Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: New Mac Pro
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:21 am 

Hi.. I did not know that the new Mac Pro was available, well it will be in December.. The price is not as high as I was expecting.. At this price I am sure they will sell quite well with all this technology...

I would dearly love one but.. Even though I think they are priced within reach of most high end users, its still an expensive layout... I need to start saving hard..

http://store.apple.com/au/buy-mac/mac-pro

Destiny..

Post subject: Re: New Mac Pro
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:42 pm 

I must admit, I get very confused as to what Mac Pro owners think their old secondhand Mac Pro is worth.. I do not know the purchase price at that time but I do not think it was the price this person wants for their secondhand Mac Pro.. This one looks like its not been looked after at all well. Yet they want $5,000 + $70 post which is about the same price for the top of the range 6-Core Mac Pro..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apple-Mac-Pr ... ae4&_uhb=1

Emm.. 0 bids which is not surprising.. Considering that the new Quad-Core and Dual CPU with 3.7GHz and Xeon E5 processor brand new will be $3,999... If this person does manage to sell their Mac Pro, they would be able to buy the new Mac Pro and a New monitor...

Many others coming onto the market now the new Mac Pro is just about available.... Some are using pics of it when it was new to sell it secondhand...

Apple also have a new Thunderbolt display monitor for about $1200 which is a good price for this new technology and the size of it.

It would be nice to own my very own Mac Pro... I can then give my husband back this iMac.. hahaaha..
About 5 years old now but still a great machine.. Apart from only having 4 gig of RAM, I really cannot fault it..

Destiny..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:54 pm 

Destiny,
Personally I would go for the new machine instead of any second hand machine. If you can spend $4000 you will have a neat, very neat machine with potential to grow. The growth might come at a price. f.e. getting 128 GB memory will cost you. But hey, this is a neat machine and it will fit in carry-on luggage :-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:18 pm 

Totally agree Hans after seeing some of the prices sellers of their old Mac Pro are asking... Don't they know they are secondhand.. For the price they are asking, its just not worth the risk since there would be no warranty and I would need it to last at least 4/5 years.... Many of them would need major maintenance within 2 years, fans, power supply or even hard drive replacement. Just not worth the bother or the expense or even the risk of loosing all my data.

We have decided to save up for the New Mac Pro with a nice monitor.. As crazy as it sounds, I have never owned my own computer... This iMac I use belongs to my husband, he bought it just before we got married... I just hog it.. hehe.. He has hinted that we will buy a new Mac Pro sooner than later.. You cannot claim a secondhand computer on Tax... But you can claim a new one... ;)

Its all quite amazing really.. When I did my Diploma of Multimedia, a Unit of assessment I did was to research the development of the micro processor.. My husbands father said that when he was in the British Navy during the war, he saw huge glass valves being loaded onto the ship.. The computer took up most of the middle deck... The IMB big blue I think it was called, took up half the building and could not do much at all.. The new Mac Pro has the processing power that could fill a city in those times with hardware... Just amazing..

We will just have to keep saving. I did have some money put away, but I gave it away to the NSW fire relief disaster fund.. :rolleyes: Thats ok.. We believe in Karma .. Good things will come from doing something nice for others... :) Better to be poor and happy than to be smelly rich and pushing up daisies like Steve Jobs.. Mind you, I would rather be rich and happy.. :lol: :lol: :p

And you are right, the new Apple can be expanded on as I can afford to do so and when I need more Power... mostly RAM of course.. hehe...

Destiny..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:26 am 

Is this a good Mac Pro and is it worth this money...

Destiny...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mac-Pro-5-1- ... 942&_uhb=1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:14 pm 

Seem like well kept, nice amount of storage, just wondering whether 16 GB will be enough but I guess that can always be upgraded later so not a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:20 pm 

Destiny wrote:
Is this a good Mac Pro and is it worth this money...

Destiny...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mac-Pro-5-1- ... 942&_uhb=1

Well . . . it´s about 2000.-€. The new Macpro will come about 3000.-€ as i heard . . . that´s 50% more.

Regarding what the new MacPro provides on more power and more modern components . . i´d rather wait and save for the new one.

