Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Ricoh Theta Images
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 am 

Hi...

Does anyone have a set of images captured using the Ricoh Theta camera that can be used for testing... Real pity this camera cost so much.... =(

Destiny..

Post subject: Re: Ricoh Theta Images
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:37 am 

Destiny wrote:
Hi...

Does anyone have a set of images captured using the Ricoh Theta camera that can be used for testing... Real pity this camera cost so much.... =(

Destiny..

Somebody here - Chris - showed results made with the Theta some time ago. Maybe he´ll show them again.

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:29 am 

A big thank you to Chris (Christian Stüben) for these test panos captured using his Ricoh Theta.. The Kolor PTP V2.1 RC template is awesome, making the creation of a Tour very quick. There is a great new feature where PTP auto straightens up the horizon which works very well.. I think this feature needs to be added to the to GoPro type Rigs pano images to assist in the stitching which would help heaps.

The timing on the Ricoh Theta Auto Tour PTP template needs changing from 10 sec to a full rotation..

I think Chris has provided a good mix of locations and provided a good test for the Ricoh Theta.. The only good comment I can state in all honest, would be that this camera is quick to capture a pano.. But perhaps I shold say is ‘quick and nasty’..

There is just too much noise in the images, the ISO must be hugely wrong… In Australia this camera is sold for just over $600 in many retail outlets, that in my opinion is way too much for this quality.. There is always one mob that tries to rip people off and sell a product for way over the recommend price.. $739, oh man!! Even as a social media camera its not good.. I also downloaded the player but the quality is the same..

http://www.destinyvirtualtours.com/PTPV ... Theta.html

I have seen some better quality panos using this camera but I do not know if its the camera settings or the available light at the time..

I really love the idea of this camera but would I pay $600+ for it.. Nope!

Destiny..

Attachments:
RTcamera.jpg
RTcamera.jpg [ 35.74 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am 

Destiny wrote:
A big thank you to Chris (Christian Stüben) for these test panos captured using his Ricoh Theta..

May I see/share them too?

Quote:
I think Chris has provided a good mix of locations and provided a good test for the Ricoh Theta.. The only good comment I can state in all honest, would be that this camera is quick to capture a pano. But perhaps I should say is ‘quick and nasty’..

Would you risk your D800 and Nikon Fisheye to take some of those panos?

Quote:
There is just too much noise in the images, the ISO must be hugely wrong… In Australia this camera is sold for just over $600 in many retail outlets, that in my opinion is way too much for this quality.. There is always one mob that tries to rip people off and sell a product for way over the recommend price.. $739, oh man!! Even as a social media camera its not good.. I also downloaded the player but the quality is the same..

I think it's fine for what I would call 'snapshot' panos, and it allows pano shooting many situations in which it would juyst not be possible to use a DSLR setup.

The pano resolution is such that they will never look great displayed fullscreen on a large monitor, but viewed in a suitably sized 'window' on a web page I think they'd look quite good enough' for many purposes.

And as for the price; well yes it would be nice if it was less, it would be nice if it also shot video, it would be nice if it did auto HDR/exposure fusion. But it's priced at less than a top brand fisheye lens for a DSLR I think?

I would like to have a Theta.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 am 

I would too Andrew but not at that price.. :(

Destiny..

PS.... I think I will wait to check out the results from the Eye Mirror with the GoPro.. And that captures video too for not much more..

D..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:32 am 

Destiny wrote:
I would too Andrew but not at that price.. :(

Destiny..

PS.... I think I will wait to check out the results from the Eye Mirror with the GoPro.. And that captures video too for not much more..

D..

But smaller VFOV, less handy, less robust, no auto-horizon, no remote app for triggering camera, not easily mounted on a pole, etc, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:40 am 

Yes Andrew, its always nice to get the the max FOV or close to it but.. I would take the quality of this Tour over the Ricoh Theta anytime... and remember, it can shoot 360 video too.. This Tour uses the krpano player.. The GoPro can also be used as a normal camera too so this would be much better value.. I have tested most of the 360 mirror lenses a few years ago and none of them came close to this quality..

http://www.eye-mirror.com/cart/index.ph ... nteractive

Destiny..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:55 pm 

Hi Destiny,
did you see my panorama inside a cactus? That´s why i love the Theta. It is already on my wish list. The Theta, not the cactus :p

greetings
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 am 

No Chris... You only sent me these four.. The bird cage, the flowers, bush thicket and the building with the blue alien flying saucer on the nadir.. ;)

I can see a real use for this camera for sure, but the quality for me does not match the high price.. The price of this camera is not cheap however the images are... ;(

I have seen many results using the Ricoh Theta on the internet and some are even worse.. I just feel that this media is struggling to gain acceptance where a camera like this does nothing to suggest its a quality media... To me, anyone buying one is basically suggesting that the quality is acceptable where in my opinion its not..

