Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: So I've got a new PC...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:15 am 

Hiya -

I'm in the rather fortunate position of having a bit of a beast of a PC land on (well, under) my desk, and just wanted to reach out to people to see how I should be configuring/using APG to get the most out of it.

Windows 7 Ultimate
Twin Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9GHz
GTX Titan
256GB RAM (only 192GB usable under Win 7 ultimate)
3 pairs of RAID 0'd Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD's

Specifically, I'm wondering about how best to allocate memory in APG, and how best to utilize the drives when stitching large (450MB each) input TIFFs.

Thanks in advance,

Gerald.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:14 pm 

gddxb wrote:
Hiya -

I'm in the rather fortunate position of having a bit of a beast of a PC land on (well, under) my desk, and just wanted to reach out to people to see how I should be configuring/using APG to get the most out of it.

Windows 7 Ultimate
GTX Titan

Specifically, I'm wondering about how best to allocate memory in APG, and how best to utilize the drives when stitching large (450MB each) input TIFFs.

Thanks in advance,

Gerald.

Wow Gerald, great setup.

APG will automaticly eat up all memory it sees in your system. I would not worry to much about it.
I would advice you to upgrade to windows 8 as it will be able to address up to 512 GB

Drives are great. If we call each pair A, B and C I would use A for sourcefiles, B for pagefile and tell autopano to use C:\temp as first tempdirectory, then B for second temp-directory and finaly A as third tempdrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:57 pm 

Hey.. Just in case.. But I am sure you have already done so... Make sure APG is set to run in 64bit... ;)

Destiny...

gddxb wrote:
Hiya -

Windows 7 Ultimate
GTX Titan

Thanks in advance,

Gerald.

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:28 pm 

Destiny wrote:
Hey.. Just in case.. But I am sure you have already done so... Make sure APG is set to run in 64bit... ;)

Destiny...

gddxb wrote:
Hiya -

Windows 7 Ultimate
GTX Titan

Thanks in advance,

Gerald.

cool. wow this would be a faux pas deluxe. Win7/8 32bit and a motherboard equipped with 256GB :lol:
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:14 pm 

That's ONLY 252 gig more than my iMac...

BTW... For sale... One healthy kidney.... for the price of a MacPro.. :lol:

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:25 pm 

Destiny wrote:
That's ONLY 252 gig more than my iMac...

BTW... For sale... One healthy kidney.... for the price of a MacPro.. :lol:

Destiny..

Don't know what kidney go for these days, but I think Gerald's system might be cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:39 pm 

.... so I get change... :lol:

Destiny...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:19 am 

Destiny wrote:
.... so I get change... :lol:

Destiny...

Unless you go for a macPro ;-) Then you need to throw in another kidney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:21 am 

I have a feeling that Apple are going to do a hug price cut.. They need to gain market share back.. Sales have dropped considerably over the last year or two....

I would go PC but my past experience is that its forever updating.. They just need to fix the thing properly.. if its not updating then its crashing.. In all the time I have used our iMac, it has never stopped to do an update.. if an update is available, I can just let it do the install on next time I open it.. But thats not very often.. It has crashed a few times with testing PTP and APG but not very often.. It has locked up only twice after a lot of work for many hours.. So that was my fault.

I am not impressed with the way Apply does business and treats its competitors, which has come back to bite them, be it hypocritical but I like using the Mac much better than a PC... I am very jealous of 256gig of RAM... That is just awesome.. Great for video too with the Kolor live video and VR video.. Gerald hasn't mentioned his HDs.. I can assume they are in the TB...

We are waiting for the new Mac Pro to be release, the old one should come onto the market in their hundreds, we hope to pick up a bargain.... :)

Destiny....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:36 am 

Destiny wrote:
I have a feeling that Apple are going to do a hug price cut.. They need to gain market share back.. Sales have dropped considerably over the last year or two....

I would go PC but my past experience is that its forever updating.. They just need to fix the thing properly.. if its not updating then its crashing.. In all the time I have used our iMac, it has never stopped to do an update.. if an update is available, I can just let it do the install on next time I open it.. But thats not very often.. It has crashed a few times with testing PTP and APG but not very often.. It has locked up only twice after a lot of work for many hours.. So that was my fault.

I am not impressed with the way Apply does business and treats its competitors, which has come back to bite them, be it hypocritical but I like using the Mac much better than a PC... I am very jealous of 256gig of RAM... That is just awesome.. Great for video too with the Kolor live video and VR video.. Gerald hasn't mentioned his HDs.. I can assume they are in the TB...

We are waiting for the new Mac Pro to be release, the old one should come onto the market in their hundreds, we hope to pick up a bargain.... :)

Destiny....

Windows 8.0 (and Windows 8.1 within one month = no update, but it will be a replacement :cool: )
I can tell you that I had one single hangup since I upgraded from Windows 7 10 months ago.
Windows updates can be very userfriendly adjusted. You can
automatically download & install all updates including recommended or immediateley & obligated reboots
automatically download all and install everything at an specific time (you're not useing your pc) with automatic or with manually started reboots if needed
be informed that Downloads are available and you can manually install single selected or all of them whenever you manually act.
Microsoft does have regularily patch days (once per month) so no Need you've to adopt your working rhythm.

Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:11 am 

Probably Georg.. The update process I hate the most is.. If I missed seeing that fact that the PC is about to update in X min, it will then close and reboot automatically before I have a change to stop it.. I might be in the middle of doing something.. No saving just closes... It might be my lack of understanding Windows but.. I don't like it.. I also hate the look of the interface.. This is one main reason why their Surface failed to take off.. It was ugly for sure.. Big coloured rectangles. What were they thinking off.. No wonder the main Engineer resigned.. Windows 3+ was awesome.. Windows XP was very stable.. Windows 7 is ok but can be a lot better.. after that.. Oh hum...

I would love to see another playing come into the arena but I doubt if that will happen anytime soon..

At the moment the system that Gerald just purchased, would cost a lot more as a Mac equivalent. This is why I feel that Apple will drop their prices to try and crawl back some market share...

Destiny...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:30 am 

Destiny wrote:
Probably Georg.. The update process I hate the most is.. If I missed seeing that fact that the PC is about to update in X min, it will then close and reboot automatically before I have a change to stop it.. I might be in the middle of doing something.. No saving just closes... It might be my lack of understanding Windows but.. I don't like it.. I also hate the look of the interface.. This is one main reason why their Surface failed to take off.. It was ugly for sure.. Big coloured rectangles. What were they thinking off.. No wonder the main Engineer resigned.. Windows 3+ was awesome.. Windows XP was very stable.. Windows 7 is ok but can be a lot better.. after that.. Oh hum...

I would love to see another playing come into the arena but I doubt if that will happen anytime soon..

At the moment the system that Gerald just purchased, would cost a lot more as a Mac equivalent. This is why I feel that Apple will drop their prices to try and crawl back some market share...

Destiny...

You clearly lack some knowledge about Windows. You can choose yourself whether updates will be installed automaticly or not. Most average Windows users know that.

The look of the interface is a matter of what you are used to, I find the mac-interface to be a horrible clumpsy, typical nerd/linux interface that I thought we left behind with the turn of the century. But with some effort I can use it. (why menu's are not attached to the window of the programma itself, I never got that design-"choice")

When changing from one system to another there is always an effort to be done. Like learning a new language.

Why would one change from one OS to another. Well, looking at the prices of the machines, there is a very good reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:32 am 

Destiny wrote:

Destiny...

You clearly lack some knowledge about Windows. You can choose yourself whether updates will be installed automaticly or not. Most average Windows users know that.

The look of the interface is a matter of what you are used to, I find the mac-interface to be a horrible clumpsy, typical nerd/linux interface that I thought we left behind with the turn of the century. But with some effort I can use it. (why menu's are not attached to the window of the programma itself, I never got that design-"choice")

When changing from one system to another there is always an effort to be done. Like learning a new language.

Why would one change from one OS to another. Well, looking at the prices of the machines, there is a very good reason. What was the price of Gerald's machine again? Do you actually know it or are you just saying things? Try build a system like his with Apple.... not possible for realistic prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:33 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
Destiny wrote:

Destiny....

Windows 8.0 (and Windows 8.1 within one month = no update, but it will be a replacement :cool: )
I can tell you that I had one single hangup since I upgraded from Windows 7 10 months ago.
Windows updates can be very userfriendly adjusted. You can
automatically download & install all updates including recommended or immediateley & obligated reboots
automatically download all and install everything at an specific time (you're not useing your pc) with automatic or with manually started reboots if needed
be informed that Downloads are available and you can manually install single selected or all of them whenever you manually act.
Microsoft does have regularily patch days (once per month) so no Need you've to adopt your working rhythm.

Georg

Well, in terms of RAM and the freedom of choosing graphic cards i also would prefer a PC - to be honest that´s the reason i have one and had my son configure it for me.
It´s cheaper than a Mac. Yes. But not cheaper enough to convince me using Windows.

PC-users are so used to the way Windows handle things that they don´t even imagine how much more fluent and comfortable and relieble the same things can be handled by another OS.

MY problem with PCs isn´t the hardware - it´s the OS.

