on Zerene Stacker with Contrast method are not very pleasing... they've got some artifacts with triangular shapes which require heavy postprocessing.

Solution B: Helicon Focus + Ptgui // ""

1. Focus stack the whole depth in each individual image of the panorama before stitching the panorama
2. Load images onto Helicon Focus, detect piles of images and merge.
3. Actually batch processing in Helicon Focus is broken according to their forums, so this workflow is useless without batch processing, it would take too much time. (I havent tried CombineZ yet)
4. Stitch each fully-focused image in Ptgui
5. Render

Solution C: Autopano + Ptgui + enfuse // ""

1. Stitch everything in Autopano, export to Ptgui
2. Open in ptgui
3. Configure enfuse plugin in plugins menu (path)
4. Copy this simple command line for focus stacking according to enfuse's documentation:
--exposure-weight=0 \
--saturation-weight=0 \
--contrast-weight=1 \
--hard-mask \
5. Go to create panorama and select blend using enblend.
6. Process starts but ends up reporting an error:

no memory
cannot allocate these images..
Im using windows 7 64 bits 16gb ram and enfuse 64 bits.

7. I could load each stitched panorama with its focal plane into enfuse GUI, i havent tried this yet, but i read on some forums that it doesnt work as good as focus-stacking dedicated softwares.

Any thoughts, ideas or new methods for this ?
Thank you for your time,

Manuel Franquelo.

Hi Manuel!

You workflow seems somewhat (very ;) ) confuse to me.

My suggestion:

use focus-stacking FIRST - and then stitch the already focus-stacked images.

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:32 pm 

mediavets - I need to obtain a file so its size at 100% represents real life (1:1 magnification) when printed at 300 ppi
The objects that i am aiming to capture measure like 2 x 2 meters still life objects with 50 cm of depth). This requires panoramic stitching and focus stacking.

klausesser - Which part of the workflow seems to be confusing to you ? I am describing different methods for this approach, not the one i am using. I need to know which of them may be the best approach. What you suggest is my option "B", i am sorry if i havent been clear =(

As i said, Helicon focus cannot do batch processing so what you suggest has been difficult for me, since i have many images. 60 images per panorama and 5 depths. I cannot rely on manually doing it in Helicon focus. Do you know any other software for focus stacking with a working batch processing system?

Manuel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:35 pm 

MFranquelo wrote:
mediavets - I need to obtain a file so its size at 100% represents real life (1:1 magnification) when printed at 300 ppi
The objects that i am aiming to capture measure like 2 x 2 meters still life objects with 50 cm of depth). This requires panoramic stitching and focus stacking.

Manuel.

What camera and lens are you proposing to use?

I would have thought it may be possible to get a 50cm DOF files without focus stacking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:46 pm 

Nikon d600 230mm lens at 3 meter distance for the current object/scene, DOF is shallow (around 10 cm, can´t remember exactly). I've programmed my own DOF calculator just for fun :)
For other objects depth might be bigger than 50cm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:09 pm 

MFranquelo wrote:

klausesser - Which part of the workflow seems to be confusing to you ? I am describing different methods for this approach, not the one i am using. I need to know which of them may be the best approach. What you suggest is my option "B", i am sorry if i havent been clear =(

As i said, Helicon focus cannot do batch processing so what you suggest has been difficult for me, since i have many images. 60 images per panorama and 5 depths. I cannot rely on manually doing it in Helicon focus. Do you know any other software for focus stacking with a working batch processing system?

Manuel.

Maybe other stackers can handle bigger amounts of files? But afaik Helicon Focus very well can do batch-processing:
http://www.heliconsoft.com/forum/viewto ... =10&t=2973

Zerene seems to need scripting for batch-processing. http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/docs/batchapi

Did you check Photo Acute? http://photoacute.com/studio/

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:16 pm 

I will try Photoacute, thanks!,
Helicon Focus does have batch processing, but it doesnt work since it runs the process without aligning the images, this bug is known but they havent fixed it yet (they will on the next version)

Manuel.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:16 am 

MFranquelo wrote:
Nikon d600 230mm lens at 3 meter distance for the current object/scene, DOF is shallow (around 10 cm, can´t remember exactly). I've programmed my own DOF calculator just for fun :)
For other objects depth might be bigger than 50cm.

What is the smallest diafragma this lens can be set at?
When using f64 you should get a dof of 1.89 ft, that is close to your 50 cm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:03 pm 
Administrator

Why not using directly zerene stacker as a plugin in autopano ? It is a direct workflow. http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... PROCESSING
I don't see why ptgui is involved ( either use autopano or ptgui, but not both ... )