The camera might perform better in a controlled environment with steady lighting.. I would like to test one out but not for $600+ For that money you can buy some great cameras like this NX300 http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/came ... U-features which can capture HD video and an option to add a 3D lens.. To me, this is good value. I realise that this camera is not a 360 but what I am suggesting a comparison in value for money.. The NX300 is value for money but in my opinion the Ricoh Theta is not..

All the reviews I have read about this camera fall in line with my opinion.. They make reference to the high price but in this review its only $400, in Australia its 50% ++ more.. =(

"Bottom line
Anyone looking to purchase the Ricoh Theta 3D Spherical digital camera will want to consider the cost, image quality, and limited capabilities before jumping in."

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/defa ... 360+camera

Destiny...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:40 pm 

Hi...

Well it seems Kolor is now selling the Ricoh Theta, cheaper than I can get in Australia..

http://www.kolor.com/buy/bundles/one-cl ... re=default

I love the Pole, and I love the little tripod.. I also love the Nadir footprint, the best yet with any one shot system... Its also seems the images can be better than some examples I have seen, I wonder why this is so.. I remember something stated that to get the better image results, the images need to be hosted by Ricoh.. But this pano demo is made by Kolor's APG..

I think I will wait for the HDR version 2... with Video.. =D

If the images quality was a bit better I would want one now, with the cute little tripod and pole.. =D I would like to test one out. .. Chris said that I can get a loaner with Google but I couldn't work out how... :rolleyes:

Destiny..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:16 am 

Well I use the Theta since it came out. I had several emails exchanged with their service regarding the quality of the images. The quality got much better since two firmware updates. They reduced the maximum ASA sensitivity from 1600 to 800. This helped. I rarely use the images right out of the camera. I import the panoramas into Lightroom V and apply some automatic settings. Sometimes I use the de-noise filters form NIK Soft.

The Theta is nice for quick shots. It is fun for the client to see the immediate results on the iPad. Depending on the seize of the panoramas published the quality is not so bad. The panoramas you see on the iPad are smaller (2 MP) than the ones (6,5 MP) you get out of the camera. We had a discussion about the Theta when it came out. I posted a short review and some early samples.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:10 am 

Yes, I think I remember that discussion..

To be honest, most users of the Ricoh Theta would not know how or even want to use plugins that reduce noise.. I checked out some of those plugins and software apps a while back and at that time felt all they really did is soften the images, which created the illusion that noise was being reduced... I guess software improves over time...

I am really busting to see a great One Shot VR Camera come onto the market that actually provides a nice sharp image, HDR and Video with remote control at a realistic price.. I am sure it will come one day..

I had someone a last year send me an email, upset after buying a so called one-shot solution which turned out to be total waist of money he regretted buying.. Its now a door stop.. I was thinking about writing a 101 uses for that DUD unit... Door Stop, Flower Pot, Toilet Brush Holder.... and more...

There are few more units beginning to enter the market, all I can say is buyer be ware.. Pretty photos of a CAD Rendered model can look really impressive but.. in reality they often do not perform as advertised.. I am waiting on a loan for teasing a one shot mirror unit that uses the GoPro, but not so sure that will happen.. The CEO said he will have units in May... So will give it a week and ask again.. Viewing demos on a products own web site is often not a good way of buy something.. You need to check out the results of amateur users to gain the best overview of a new product as well as reviews.... A manufacture often hype up the product for all its worth...

Destiny..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:25 am 

spherorama wrote:
Well I use the Theta since it came out. I had several emails exchanged with their service regarding the quality of the images. The quality got much better since two firmware updates. They reduced the maximum ASA sensitivity from 1600 to 800. This helped. I rarely use the images right out of the camera. I import the panoramas into Lightroom V and apply some automatic settings. Sometimes I use the de-noise filters form NIK Soft.

