Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:11 am 

hi folks,
I've used Autopano for some "normal" panoramas before without any problems. Now that I have a Fisheye Lens I tried out making 360° spherical panoramas. But every time I try, it stitches the photos (more or less) correctly, but only has a 180° view angle. The both sides are overlapped and somehow Autopano tries to stitch them on top of each other. I don't know what the problem is, every tutorial I watched just gets it right on the first try...

I've attached screenshots to illustrate the problem.
here you see the main window with the single photos loaded and the resulting panorama with default "fisheye" settings: Image

here you see the overlaying images of the 2 half-images:

and here the fact that the images itselves are stitched correctly, but the panorama gets fucked up because it overlays itself with two 180° shots instead of having a width of 360°

thanks for your help in advance, I'm sure it's just a small thing but I dont find the solution, I'm desperate...

and sorry for my bad english, I'm german.

EDIT: sorry for the big images destroying the page layout, I tried putting them in spoilers but the bbcode here doesn't support spoilers apparently..

EDIT 2: maybe useful info, the camera I used was a canon 650D (-> crop sensor) and the lens a sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:20 am 

I notice that Autopano shows your lens as a 24mm fisheye but the shots don't look particularly like a fisheye (mine show a little vignetting in the corners) so maybe just change the settings so it shows as a 24mm standard lens and see how that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:08 am 

scaber wrote:
I notice that Autopano shows your lens as a 24mm fisheye but the shots don't look particularly like a fisheye (mine show a little vignetting in the corners) so maybe just change the settings so it shows as a 24mm standard lens and see how that goes.

He says it was a Sigma 15mm fisheye, on a Canon 650D with 1.6x cop factor that's equiv. to 24mm on a fullframe sensor.

There are any number of peculiarities about this image set.

1. Why would one choose a 15mm fisheye on a cropped sensor body?

2. The images are shot landscape - this suggests he may not be using a proper pano head - in which case there's probably a lot of parallax..

3. It appears to be a single row in which case there may be too many images and too much overlap; 25-30% is enough, more is not better.

4. Apparently shot in Aperture priority with an aperture of f2.8 - that's all wrong.

Last edited by mediavets on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:33 am 

mediavets wrote:

He says it was a Sigma 15mm fisheye, on a Canon 650D with 1.6x cop factor that's equiv. to 24mm on a fullframe sensor.

Yes, it won't be acting like a fisheye lens on that sensor. Even when I used a 10mm lens I didn't select fisheye. Maybe I should go back and find those old images and select the fisheye option to see what results I get.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:41 am 

scaber wrote:
mediavets wrote:

Yes, it won't be acting like a fisheye lens on that sensor. Even when I used a 10mm lens I didn't select fisheye. Maybe I should go back and find those old images and select the fisheye option to see what results I get.

It will...a fisheye is a fisheye...it's just that you won't see so much distortion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 am 

scaber wrote:
mediavets wrote:

The Sigma 15 mm lens is indeed a fisheye with nearly equi-solid angle projection (the most common type of fisheye lenses that are currently available from manufacturers, except Yasuhara and Samyang). The APS-C camera sensor doesn't capture all of the circular image but only the center (thus without much "apparent distortion").

I just simulated the shooting sequence of the OP with a Canon 15 mm fisheye mounted with a NN R1 on an EOS 650D in landscape mode. The lens was set at the NPP for 12 images around (one single horizontal row): Unlike the OP, the shots were taken in manual mode (with constant speed).

The result is consistently perfect in full automatic mode with the newest beta version APG 3.5.2b2.
Yet, I got bad result looking like the OP's with earlier or venerable versions of Kolor's programs (APG 3.0.8 and... APP 2.6.8) even when the correct type of lens (i.e. fisheye) had to be corrected by hand before launching the detection!

This was an unexpected find on my part.

Michel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:41 pm 

Quote:
so maybe just change the settings so it shows as a 24mm standard lens and see how that goes.

i tried that. it gives better results as far as image alignment goes (they are correctly beneath each other) but horrible ghosting at the edges of the single images (probably due to the fisheye distortion)

Quote:

just trying it out. I lent the fisheye from a friend. Maybe he'll sell it to me alongside his 5D markII.

Quote:
2. The images are shot landscape - this suggests he may not be using a proper pano head - in which case there's probably a lot of parallax..
3. It appears to be a single row in which case there may be too many images and too much overlap; 25-30% is enough, more is not better.

yes, I don't have a pano head it was shot with a regular tripod. Nevertheless there shouldn't be problems like these.
and i shot tons of images in different rooms and different orientations (landscape, portrait and diagonal, sometimes more overlap, sometimes less overlap, but I don't get satisfying results with any of these. I will post more examples tomorrow I don't have much time now, sorry.

Quote:
4. Apparently shot in Aperture priority with an aperture of f2.8 - that's all wrong.

also due to just trying out, the shots on the screenshots are just examples I have other pics shot in manual with smaller aperture etc.

Quote:
The result is consistently perfect in full automatic mode with the newest beta version APG 3.5.2b2.
Yet, I got bad result looking like the OP's with earlier or venerable versions of Kolor's programs (APG 3.0.8 and... APP 2.6.8) even when the correct type of lens (i.e. fisheye) had to be corrected by hand before launching the detection!

I'm at 3.0.8 as well, maybe I'll try the beta and see if I get better results with it.

thanks for your help. Like I said, I'll post more examples (and maybe results if I find out something new) tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:52 pm 

user235123 wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I don't have a pano head it was shot with a regular tripod. Nevertheless there shouldn't be problems like these.

You are mistaken.

You are very unlikley to get a decent stitch shooting with wide angle/fisheye lens without the lens/camera being set at the NPP, which is why you need a proper pano head if you wish to shoot 360x180 panos indoors in particular.