Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Panohead
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:47 pm 

I got a 4 year old Nodal Ninja and a 15 mm Canon.

I am thinking of getting one of the compact pano heads where it is the lens that is fixed to the rotator. I am looking at 360 and NN.

Will I get better panos?
Will my work be much easier?
Is it worth it?

Best
Claus

Post subject: Re: Panohead
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:02 pm 

clausjepsen wrote:
I got a 4 year old Nodal Ninja and a 15 mm Canon.

I am thinking of getting one of the compact pano heads where it is the lens that is fixed to the rotator. I am looking at 360 and NN.

Will I get better panos?
Will my work be much easier?
Is it worth it?

Best
Claus

Which Nodal Ninja pano head do you have now?

What camera body will you be using?

Are you considering the Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1/R10 series of heads?

If so, they are single row pano heads and cannot shoot nadir or zenith shots at NPP, so no use with your 15mm Canon fullframe fisheye lens if you wish to have 360x180 pano FOV.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:19 pm 

I got a NN 3 mk2 and use a 5D2.

I saw one where they tilted the camera and I think they used a 8 mm and that way got the zenith too.

My reason for the change is that it would be nice with a smaller black whole in nadir, quick setup and being able to leave the lens and use the camera with another lens.

The Ultimate R 10 from NN and the Atome from 360precision is used by googles trusted photographers to take pics from shops.

I am not dissatisfied with my NN.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:43 pm 

clausjepsen wrote:
I got a NN 3 mk2 and use a 5D2.

I saw one where they tilted the camera and I think they used a 8 mm and that way got the zenith too.

You can with the 8mm on a cropped sensor body.

But not with the 15mm Canon Fisheye on fullframe body like the 5D2.

And using an 8mm fisheye on a fullframe sensor body 'wastes' a lot of sensor area.

Quote:
My reason for the change is that it would be nice with a smaller black whole in nadir, quick setup and being able to leave the lens and use the camera with another lens.

You should be able to use a shooting pattern with your 5D2/15mm FE that gives small nadir hole.

What pattern do you shoot?

Remember the R1/R10 are single row heads - so no use for shooting 360x180 with your camera/lens combo.

You could look at using a RS-1 or RS-2:
http://shop.nodalninja.com/custom-heads-rs-1/2

Or consider converting your NN3 with an RS-1 adapter/convertor:
http://shop.nodalninja.com/rs-1-upper-r ... embly-kit/

Or look at a QR mounting for your NN3, if it will fit along with the 5D2.
http://shop.nodalninja.com/clamps/

Quote:
The Ultimate R 10 from NN and the Atome from 360precision is used by googles trusted photographers to take pics from shops.

Yes, I have an R10 which I use with a Nikon DX body and Sigma 8mm fisheye.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:31 pm 

I shoot 6 + 1 up + 2 down with 180 degrees rotation. With masking it gives me a quite small whole. What I was looking for was to leave out the 2 down shoots and masking, but still maintain the small whole.

But as I can read in your fine answer, that is not possible, if I also want a high resolution. Thanks for you help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:17 pm 

clausjepsen wrote:
I shoot 6 + 1 up + 2 down with 180 degrees rotation. With masking it gives me a quite small whole. What I was looking for was to leave out the 2 down shoots and masking, but still maintain the small whole.

But as I can read in your fine answer, that is not possible, if I also want a high resolution. Thanks for you help.

Doing it with an 8mm FE on your 5D2 you loose much resolution - but only save two shots.
i suggest to do 6 shots using the 15mm FE with the camera angled down about -10 or -12° plus a Zenith-shot .
This will minimize the Nadir-hole but still provides enough room for matching the Zenith-shot.
That´s definitely a better way than using the 8mm circular FE.

The small Nadir-hole can be retouched in Photoshop very easily using the clone-stamp. This is the fastest way - most of the time faster and easier than shooting and adding an extra Nadir-image.

An example (5D2, 15mm FE, 6 shot with the camera @-12° plus Zenith, manual Manfrotto-SPH head).
www.360impressions.de/Wohnung

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:18 pm 

clausjepsen wrote:
I shoot 6 + 1 up + 2 down with 180 degrees rotation. With masking it gives me a quite small whole. What I was looking for was to leave out the 2 down shoots and masking, but still maintain the small hole.

If you shoot your main row of six at a small negative pitch - try 10-15 degrees so that you just see the outer edge of the rotator at the bottom of the frame - then your nadir hole should be quite small even without a nadir shot - especially if you reduce the splay of the tripod legs.