Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading time?  

This forum is fully dedicated to Panotour / Panotour Pro bug reports as well as feature discussion.
User avatar
seanji
Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:17 pm
Location: St Martin

Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading time?

by seanji » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:39 am

I am new to PTP2 RC2, am about to create a tour and was wondering if including a large numbers of groups and panoramas will slow down the tour's loading time? I have in mind 5 groups with a total of 33 panos.
Is it better to create more tours with less groups and panos to ensure faster load or doesn't it matter?
Thanks for your advise.

User avatar
benji33
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 2796
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 am
Location: France

Re: Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading t

by benji33 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:44 am

In fact the XML will be bigger if panorama number is bigger, so the download time of xml file is bigger if file is bigger.
For instance a customer use 316 panoramas into it's tour and the load of xml take 8 to 10 seconds (black screen) on a standard ADSL connexion before the display of the player.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14164
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

Re: Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading t

by mediavets » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:06 am

benji33 wrote:In fact the XML will be bigger if panorama number is bigger, so the download time of xml file is bigger if file is bigger.
For instance a customer use 316 panoramas into it's tour and the load of xml take 8 to 10 seconds (black screen) on a standard ADSL connexion before the display of the player.

What performance level would you consider to be offered by a 'standard ADSL connexion'?

User avatar
benji33
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 2796
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 am
Location: France

Re: Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading t

by benji33 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:36 am

Around 3500 Kbps (430 Ko/sec).

Less than 2000Kbps is a very limited connection for tours.

Better ADSL connections are over 8000Kbps

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14164
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

Re: Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading t

by mediavets » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:06 am

benji33 wrote:Around 3500 Kbps (430 Ko/sec).

Less than 2000Kbps is a very limited connection for tours.

Better ADSL connections are over 8000Kbps


But still still not at all uncommon in many rural areas in the UK. I typically get 2000Kbps, or less, here in a village of 2000 population only 20 miles from the tech hotspot of Cambridge with it's world leading University and science parks - nicknamed 'Silicon Fen'.

Does France offer better ADSL bandwidth to rural users?
..............

I guess the majority of the world's population would be delighted were they able to get a 2000Kbps ADSL connection to the Net?

User avatar
benji33
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 2796
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 am
Location: France

Re: Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading t

by benji33 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:17 am

No for rural it's about 1000-1500. But It's the low limit to have something "powerfull".

I often slow down my bandwith to 512K or 768k for tests but it's difficult to visualize correctly a VR in these conditions.

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

Re: Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading t

by klausesser » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:47 am

seanji wrote:I am new to PTP2 RC2, am about to create a tour and was wondering if including a large numbers of groups and panoramas will slow down the tour's loading time? I have in mind 5 groups with a total of 33 panos.
Is it better to create more tours with less groups and panos to ensure faster load or doesn't it matter?
Thanks for your advise.


How many "scenes" you have in a tour basically doesn´t affect loading-speed when you use multires (ok - aside from reading the tour.xml on start . . ;) ) It would of course if it would be needed to load down all the content first before you can start.
But because only the parts need to be transmitted which you actually see on-screen it doesn´t matter too much how much scenes you have in the tour.
I tested it via my iPhone`s cell-phone conection - open and view a tour with 34 scenes was the same speed as a mini-tour of 3 scenes.

MUCH influence has the kind of compression you use in PTP. I use JPG 7 for having a good compromise of data-size and speed versus quality. 9 or 10 makes some difference - but it´s a hardly visible improvement and produces much more data to transmit . .

best, Klaus

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14164
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

Re: Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading t

by mediavets » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:57 am

klausesser wrote:How many "scenes" you have in a tour basically doesn´t affect loading-speed when you use multires (ok - aside from reading the tour.xml on start . . ;) ) It would of course if it would be needed to load down all the content first before you can start.
But because only the parts need to be transmitted which you actually see on-screen it doesn´t matter too much how much scenes you have in the tour.
I tested it via my iPhone`s cell-phone conection - open and view a tour with 34 scenes was the same speed as a mini-tour of 3 scenes.

MUCH influence has the kind of compression you use in PTP. I use JPG 7 for having a good compromise of data-size and speed versus quality. 9 or 10 makes some difference - but it´s a hardly visible improvement and produces much more data to transmit . .

best, Klaus


Use of video and audio content can have a major impact.

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

Re: Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading t

by klausesser » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:16 pm

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:How many "scenes" you have in a tour basically doesn´t affect loading-speed when you use multires (ok - aside from reading the tour.xml on start . . ;) ) It would of course if it would be needed to load down all the content first before you can start.
But because only the parts need to be transmitted which you actually see on-screen it doesn´t matter too much how much scenes you have in the tour.
I tested it via my iPhone`s cell-phone conection - open and view a tour with 34 scenes was the same speed as a mini-tour of 3 scenes.

MUCH influence has the kind of compression you use in PTP. I use JPG 7 for having a good compromise of data-size and speed versus quality. 9 or 10 makes some difference - but it´s a hardly visible improvement and produces much more data to transmit . .

best, Klaus


Use of video and audio content can have a major impact.


Of course - that´s another case.

Klaus

User avatar
benji33
Kolor Team
 
Posts: 2796
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 am
Location: France

Re: Do large numbers of groups/panoramas slow down loading t

by benji33 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Yes mp3 preload must be check to avoid "blocking" tiles download on startup.


Return to Panotour bugs & discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests