Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: eye mirror
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:48 am 

No price yet since its still being developed but interesting.. The quality is not too bad under the ocean.. If cheap enough they might do ok for social media stuff.. I think a good use for the GoPro since that camera produces very good results.. I would expect a lot cheaper than buying 6 of them to use with the Freedom 360 rig. The FOV is very limited though..

I tested out most of the One-Shot Lens about 5 years ago. Most were not that great.. It remains to be seen how this one will pan out..

Destiny..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953 ... y_launched

http://www.eye-mirror.com/desktopViewer.html

Post subject: Re: eye mirror
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:51 pm 

Destiny wrote:
No price yet since its still being developed but interesting.. The quality is not too bad under the ocean.. If cheap enough they might do ok for social media stuff.. I think a good use for the GoPro since that camera produces very good results.. I would expect a lot cheaper than buying 6 of them to use with the Freedom 360 rig. The FOV is very limited though..

I tested out most of the One-Shot Lens about 5 years ago. Most were not that great.. It remains to be seen how this one will pan out..

Destiny..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953 ... y_launched

http://www.eye-mirror.com/desktopViewer.html

... if you read the Homepage in Detail you get the info that the Image Quality is 11MP per 360 pano Video.
therefore you need a special adopted lens for the gopro black3+.
They offer such an all in one package on their backers page for 906$

so if you do Action Videos for your ego for YouTube etc. than this is a easy all in one package for less Money and in Special for less postproduction effort.

but I doubt that 11MP for a complete pano will be a satisfying joy...

and if you look at the waterproof lens I think you Need 10kg addon wheigts on your hips to descend in water (waterproof tube containing mirror contains air...) ;-))

PS: and the Videos from your second link.... =(

Georg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:39 am 

To me the mirror seems its going backwards, same old technology as a few years ago... The plastic or glass housing would reflect a lot of other stuff, you can see that in one of the videos.. Not so sure how that vacuum would work in deep water.. We have been diving and stroked turtles too at the Great Barrier Reef.. I think I would have issues in holding onto something filled with air.. I personally will wait for some real new technology.. The FOV is very limited with this unit. To me it seems a bit risky to invest into something thats all ready been done and in the most part failed to take off in any large numbers. We bought the 0-360 Mirror lens for a school I was working at, where we used a Canon G3. It was a gimmick to be honest.. The quality of the panos was very limited but ok'ish for what we used it for and it has a big hole in the nadir capture a doughnut image. We took it to Dream World where it attached a heap of attention. John and me made up this 360 Tour a long time ago... Our very first virtual tours.

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/Magic ... _0360.html

For me, there is no real camera/lens option for capturing a 360 in one hit that provides a really excellent results. But this gear is mostly designed for social media so for this purpose they are quite good.. But at the moment there is nothing I would recommend.. I am sure however that in time there will be come kind of unit that will do a good job.. Its just a matter of time..

Destiny...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 am 

Destiny wrote:
For me, there is no real camera/lens option for capturing a 360 in one hit that provides a really excellent results.
Destiny...

Multiple DSLRs with fisheyes will produce a good 'one-shot' pano.

Using a rig like this:

http://www.agnos.com/prodotti.htm?v_lin ... 0005-P0509

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:02 am 

Well, I was truly impressed with the demo panos.. Very nice.. I then download one of the pano images etc and failed to produce the same results in APG.. It just would not happen. PTGUi was ok after a bit of tweaking. The principal is very interesting.. Much cheaper than the GoPro with frame setup.. and the cameras would have much more use. Horrible thought to set up the NNP.. ;(((

Destiny.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:11 am 

Destiny wrote:
Well, I was truly impressed with the demo panos.. Very nice.. I then download one of the pano images etc and failed to produce the same results in APG.. It just would not happen. PTGUi was ok after a bit of tweaking.

I've stitched all those demo image sets using APP/APG in the past. Yes, overlaps are small and it may require some CP editing but it's 'doable' - or at least it was with versions prior to 3.x, not tried with that.

Quote:
The principal is very interesting.. Much cheaper than the GoPro with frame setup.. and the cameras would have much more use.

Originally designed - by Luca Vascon - around the Nikon D70 back in the day.

Cost depends which DSLRs you chose but requires three APS-C/DX DSLRs and Sigma 8mm f3.5 fisheye lenses, so not cheap.

Quote:
Horrible thought to set up the NNP.. ;(((

Destiny.

Camera mounting is preset by the design of the mount/head. In fact the camera/lenses are not at NPP - but it works.

But it's going to be a heavy assembly, the panohead itself is made of heavy gauge steel; and imagine that mass on top of a pole, there's an example shot from a pole in a gondola on the Grand Canal..

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:14 am 

Its all very interesting.. I would like to test out APG 3.5 with same images.... ;)

Destiny...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:50 pm 

mediavets wrote:
Multiple DSLRs with fisheyes will produce a good 'one-shot' pano.

Muiltiple cameras is and will be the best way for shooting a pano in excellent quality with ONE release.
That´s nothing but obvious due to also obvious technical aspects.

All other solutions are more or less mediocre compromises.

The GoPro rig in my eyes shows the best compromise of cost/effect relation. In the end the limit is open: the better the cameras become the better the
results will be. Using multiple cameras in a rig is flexible - you at least can keep on using the rig when you upgrade to better cameras . . :cool:

Imagine a perfectly adjusted rig of 4-5 D800 with 16mm fisheyes . . . or a rig of 4-5 5D3 with 15mm fisheyes for 360 video shooting RAW-video and providing VERY excellent video data.

Nobody should expect to get excellent quality for small costs. It´s like everywhere else: either small costs or excellent quality . . :cool: Never both at the same time.

Klaus