The Theta is nice for quick shots. It is fun for the client to see the immediate results on the iPad. Depending on the seize of the panoramas published the quality is not so bad. The panoramas you see on the iPad are smaller (2 MP) than the ones (6,5 MP) you get out of the camera. We had a discussion about the Theta when it came out. I posted a short review and some early samples.

Is ASA/ISO sensitivity variable and automatic or can the user control this setting?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:43 am 

mediavets,

unfortunately it is not possible at the moment to change any settings. You can control the exposure using your mobile phone or iPad. I think they just tested the impact of their device. If they see more serious work appear they will likely cooperate more with the professional users, eg. they implemented the function to straighten panoramic pictures with their PC/Mac version of their viewer. You can then save a corrected version of the panorama. This made me think that there is more potential in their little software than we think at the moment.

Attachments:
File comment: This is just as I imagine the Theta interface might look like if they really put some work into it. They could also sell it in the App-Store. I mailed this picture to ricoh some time ago, but never got an answer.
Ricoh-Pro.jpg
Ricoh-Pro.jpg [ 464.69 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:01 pm 

I have a feeling that V2 Camera will be out this year... which will make this V1 look like yuck... Well... I can only hope.. :lol: Hey, at the end of the day, the Ricoh Theta is a good start.. but for me its just that.. A start.. Ricoh needs to put in a lot of improved quality of images before I would say "Yay.. that what I am talking about.."

Destiny...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:13 pm 

Destiny wrote:
I have a feeling that V2 Camera will be out this year... which will make this V1 look like yuck... Well... I can only hope.. :lol: Hey, at the end of the day, the Ricoh Theta is a good start.. but for me its just that.. A start.. Ricoh needs to put in a lot of improved quality of images before I would say "Yay.. that what I am talking about.."

Destiny...

About 30 years ago i saw a guy in New York who had two Nikon F2 atached back to back, each equipped with a fisheye lens.
He did some shots in Carnegie Hall - which wasn´t too bad at all!
http://www.sandydan.com/photo/wide/sphere/sphere1/

here´s another solution :cool: : http://www.airpano.com/files/images_for ... G_1112.jpg
yet another one: http://www.gizmag.com/epfl-develops-360 ... era/17205/

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:21 pm 

klausesser wrote:

The Agnos MrotatorR does it with three rather than four cameras:

http://www.agnos.com/prodotti.htm?v_lin ... 0005-P0509

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:39 pm 

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:

Yes - but AirPano uses it also for video. I never was really impressed by the Agnos stuff in relation to the price.

Airpano most likely had the centerpiece tailored for them. They have L-brackets from Kirk or RRS on their cameras. So the four L-brackets
and the centerpiece most likely are not much more expensive as the 800.-€ Agnos rig for three cameras - but i bet they´re more stable.

Honestly: i don´t like what Agnos makes after having used the QuicklyQTcubic for a week. I then bought a Manfrotto SPH. Less expensive, more
versatile, more reliable and definitely more precise and stable.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:53 pm 

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:

Yes - but AirPano uses it also for video. I never was really impressed by the Agnos stuff in relation to the price.

Airpano most likely had the centerpiece tailored for them. They have L-brackets from Kirk or RRS on their cameras. So the four L-brackets and the centerpiece most likely are not much more expensive as the 800.-€ Agnos rig for three cameras - but i bet they´re more stable.

Uh huh...but the additional cost of another DSLR body and Sigma 8mm fisheye is pretty steep.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:02 pm 

mediavets wrote:

Airpano most likely had the centerpiece tailored for them. They have L-brackets from Kirk or RRS on their cameras. So the four L-brackets and the centerpiece most likely are not much more expensive as the 800.-€ Agnos rig for three cameras - but i bet they´re more stable.

mediavets wrote:
Uh huh...but the additional cost of another DSLR body and Sigma 8mm fisheye is pretty steep.

Right - but i guess you wouldn´t use those lineups not for hobby - would you? :cool:

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:26 am 

It seems that the price for the Ricoh Theta has dropped in price, about $100... Not sure if that was on sale but this is the info I received from a forum member who just both one..

For me.. the price is still too high.. For ease of use and a great nadir footprint, I give this camera 5 stars.. For price I give it 2 stares.. For overall user example pano's I have see.. I give a rating ranging from 3 stars to 1 star...

