Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: HERO3+
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:27 am 

I guess if the new HEOR3+ is 20% smaller, then a new rubber frame rig will need to be made to fit the new camera size..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1003301-REG/gopro_chdhx_302_hero3_black_edition_adventure.html

But anyone with the Hero3 X 5 or 6 of them, in a year or so with the old frame, and who might need just one replacement HERO3 camera, might not be able to buy it... It's an expensive outlay to start with, but when you consider that in a year or so, you might not be able to buy a replacement camera to match up with the current rig, emmmm... I guess the only thing they can do, is make up a fake housing for the new HERO3+ to take up the 20% space of the smaller camera.. oh hum.. :rolleyes:

http://www.kolor.com/buy/pack-freedom-rig-360.html

Destiny...

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05 am 

to be honest I would postpone any buy of a hero 3 because of the following reasons:

+ the battery life is a shame (hero2hd 4hrs -> hero3 <1 hour)
+ the temperature of the hero3 is critical so its rebooting after unspecific timeperiod (and this not in Australia, but in Austria with moderate 20degree summertemps...).
+ updating the firmware is a hazard game - in >50% it takes several hours to reanimate the gopro (with old or with new firmware)
+ video: the sensor or the lens or both are warping heavily if you use the cams with 50km/h or more. so you've to heavily postprocess the video to equalize the video (by loosing 20-25% of the borders of the frames... so loosing sizer and pixxels and a lot of time for postprozessing.)

so buying 6 of them is no fun.

EDIT: my posting is reviewing the hero3 and not the hero3+
so 3+ claims +30% battery durance and 30%+ more sharp Images. hm...

Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: HERO3+
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:09 am 

read comments on web that its only the case that's smaller not the actual hero 3+ not sure who's right at this stage , a friend of mine returned 3 hero3 blacks before they got one to work properly, and then they had to start it up in a particular order for it to work ,as stated battery life is terrible, cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:25 pm 

The camera body of the Hero3 and the Hero3+ is identical, they both will fit the Freedom360 mount just nicely... The FoV of the lenses are also very similar. GoPro claims 30% longer battery life, and we are testing this claim at the moment, as well as the heat profile. (Much of the heat of the GoPro cameras is radiated out of the front, which is why the F360 doesn't cover the front as a heat sink surface).

We found no support for the general claim that every Hero3 overeats all the time. Some of the early Hero3 (late 2012 models) had production issues, which caused them to overheat and shut down. It was easy to spot this erratic behavior, and return the cameras right away. From our experience, the production quality got much better in Spring/Summer, we we didn't see that problem anymore. We had been using H3B for all kinds of productions, including recording concerts on the Summer Stage in Central Park (NYC on a hot day), recording 2h uninterrupted (with external power attached) and without any crashing/rebooting/overheating etc. We do expect the H3B+ to be even more reliable in that regard. GIven the numbers of H3B out there in the world (probably 1M+), systematic failure would cause much larger uproar in the online forums.

The only thing that has changed with the new Hero3+ in regards to size, is the waterproof acrylic housing, which is indeed about 30% smaller.

Joergen Geerds
http://Freedom360.us

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:20 pm 

thanks for Hero 3+ Infos...

Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:18 am 

Well that makes more sence.. Thanks for clearing that up.. This statement is ambiguous..

"The GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition Camera is 20% smaller and lighter than its predecessor, the HERO3."
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... nture.html

Kolor are offering the kit at 300 euro saving.. Still too expansive for me but I would really love to test it all out...

Destiny...