Content aware fill  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
miska

Content aware fill

by miska » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:41 am

Hi,

One thing which would be really useful, is a way to fill the black areas of a pano, originating from a missing picture. I'm sure you know the effect: you shoot something, and because of the projection or not 100% horizontal shooting, you are missing a piece of the blue sky. Or in a spherical pano, you forgot to shoot the zenith or nadir (because, well, they were quite uninteresting). So a boring piece of the Pano is missing, but you still need it to complete the picture.
Now, I solve this with Photoshop, and a clone stamp or it's almost magic "content aware fill". It's really powerful. But why not implement this directly into Autopano ? Would be really nice ! Some sort of automatic content aware fill for the missing regions.

Of course, this may create problems in Gigapanos. I suspect this operation would be quite CPU / Memory intensive. But perhaps there is a way ? Or perhaps Kolor should not reject some methods because they don't work in Giga - there are still lots of people out there doing Panos with 3-10 pictures...

no avatar
klausesser

Re: Content aware fill

by klausesser » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:34 pm

miska wrote:Hi,

One thing which would be really useful, is a way to fill the black areas of a pano, originating from a missing picture. I'm sure you know the effect: you shoot something, and because of the projection or not 100% horizontal shooting, you are missing a piece of the blue sky. Or in a spherical pano, you forgot to shoot the zenith or nadir (because, well, they were quite uninteresting). So a boring piece of the Pano is missing, but you still need it to complete the picture.
Now, I solve this with Photoshop, and a clone stamp or it's almost magic "content aware fill". It's really powerful. But why not implement this directly into Autopano ? Would be really nice ! Some sort of automatic content aware fill for the missing regions.

Of course, this may create problems in Gigapanos. I suspect this operation would be quite CPU / Memory intensive. But perhaps there is a way ? Or perhaps Kolor should not reject some methods because they don't work in Giga - there are still lots of people out there doing Panos with 3-10 pictures...

Photoshop is a pixel-based application: a dedicated image-editor . . and uses different strategies. APG is not a dedicated image-editor. Besides i guess Kolor would need to pay for the feature - IF Adobe would license it at all.

I prefer to have a clear seperation of tools for stitching and image-editing. No single tool can combine it all in excellent quality. *If* there were such an allrounder: i guess it would be hardly
possible to get grip to all the features for being able to handle them equally well . .

best, Klaus

no avatar
miska

by miska » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:42 pm

I guess it depends who the target audience of Autopano is. If it's hard-core panorama experts, they will have Photoshop, and it doesn't matter where the feature is (and they may not screw up by forgetting to take the right picture).

If it's casual users, they may not have PS, and then this tool becomes very important, since it allows you to save a panorama which would have otherwise been unusable, because you screwed up when taking the pictures.

On the licensing issue: I am sure there are ways to create a similar feature without infringing on Adobe patents. It's just decomposing the image on a basis (like wavelets, pyramids or something else appropriate) and extrapolating on that basis - generating the missing pieces with a random number generator. I'm not saying it's easy, but I think it's possible. I even imagine it could be a special version of the blender.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:16 pm

miska wrote:On the licensing issue: I am sure there are ways to create a similar feature without infringing on Adobe patents.

I don´t know any other app which provides this feature also!

But - who knows . . =D

best, Klaus

no avatar
miska

by miska » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12 am

This looks quite similar:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20983
I have no experience with this so it may not work as well as content aware fill.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Note: if you export in a format that does support alpha transparency, then, reopen it in PS and do it works quite well in low res. I tried on a 1 gigapixel and PS doesn't fullfilled the request :)

no avatar
slipstick

by slipstick » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:12 pm

klausesser wrote:
miska wrote:On the licensing issue: I am sure there are ways to create a similar feature without infringing on Adobe patents.

I don´t know any other app which provides this feature also!

But - who knows . . =D

best, Klaus

The GIMP does it via plugins. "Heal Selection". It would be helpful for some nadirs (e.g., grass, sand, asphalt).

DrSlony

by DrSlony » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Return to Autopano future