Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
rolly1

Re: Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800

by rolly1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Destiny your self portrait is very well done was it done using the sigma lens ,The lens is Fairly large isn't it but the results look worth it , I am going to try and add a panogear self portrait so see what happens cheers rolly1
Attachments
panogear self portrait.jpg

no avatar
rolly1

by rolly1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:03 pm

hey it worked can't say the same for smile face but one out of two not bad cheers rolly1

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Destiny wrote:Its seems you are not the only one not to think to do this.. I did a search on the internet with not one single image of this setup.. To me it seems obvious but I guess thats due to the fact I have both of them... I bought my Acratech ball head years go.. Its a beautiful thing.. Very well made.... They make really nice gear.. I would love to own one of their Panoramic Heads, it would work great with my D800 + Sigma 50-500mm. =D http://acratech.net/product.php?product ... t=1&page=1

They call it a "multirow" panoramic head . . . how would that be possible??
Don´t they know how "multirow" work?

best, Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Yes, I used my 50-500mm.. But that shot was one of many.. Most of them I was either out of focus or not in the shot.. I kept pressing the button and running in front of the lens.. I kind of gave up and then the last shot did it..

I really like your pano.. Its the blue and yellow that makes it.... It looks awesome....

I need to practice a lot more.. Each lens has its own unique 'thing'.. I will try to go back to the Big Red Kangaroos a few times to see if I can capture the shot I want.. I also want to capture then jumping in front of my lens... They really do look awesome when a mob of Kangaroos bounce past.. I think the big male could jump over a 4 meter fence... He is huge... I hope they get used to me and allow me to get just a little bit closer... At full zoom quality is lost just a tab.. 450mm down is good... But it depends on what it is.. Full 500mm at f6.3 and its all good... I am still getting used to the lens so I will just test and play with it more...

I managed to capture a waterfall with a silky water look using a slow shutter speed but I do not like the shot.. I want it better... I will post it up later...

Destiny.

rolly1 wrote:Destiny your self portrait is very well done was it done using the sigma lens ,The lens is Fairly large isn't it but the results look worth it , I am going to try and add a panogear self portrait so see what happens cheers rolly1

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:46 pm

This is just about full zoom, but its still not as sharp as I want... It was a very very hazy day which did not help.. I need nice dry day but not too hot or too much heat haze rises from the city, which effects the images.. I want to go to the view point at night...

I will keep trying to get it how I want it.. I think I need a bigger zoom lens.. =D

Destiny....
Attachments
BrisbaneCity.jpg

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:55 pm

This one is using a Tripod... I love the closeup option of this lens.. I a big bug too but its got some yuck webs on it which spoils the shot..

Destiny..
Attachments
TropicalFlower1.jpg

Destiny

by Destiny » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:50 am

Sleeping.... zzzzzzzz ;)

Sigma 50-500mm....

Destiny..
Attachments
DestinySleeping.jpg

no avatar
rolly1

by rolly1 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Destiny that's a cool shot I like that, too much shopping I bet, where's that located ,I have ordered a carbon fibre tripod same as yours just 3 section not 4 a Manfrotto 055 its the same as I have now , will sell the aluminium one and put the money to a Acratech ball head ,I have put getting the upgrade to PTP 2 off until later cheers Rolly1 ( does using this forum use a lot of internet download ever since I have been on it I keep going over the 8 gig limit ) ( and when I try to add smilies I get this :) cheer's )

no avatar
rolly1

by rolly1 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:10 pm

So it changes when you submit it ok cheer's Rolly1 :)

Destiny

by Destiny » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:23 pm

I like using the Acratech Ball Head since I can very quickly and easily put my camera to Portrait or Landscape.. You can put a leveller on the flash shoe if you wanted.... http://www.google.com.au/search?q=flash ... 10&bih=831

So far I am happy with closeups like flowers and bugs.. portraits, birds and animals.... and full zoom but I still need to work on a few things.. It took a long time and heaps of researching to realise that the Sigma 50-500mm was the lens to buy.. It's turned out to be an awesome lens, I love it... I need to now try a to capture a really nice giga pixel pano but I need one of those rubber bands to prevent lens creep.. I also want to try focus fusion...

Destiny...

PS,,, When you add a smily or what ever, you only get to see the text equivalent until its submitted....
As for internet usage.. Unless you are downloading heaps of users panos, I cannot see you using so much... I am on it all the time and never go over our limit... You might need to make sure you close pages....

Destiny...

Destiny

by Destiny » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:46 pm

.... and then my Prince kissed me and I work up.. Who turn out to be a frog :lol:

I captured a waterfall with slow shutter speed and achieved really nice soft water result... but... its the other leaves around it that moved in the wind so not so nice... or at least, not as I want it...

The 50-500mm allows me to focus on a subject that I would normally never be able to shoot..

What f-stop would be a good setting for a gigga pixel pano.. I was thinking f11....

Destiny...
Attachments
DestinyAwake.jpg

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Destiny wrote:.... and then my Prince kissed me and I work up.. Who turn out to be a frog :lol:

I captured a waterfall with slow shutter speed and achieved really nice soft water result... but... its the other leaves around it that moved in the wind so not so nice... or at least, not as I want it...

The 50-500mm allows me to focus on a subject that I would normally never be able to shoot..

What f-stop would be a good setting for a gigapixel pano.. I was thinking f11....

Destiny...

At long focal lengths one challenge will be depth of field (and possibly wind unsettling your rig which will be a greater risk with longer exposures).

Depth of field increases with smaller apertures (larger f numbers).

Look for a depth of field and hyperfocal distance calculator online:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... stance.htm

Even so you may need to refocus during the shoot - some people have reported refocusing every row.