And, Destiny: your repeating lamento about Apple´s "way of doing business" and treating it´s competitors" . . : do you really think that Samsung & Co. do business
another way? Don´t you know the same facilities manufacturing for Apple also work for the most of the other brands? But: guess who´s the bad guy? Of course the bad guy always is treh most successful one. In erlier days it was Microsoft and now it´s Apple. All other guys in the street have nothing but golden hearts . . .

Apple´s "treating it´s competitors" - what do you mean in detail?

Apple was "treated" being agressively sued by it´s competitors from the start on - and it got more and more the more success Apple has since rolling out the iPod in the ´90s. Apple started a revolution - no less.
And how it comes with all kinds of revolutions: on he spot they get copied, plagiated. People, companies who are not creative enough to start revolutions themself enter the bus.

Apple gets copied sometimes absolutely shamelessly - competitors copy even the screws and buttons to make the product look like an Apple product.

I do fully agree to Apple treating their competitors the same way as the competitors treat them.

Apple always was "special" - it is "special" still. This rises issues regarding competitors. Samsung copied Apple in some aspects shamelessly - they´re not that creative. I don´t buy them.

To avoid being sued by your competitors these days you need to sue first and have legions of lawyers keeping up about every detail. That´s the ONLY way to do business of this size today.

The US legal system simply is insane. But not handling it the same way as all competitors do would be suicidal.

Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 pm 

Destiny wrote:
Probably Georg.. The update process I hate the most is.. If I missed seeing that fact that the PC is about to update in X min, it will then close and reboot automatically before I have a change to stop it.. I might be in the middle of doing something.. No saving just closes... It might be my lack of understanding Windows but.. I don't like it..

Yes, it is your inexperience with Windows; as Georg has pointed out there are many ways of controlling the update process.

Quote:
I also hate the look of the interface.. This is one main reason why their Surface failed to take off.. It was ugly for sure.. Big coloured rectangles. What were they thinking off.. No wonder the main Engineer resigned..

IMO Surface failed becasue it was a) too expensive and b) people couldn't understand Surface RT vs. Surface Pro and c) the device is too big and d) the app store was weak.

That Modern (tiled) UI has received very positive reviews for its implementation on Windows phones, even from dyed-in-the-wool iPhone fans.

Quote:
Windows 3+ was awesome.. Windows XP was very stable.. Windows 7 is ok but can be a lot better.. after that.. Oh hum...

Not too much difference betwen Windows 7 and 8 'under the hood'. And 8.1 promises to allow desktop users to bypass much of Metro/Modern touch-orientated UI that many desktop users have complained about.

Quote:

Destiny...

Apple's never shown much concern about market share for desktops and laptops. I think prices will stay high.

They will be more concerned about falling market share in the mobile phone and tablet markets.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:46 pm 

Congratulation Gerald,

that is one heck of a system, but I am puzzled as to why it only sees 192GB, does it start up and show 256GB at boot up? If not then you may need to re-seat them.

All the best

Henrik

PS: Can you go and do the PTGui Speed test, please :-) I want to see what that beast can do

gddxb wrote:
Hiya -

Windows 7 Ultimate
GTX Titan

Thanks in advance,

Gerald.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:10 pm 

Hi Henrik -

Windows 7 only recognises a maximum of 192GB of RAM. I've had 256 installed in case I decide to move to Win8. Undecided on that at the moment

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:11 pm 

Sorry - yes. Point me to the speed test and I'll see what she does :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:16 pm 

http://hdview.at/speedtest/

Let me know how she goes :-)
Get it under 2 min :-)

Hen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:00 pm 

tived wrote:

Hen

Have to admit my i7 needs 4 min 43. The test is mostly testing the CPU. There is nothing about the speed of the GPU forthe editor.

Rendering is something the computer can do while I am away from the computer so not so important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:27 am 

Hans,
It isn't just the CPU, it's also ram and disk speed.

Hen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:23 am 

Hi Tived,

Sorry I was not precise. I should have said that on my machine it is mostly testing the CPU. With 64 GB I see that the CPU is mostly high in the ninetees. There is some IO going on with my PCIE-SSD but that is les then 500 KB/sec most of the time.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:07 am 

tived wrote:

Hen

2'15" :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:24 am 

Don't feel so bad that is pretty fast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:10 pm 

tived wrote:
Don't feel so bad that is pretty fast

I feel that what really matters is how fast your whole workflow is from making the photos until placing the finished tour online.

When I moved from my old system(i7 920 16 GB) to my current workstation (i7-3930 54 GB) I thought that it would solve everything and make everything much and much faster.
Boy was I wrong. It was like "If you do things wrong manually on a slow computer, a faster computer will only do it wrong faster"
Since I have the new workstation I have been cleaning up my workflow to a point that I believe that I can easily do the whole thing very well on the old system........

Not that I suggest Gerard bought a system bigger then he might need, I have no idea what the size of his panoramas are.