Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:37 pm 

Sorry to ask basic questions, I've searched the form and looked in the help index but I can't find anything on how this feature works.

I'm putting a rendered image into a series of background shots, I haven't perfected my workflow in 3ds Max to let me do accurate panoramic renders so I'm having to composite individual frames and stitch the final result. The problem is that it's stitching the composited images differently to the base plates so I can't flick cleanly between a before and after shot without the image jumping.

I assume this is what templates are for? to map the distortion of one image and re-apply it to another. I can save out the base panorama as a template but I don't know how to apply it to the next set of composited images, could anyone give me a pointer please?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 pm 

Loofer wrote:
Sorry to ask basic questions, I've searched the form and looked in the help index but I can't find anything on how this feature works.

I'm putting a rendered image into a series of background shots, I haven't perfected my workflow in 3ds Max to let me do accurate panoramic renders so I'm having to composite individual frames and stitch the final result. The problem is that it's stitching the composited images differently to the base plates so I can't flick cleanly between a before and after shot without the image jumping.

I assume this is what templates are for? to map the distortion of one image and re-apply it to another. I can save out the base panorama as a template but I don't know how to apply it to the next set of composited images, could anyone give me a pointer please?

APG templates may not do what you want.

You may need to look into using PTGui with templates.

Anyway - to create a template get a really good stitch then Save as a template...

Then with different image set you can locate a apply the template - see screenshot.

Attachments:
1-apg308-template.jpg
1-apg308-template.jpg [ 127.17 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]
2-apg308-template.jpg
2-apg308-template.jpg [ 141.5 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:04 pm 

Thanks Mediavets, I have tried this and you're right, it's not working, the two images are still different. If templates don't lock the distortion in then what is it they actually do?

Interestingly I've noticed when I stitch the original pics then open and save each pic in photoshop as a jpeg and stitch again, the result is different. Obviously the saving process is affecting some aspect of the picture.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:14 pm 

Loofer wrote:
Thanks Mediavets, I have tried this and you're right, it's not working, the two images are still different. If templates don't lock the distortion in then what is it they actually do?

They are used to assist the control point detection system.

Normally APP/APG has no 'knowledge' of the relative positions of the images, it just looks for matching points between each and every image.

As I understand it the template provides APP/APG with a 'knowledge' the relative positioning of the images and restricts the detection system to looking for matching points between adjacent images. But it still looks for CPs and applies the optimiser which may relocate images form their template locations.

PTGui's templates work differently I belive and can be used to stitch panos based solely on the positioning data in the template. You need a pano head that is very precise for this to work reliably with different images sets. Most are not sufficiently precise.

Quote:
Interestingly I've noticed when I stitch the original pics then open and save each pic in photoshop as a jpeg and stitch again, the result is different. Obviously the saving process is affecting some aspect of the picture.

The control point detection system used by APP/APG is very 'sensitive', even small differences in images will result in a different stitch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:33 pm 

It's all a bit worrying, I'm trying to do certified photo montages for planning submissions and was under the impression that dedicated panoramic software would give nice consistent results but if anything it's just giving me more sources of confusion :(

Thanks for the feedback though, I'll look into PTgui, a pano head was used but I think it was a bottom end of the market job so I may not have much luck there either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:16 pm 

Had a play around with PTIgui and it's worked perfectly! thanks again for the advice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:58 pm 

Hi,
I'm a older PtGui User, and very satisfied with APP...but this option to save or apply a template as Loofer say will be really great.
For some case, I like to go deeper with my post process in photoshop, and use differents layers (same pano stiched perfectly in the same way). one day way be in the version 3.6?