Destiny

by Destiny » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Thank you for that info... I have to find a location where I can capture Bribane city a bit closer than the lookout I did some test shots from... its just a bit too far to get sharp images from... in will use my VR Drive...

Destiny..

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Destiny wrote:Thank you for that info... I have to find a location where I can capture Bribane city a bit closer than the lookout I did some test shots from... its just a bit too far to get sharp images from... in will use my VR Drive...

Destiny..

You may have to try several times and to be patient to wait for the right weather - as I recall Kolor waited months for the weather to be suitable for shooting their Paris gigapixel pano.

You certainly need to consider clouds and the location and movement of the sun during the shoot.

And do you have memory cards of sufficient capacity?

Finally how will you stitch such a 'monster' on your current Mac?

I suggest you start experimenting at a 'moderate' focal length and less than max. resolution and work up from there once you have cracked the technique.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:03 pm

mediavets wrote:Even so you may need to refocus during the shoot - some people have reported refocusing every row.

Having the option to stop the head at the end of each row helps witch refocusing.
Preferable is to do it automatically via focus-ramp - you don´t need to touch the lens, which is very critical with such lengths.
PromoteControl helps a lot also in that case.

best, Klaus

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Destiny wrote:Thank you for that info... I have to find a location where I can capture Bribane city a bit closer than the lookout I did some test shots from... its just a bit too far to get sharp images from... in will use my VR Drive...

Destiny..

I suggest to shoot very early in the morning because the air is much cleaner.
Look for the best perspective also in terms of light-direction.

best, Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Yes Andrew.. Weather is a real factor.. That day I took my test shots, I know they would have been much better if the haze was not there... Its shows up more in a photos... Its a 40 min drive so I need keep an eye on it... Clouds, wind, sun direction... Emmm.. forgot about processing my images... I am not doing so well in saving up for a new iMac or even a Pro.. oh humm...

Destiny...

mediavets wrote:

Destiny..

You may have to try several times and to be patient to wait for the right weather - as I recall Kolor waited months for the weather to be suitable for shooting their Paris gigapixel pano.

You certainly need to consider clouds and the location and movement of the sun during the shoot.

And do you have memory cards of sufficient capacity?

Finally how will you stitch such a 'monster' on your current Mac?

I suggest you start experimenting at a 'moderate' focal length and less than max. resolution and work up from there once you have cracked the technique.

no avatar
rolly1

by rolly1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:20 am

Hi all hope you are all well ,this is a subject i have been going to ask about on this forum focusing in giga pixel images ,My largest one so far is a bit over 1 giga pixel and i tried refocusing in one and it worked really well ,the limiting factor as stated is memory card size and computer ,Destiny my image was 204 d800 14 bit lostless raw files My AMD athalon64 2.6mhz processor 1 gig graphics card 8 gig ram took 2 days to process using apg ,my new computer that i built up (not finished yet ) I7 3820 3.6 mhz processor 2 gig graphics 32 gig ram did the same image in 2 hours how do they compare to your MAC, the file was 63730 * 19919 and 1.42 gbite jpg,i saved as psb file and it was 27.1 gbite , Good news is hard drives are cheap 2 Terra bite are less than $100 :) and the people on this forum who know what they are doing are going to tell me where i am going wrong :) :) :)

Questions 1 how do they focus the very large 360deg Gigpixel images like Paris etc
Question 2 How do we save the Gigpixel images that we create example the 204 pic one above ( one of The reasons I ask is nothing will open them ) cheers Rolly 1

Destiny

by Destiny » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:03 am

2 days..!!.. I get annoyed if I have to wait more than 2 minutes.. :lol:

I will try to create a gigga pixel image during the school holiday.... But... I will have to compromise and make the images small... My Mac will never cope with your files..

Good luck

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

by rolly1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:25 am

that was rendering and saving the image Destiny , they changed apg after that , type of upgrade , the old computer would not even look at it after that, had to make new computer, 3.0.? seems to be very hard on low power machines cheers rolly1 :)

Destiny

by Destiny » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:32 am

One thing I have found with APG.. Its very much hardware dependent for many features.... My iMac is just not up to creating a gigga pixel image like the Paris one.. I will see how big I can go...

There are a few things I would really like to buy but I think now the priority is a new Mac....

Without a doubt the Sigma 50-500mm is a really useful lens.. I am getting used to it being heavy...

Destiny...

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:07 am

rolly1 wrote:that was rendering and saving the image Destiny , they changed apg after that , type of upgrade , the old computer would not even look at it after that, had to make new computer, 3.0.? seems to be very hard on low power machines cheers rolly1 :)

Yes, I find that APP/APG 3.x is much more demanding of computer hardware when processing the same sets of images.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:09 am

rolly1 wrote: the people on this forum who know what they are doing are going to tell me where i am going wrong :) :) :)

I think many would recommend that you process your RAW image before stitching.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:11 am

rolly1 wrote:Question 2 How do we save the Gigpixel images that we create example the 204 pic one above ( one of The reasons I ask is nothing will open them ) cheers Rolly 1

Did you take a look at KRO utils?:

http://www.bigmike.it/kroutils/

Destiny

by Destiny » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:26 am

oooh... Have you tried that software yet..

I tried to capture a water fall using a slow shutter speed.. I could never have gotten as close without my 50-500mm but even so, this is made up of 4 main images stitched together using APG...

The issue is, movement of foliage in the wind.. Perhaps next time I will zoom in more and capture more images.... This is not perfect yet... Still working on techniques.. Perhaps try focus stacking...

Destiny...
Attachments
WaterFallOpp.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware