Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
marzipano
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: Richmond London UK

Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by marzipano » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:02 pm

I have a number of 360 panoramas I would be keen to put onto a public website that would be available for my friends and colleagues (and anyone else) to view just using a browser (that is without the need to download any special software or the images themselves)

What sites can anyone recommend that allow the display of panoramas with the criteria:

1. Cylindrical format (that is 360 * less than 180)
2. Uploaded as jpg files
3. Auto rotation
4. Display at original resolution
5. Free to use or just a small fee

I think the need to have standard utility software installed locally like Flash Player or Java would be OK

The nearest I have found so far is Dermandar but the resolution seems to be severely reduced and it is set up for equirectangular images I think (360*180)

Any suggestions ?

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7859
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by klausesser » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:19 pm

marzipano wrote:Any suggestions ?



Yes - get yourself a webspace. Something like Server4You - about 9.-€ a month for 400GB webspace including an ip-adress.
http://www.server4you.net/vserver/

best, Klaus

PS: i use it also for three sites. http://www.360impressions.de/AuswAlle.html
PS2: also streaming video and music: http://360impressions.de/ZuerichBar.html

no avatar
marzipano
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: Richmond London UK

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by marzipano » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:38 pm

klausesser wrote:
marzipano wrote:Any suggestions ?



Yes - get yourself a webspace. Something like Server4You - about 9.-€ a month for 400GB webspace including an ip-adress.
http://www.server4you.net/vserver/

best, Klaus

PS: i use it also for three sites. http://www.360impressions.de/AuswAlle.html
PS2: also streaming video and music: http://360impressions.de/ZuerichBar.html


I had a premonition you were going to say that klaus ;)

best,
Martin

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7859
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by klausesser » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:37 pm

marzipano wrote:
klausesser wrote:
marzipano wrote:Any suggestions ?



Yes - get yourself a webspace. Something like Server4You - about 9.-€ a month for 400GB webspace including an ip-adress.
http://www.server4you.net/vserver/

best, Klaus

PS: i use it also for three sites. http://www.360impressions.de/AuswAlle.html
PS2: also streaming video and music: http://360impressions.de/ZuerichBar.html


I had a premonition you were going to say that klaus ;)

best,
Martin


=D it´s quite logic, isn´t it . . :cool:

best, Klaus

no avatar
marzipano
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: Richmond London UK

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by marzipano » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:27 pm

I have access to web space already via my ISP contract

The problem I have is that I have cylindrical 360 panoramas which are much narrower than the 360x180 format that most products cater for

I have tried many of them locally and tested them through Firefox and the only one that came close to a reasonable display was pano2vr. This displayed correctly if the "No 3D distortion" box is checked whereas the other ones I looked at do not have this option and display incorrectly (e.g. Google+photospheres, krpano, Epublisher, dermandar) like the incorrect example below. This is very prevalent if the camera was tilted during the shooting of the panorama as in this example

I put this up here just to see if anyone else knows any web display options that both display correctly and provide full 360 degree auto rotation

best
Martin
Attachments
3d.jpg
This is what it displays like if the "no 3D distortion" box is not checked - but it auto rotates properly
no3D.jpg
This is what I think it ought to look like and has the "no 3D distortion" box checked but only rotates backwards and forwards (not revolutions)
controls.jpg
This is the control page showing the box in question

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14167
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by mediavets » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:46 pm

marzipano wrote:I have access to web space already via my ISP contract

The problem I have is that I have cylindrical 360 panoramas which are much narrower than the 360x180 format that most products cater for


What pano projection type are you using when rendering?

What stitching software are you using?

Can we download an example of the sort of panos you are having trouble with?

If you use a Spherical projection type when rendering with APG I can't see why you should have problems displaying with PT/PTP/krpano, so long as you enter the correct HFOV VFOV and vertical offset parameters, which are to be found in the Kolor EXIF tag,

no avatar
marzipano
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: Richmond London UK

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by marzipano » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:18 pm

mediavets wrote:
marzipano wrote:I have access to web space already via my ISP contract

The problem I have is that I have cylindrical 360 panoramas which are much narrower than the 360x180 format that most products cater for


What pano projection type are you using when rendering?

What stitching software are you using?

Can we download an example of the sort of panos you are having trouble with?

If you use a Spherical projection type when rendering with APG I can't see why you should have problems displaying with PT/PTP/krpano, so long as you enter the correct HFOV VFOV and vertical offset parameters, which are to be found in the Kolor EXIF tag,


1. I have tried cylindrical and spherical rendering
2. I use APG latest version

cylindrical:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t48d4vh5qu9v5sn/Richmond%20hill%20.jpg

Spherical
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r35h2y2nymc4eil/Richmond%20Hill%20spherical.jpg

I can get these to display locally on my hard drive perfectly well using the download exe "wpanorama"

I cannot find anything as yet that will display them properly on the web with the criteria being:

full screen
full res (preferably)
full 360 auto rotation
straight horizon

best
Martin

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14167
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by mediavets » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:03 pm

These are two fullscreen screenshot from a virtual 'tour' (one pano) created with Panotout Pro V 2.1 using the spherical projection example you offered for download; one at full resolution. Horizon looks good to me, and it will autorotate a full 360.

What do you think?
Attachments
2-ptp21-richmondhill-02.jpg
1-ptp21-richmondhill-01.jpg

no avatar
marzipano
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: Richmond London UK

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by marzipano » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 am

mediavets wrote:These are two fullscreen screenshot from a virtual 'tour' (one pano) created with Panotout Pro V 2.1 using the spherical projection example you offered for download; one at full resolution. Horizon looks good to me, and it will autorotate a full 360.

What do you think?


Thanks v much for that info -

That sounds just right !

I haven't tested that product yet so I will give it a go right now

(I hadn't realised that was what Panotour was for !!!)

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14167
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by mediavets » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:53 am

marzipano wrote:
mediavets wrote:These are two fullscreen screenshot from a virtual 'tour' (one pano) created with Panotout Pro V 2.1 using the spherical projection example you offered for download; one at full resolution. Horizon looks good to me, and it will autorotate a full 360.

What do you think?


Thanks v much for that info -

That sounds just right !

I haven't tested that product yet so I will give it a go right now

(I hadn't realised that was what Panotour was for !!!)

Make sure you check that PTP reads the Kolor EXIF data for Input HFOV, VFOV and vertical offset; enter manually if necessary.

Use panos rendered with a Spherical projection; PTP doesn't support Cylindical projection.
Attachments
1-ptp2-richmondhill-exif-panofov.jpg
2-ptp2-richmondhill-exif-panofov.jpg

no avatar
marzipano
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: Richmond London UK

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by marzipano » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks for those tips (the FOV comments are making a big difference)

One thing - some of my panos generate the error below and I can't seem to find where its coming from

They only seem to come from Panotour (2.1) , Panotour Pro is OK

Anyone seen it before ?

best
Martin
Attachments
err.jpg
error message on some panos in Panotour 2.1

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14167
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by mediavets » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Yes, it has been seen and reported before - as I recall it normally means just what it says.

Do you have a hotspot that is not associated with a hotspot style?

no avatar
marzipano
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: Richmond London UK

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by marzipano » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:19 pm

I am not (intentionally !) using hotspots at all

I'm just converting panoramas straight out of APG/Photoshop/paint

I'll take another look around based on that lead

thanks,
Martin

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14167
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by mediavets » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:45 pm

marzipano wrote:I am not (intentionally !) using hotspots at all

I'm just converting panoramas straight out of APG/Photoshop/paint

I'll take another look around based on that lead

thanks,
Martin


D you get this error message every time with Panotour standard edition?

Which version of Panotour and Panotour Pro are you using and on which OS?

no avatar
marzipano
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: Richmond London UK

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by marzipano » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:22 pm

mediavets wrote:
marzipano wrote:I am not (intentionally !) using hotspots at all

I'm just converting panoramas straight out of APG/Photoshop/paint

I'll take another look around based on that lead

thanks,
Martin


D you get this error message every time with Panotour standard edition?

Which version of Panotour and Panotour Pro are you using and on which OS?


I downloaded the new version of Panotour (2.1 Final dated today) and the problem seems to have gone away now so maybe it was just a 2.1RC issue

Anyway - resolved now

Thanks
Martin

no avatar
marzipano
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: Richmond London UK

Re: Best Web site for displaying 360 panoramas

by marzipano » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:41 am

marzipano wrote:
mediavets wrote:
marzipano wrote:I am not (intentionally !) using hotspots at all

I'm just converting panoramas straight out of APG/Photoshop/paint

I'll take another look around based on that lead

thanks,
Martin


D you get this error message every time with Panotour standard edition?

Which version of Panotour and Panotour Pro are you using and on which OS?


I downloaded the new version of Panotour (2.1 Final dated today) and the problem seems to have gone away now so maybe it was just a 2.1RC issue

Anyway - resolved now

Thanks
Martin


FYI - I spotted the pattern as to why a "random" selection of panoramas wouldn't build in Panotour Standard 2.1RC1

It was all the ones that had been Geo-coded with Geosetter to put in the global co-ordinates

Now OK in 2,1 Final anyway !

Martin


Return to Open discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests