Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:07 pm 

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/9786486758/hands-on-with-the-panono-ball-camera?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

(Via DPReview)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:20 pm 

SimDC wrote:

Nice tool/gimmick for a number of situations, a good way to solve the nadir problem that many devices suffer from and a nice and quick way to make a 360*180.
A bit expensive but I guess when in a market with people and objects moving or where time is more important then quality it is worth the investment. Parties and maybe real-estate come to mind. However for real estate I would like to see a bit better quality.

Would be nice to see a 1000 dollar version that can create panoramas that are over 10000*5000 pixels.

Would love to see an device that can be placed on a tripod and lance (and catch) the ball (again), which can be triggered remotely.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:55 pm 

Would be fine under a N-copter with a rope,
or ... a fishing rod !
Sky is easy to repair.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:00 pm 

SimDC wrote:
Would be fine under a N-copter with a rope,
or ... a fishing rod !
Sky is easy to repair.

sure as it is not to heavy. Just hope they include a strong remote control to trigger it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:27 pm 

That one has been around for a while and been posted here before... There are a few similar innovations, still being developed.. http://petapixel.com/2013/11/07/bublcam ... 60-photos/

I am looking forward to a company making a great one-shot 360 camera able to capture a good quality 360X180 pano image at a realistic price.. Most of the One-Shot solutions to-date produce very poor quality with low rez results or a huge yuck nadir foot print. The 360Heros rig with GoPro cameras would probably produce the best quality but that lot comes at a very hight price..

Destiny...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:54 pm 

Destiny wrote:
I am looking forward to a company making a great one-shot 360 camera able to capture a good quality 360X180 pano image at a realistic price.

What do you think IS a "realistic price"? The GoPro-Rig of 6 cameras definitely is a "realistic" price when you think what IT MEANS shooting a 360x180° image as ONE shot!

Further think about resolution: how do you think you can achieve, let´s say: 25000x12500px in ONE shot? Right: by rigging several cameras equipped with fisheye-lenses.
Another way is to use a parabolic mirror . . and accept a mediocre quality.

In other words: all things come for a price!

You have a very fine camera, capable of providing hires images - why don´t you use it´s capabilities and do some more hires panos? Take a 28mm to get 700mpx panos with 24 shots!
THIS way maybe you can impress potential clients by the richness of details.

Every beginner is able to do fisheye panos of about 10000x5000px . . . nobody gets impressed by that today.

You´re dealing for over a year now with your D800 and your VR2 drive - very fine gear - but i didn´t see results so far which can justify the expense, sorry.

I understand your iMac has issues dealing with bracketed series of the D800´s data-size. Use RAW instead of bracketing! The D800´s RAW is very good - most of the time you
wouldn´t really need bracketing. But what you need to take you further is: resolution, image-details, zoom!

Now, that we have deep-zooming even on tablets . . . that´s what impresses clients very much! The use of tablets grows day by day in all businesses.

Look this one on your tablet or smartphone and zoom in: http://360impressions.de/Klap/

Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:14 pm 

klausesser wrote:
Destiny wrote:
I am looking forward to a company making a great one-shot 360 camera able to capture a good quality 360X180 pano image at a realistic price.

In other words: all things come for a price!

You´re dealing for over a year now with your D800 and your VR2 drive - very fine gear - but i didn´t see results so far which can justify the expense, sorry.

.....Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Although your words might not be friendly for Destiny, they are spot on.

I would like to add that one can see panoramaphotography as a hobby, as an artform or as a business. One's goall will be different in either case. Of cause combining all these goals, enjoying an artform and making a profit is the best thing I guess.

Regarding this ball, i guess I would pay 500 euro for one that gives same quality as fisheye. So 10000*5000 = 50.000.000 pixels/100000 = 500 euro ;-) etc.......

A ball that can instantly deliver the same quality as you show in your example, wow, that would be worth 10.000 euro easily ;-) The fact that you can read the text on the wall, ultimate sign of quality! Hope to do one like that myself soon, at the moment processing a 1072 photo panorama of a beach ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:33 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:

Hi Klaus,

Although your words might not be friendly for Destiny, they are spot on.

Hey Hans!

I definitely didn´t want to be unfriendly to Destiny. I just take her seriously. Afaik she did not intend to see it as a Hobby, but to build a business from buying stuff for several thousands bucks . . so i just wonder at which point she might have lost track.

HansKeesom wrote:
A ball that can instantly deliver the same quality as you show in your example, wow, that would be worth 10.000 euro easily ;-)

Thanks! ;) :cool:

Regarding the ball: it´s surely nice fun! But think alone off the exposure times when you throw it in the air . . . what do you thing you need to get sharp pictures? =D

No - i guess it´s quite nice for some low-quality video stuff . . . . BUT: who needs lofi video-stuff? You need to find somebone to pay your investment and your efforts!

To whom would you sell lofi video stuff shot with an uncontrolled jumping, bumping ball? I don´t think there are *clients* for that to pay a suffient price.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:18 pm 

Hi Klaus,

As I said, you are spot on.

I know it is very unlikely that any ball will ever make a high quality in a fraction of a second.
But as an gimmick on a wedding, as long as there is enought light, it is a nice extra. And some reall estate people will be interested ;-)

Off course one could use a fishing wire from the ceiling or and electro magnetic force field from the floor to make it float in thin air and allow it to use longer shuttertimes.

On problem with exposure seems to be that each camera appears to be on a sort of Av mode which causes well known problems at overlapping parts.