Anyway i would wait until the new MacPro is available for some months. The prices for the old ones will drop further.

Or do you have an actual NEED for buying it NOW? If not: wait until January/February.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:21 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:
Seem like well kept, nice amount of storage, just wondering whether 16 GB will be enough but I guess that can always be upgraded later so not a deal breaker.

This model takes 64GB RAM afaik.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:33 pm 

No, no need to buy now... Just trying to find a bargain.... We are thinking that some good ones will come on the market since the new one is about to arrive.. December here in Australia so not long..

http://store.apple.com/au/buy-mac/mac-pro

We are just looking at the moment. We sent them an email asking if this was their best price.. Since there are so many on market these past few months... eBay is just one source, there is Gumtree and others in Aus.. Some are very old though.. I am beginning to understand the last models build specs.... I wish I took more notice before it was removed from the Apple web site..

If we did buy a second hand Mac Pro, we would seek advice here first.. We might miss something..

Destiny...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:37 pm 

Wow.. well that will be good for the future.. I am guessing that there might be some cheap RAM come on the market too...

Was this the last of the old style built or was there a newer version...

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:
This model takes 64GB RAM afaik.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:20 pm 

Well that was funny... I thought it very strange that this Mac Pro was selling for $5000, but after I questioned it with them.. Oops.. They priced it wrong.. Too many 0's... Its now $500 :)...

Destiny...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:52 pm 

Destiny wrote:
Well that was funny... I thought it very strange that this Mac Pro was selling for $5000, but after I questioned it with them.. Oops.. They priced it wrong.. Too many 0's... Its now $500 :)...

Destiny...

This one is too old! Hands off! Mountain Lion or Mavericks don´t run on it!
Takes max. 16GB RAM and the graphic card is much out of date!

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:02 am 

Yes, I would image that.. I only made reference to it in the beginning since I was confused they wanted $5,000 for it. But when I contacted them they made a mistake.. it is $500.. but still no good... way past its use by date..... Not even worth buying for spares...

How do you go about Hard Drives in the new Mac Pro... Its seems so very different.. I realise the RAM is expandable but the HDs seem strange....

I am guessing the DVD would be external unit like the new iMac.. Most of my software is on DVD...

Destiny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:21 am 

Destiny wrote:
Yes, I would image that.. I only made reference to it in the beginning since I was confused they wanted $5,000 for it. But when I contacted them they made a mistake.. it is $500.. but still no good... way past its use by date..... Not even worth buying for spares...

How do you go about Hard Drives in the new Mac Pro... Its seems so very different.. I realise the RAM is expandable but the HDs seem strange....

I am guessing the DVD would be external unit like the new iMac.. Most of my software is on DVD...

Destiny

Destiny: the MacPro you linked first is a completely different machine. The price of 3000.- AU $ for that was ok.
It´s a modern machine and actual OSX runs on it.

HD:
You just need to understand the basics: the new McPro relies ONLY on external expansions via the very fast Thunderbolt2 connection. The internal combined HD/SSD is VERY fast - but of course not enough for working with really big Files.
Read the specs!

I mean that´s a very good strategy! Most flexible.

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:25 pm 

whoaaaaa, 4000 euro for a 16 GB sixcore machine........

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:19 am 

The Mac Pro needs a monitor too... but the iMac is all in one.. There is no DVD player anymore so it has an external.. How about this, no more to pay....

Destiny...

Attachment:
iMacSpecs.jpg
iMacSpecs.jpg [ 21.71 KiB | Viewed 845 times ]

Attachments:
MacPro.jpg
MacPro.jpg [ 71.06 KiB | Viewed 844 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:52 pm 

Destiny wrote:
The Mac Pro needs a monitor too... but the iMac is all in one.. There is no DVD player anymore so it has an external.. How about this, no more to pay....

Destiny...

Attachment:
iMacSpecs.jpg

It´s 2700.-€ - not too bad. But i would wait at least half a year and then
look for user´s reports!
I´d never buy Apple´s very first series . . ;) :cool:

I guess buying a machine from a previous series shoud be really a bargain or it doesen´t pay off in the end.

The new MacPro is too different - so producers of new software and add-on gadgets will do their stuff
aimed to this model.

best, Klaus