I am sure that will change with Ricoh Theta V2+

Ricoh Theta will be at the Las Vegas 2014 IVRPA Conference, where you can buy a camera for $349.. Its an improvement, perhaps 3 stars at a stretch.... $249 and its a 4 start price.... anything less than $200... Five stares.. and in all honest, thats the right price for this camera.. I asked my students about the price and they all agreed.. They will never buy one at over $400.. They would rather buy a pano lens attachment for their phone.. For students the Ricoh is a toy for most of them... They love he media but not the price.. All of them said they will wait for the 360 Video option.... which I think will come... in time....

http://lasvegas2014.org/news/ricoh-theta/

Destiny...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:46 am 
Administrator

The theta is quite nice. We did a good comparison here to golden standard VR through DSLR.
http://www.kolor.com/buy/comparison-vir ... _store=eng

Don't forget the button in the tour to which between Ricoh capture and DSLR capture.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:10 pm 

Oh Alex.. "Noise in the image" and you suggest that the Ricoh Theta is hugely better than a DSLR 1 stare to 3... Sorry but I would totally disagree.. I use 100 ISO in doors, and about 360 outdoors max... There is no way that the Ricoh has any comparison with the image output where it come to Noise with a DSLR.. In fact I would say the biggest failing of the Ricoh Theta is the noise of the images, probably caused by a totally wrong ISO option..

Sure, there are a heap of benefits with this camera but I still think its got a long way to go before it captures great quality.. Its true I have never tested this camera but I have seen a lot of image examples..

But by far the biggest issue for me would be price.. Its just too high.. and my opinion is supported my many reviews..

By far the biggest positives with the Ricoh Theta is the Nadir Footprint and the fact it captures a full 360X180 pano.. Ease of use as I have read is also a positive... But thats about it...

Destiny..

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:25 pm 

AlexandreJ wrote:
The theta is quite nice. We did a good comparison here to golden standard VR through DSLR.
http://www.kolor.com/buy/comparison-vir ... _store=eng

Don't forget the button in the tour to which between Ricoh capture and DSLR capture.

I thought the comparison ridiculous.

In one place it suggests the comparison is with a Nikon D800 with a Sigma 8mm fisheye, a very expensive combination that no-one would recommend for shooting panos. But the prices quoted for this combination is far too low. Elsewhere it suggests that the camera might be a D90 but that's an obsolete camera. See screenshots below.

UK prices
Nikon D800 body only £1,999 including VAT.
Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye £618.99 including VAT.
Nodal Ninja R1 with RD5 £371.81 including VAT.
Autopano £118.80 including VAT.
I've not include the cost of a tripod nor Panotour.

The comparison table suggests a a price of 1,320 Euros ex. tax. apparently including a tripod.
How did Kolor compute that price?

Even the most basic DSLR with the lowest cost fisheye (a Samyang 8mm fisheye for example), and the most basic pano head (say, the Panosaurus Mk2) will produce very much greater image quality than the Theta.

Yes, by the time you've factored in APP/ or APG for stitching the cost is considerably more that the theta but the resolution and quality of images is far superior.

For me the key feature of the Theta is that it's a compact one-shot pano camera so can be used in situations where multi-image panos shooting is difficult or impossible, secondly its small size is a real plus where you wish to take panos discretely without drawing attention to yourself.

And as long as you are happy to restrict online display to a relatively small window on a web page and never expect to be able to display panos/tours fullscreen then IMO it's OK/'good enough'.

If you don't need/require the on-shot capability you'll probably be able get as a good results shooting with a smartphone with an add on fisheye lens:

http://fromparis.com/technical/iphone-f ... ramas.html

Attachments:
1-theta-dslr-comparison.jpg
1-theta-dslr-comparison.jpg [ 176.38 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]

Last edited by mediavets on Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:34 pm 
Administrator

Interesting feedbacks.

Depending on the reader, some people found theta is great, other find it ridiculous.
We tried to have the most unbiased comparison between dslr and theta. This was the only aim with that.
* Photographers will probably always choose DSLR as it is the way to go for good quality. Nevertheless, it has a learning curve.
* Real estate agent that just want to show quickly their goods will probably always choose the theta. Because it is easy and cheap.

The comparison was about that, help you to find the right tool for your type of use.