Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Future forum migration
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:12 pm 
Administrator

Hi,

The forum you are watching is a quite old piece of software (punBB) and we need to update it to get on track with current forum technology.
During Panotour Pro 2.0 private beta testing, we were studying another forum engine (phpBB) and it appears to match what we need.

So this old forum will end at some time and will be replaced by a brand new one. During this phase, some revamp can be done as it is the good time to do them.

What we have to have:
- All users, threads, posts, images from the old forum should be transferred to the new one. The history should not be lost.
- Categories / forums / sub-forums will be same as the old one, but may be organized differently because of the language.

What need to be discussed:
- I don't like the old forum as it is too long on the page. The English, French languages are the same level. It works when you have 10 entries but not with the number of entries now.
The real question is 'language master' or 'software master' ?
In language master mode, we will have 2 languages as main entries and several sub-forum under it ( autopano, panotour, etc )
In software master mode, for each software forum, we'll have a French sub-forum. This is the illustration in attached screenshot.

Future:
- With this new forum engine, many new options are available. And I'll sure you'll populate this thread with a lot of ideas.

Best

Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:45 pm 

AlexandreJ wrote:
Hi,

The forum you are watching is a quite old piece of software (punBB) and we need to update it to get on track with current forum technology.
During Panotour Pro 2.0 private beta testing, we were studying another forum engine (phpBB) and it appears to match what we need.

So this old forum will end at some time and will be replaced by a brand new one. During this phase, some revamp can be done as it is the good time to do them.

What we have to have:
- All users, threads, posts, images from the old forum should be transferred to the new one. The history should not be lost.
- Categories / forums / sub-forums will be same as the old one, but may be organized differently because of the language.

What need to be discussed:
- I don't like the old forum as it is too long on the page. The English, French languages are the same level. It works when you have 10 entries but not with the number of entries now.
The real question is 'language master' or 'software master' ?
In language master mode, we will have 2 languages as main entries and several sub-forum under it ( autopano, panotour, etc )
In software master mode, for each software forum, we'll have a French sub-forum. This is the illustration in attached screenshot.

Future:
- With this new forum engine, many new options are available. And I'll sure you'll populate this thread with a lot of ideas.

Best

Alexandre

Hi Alexandre!

Why not have two seperated forums - selectable on start? Either English OR French? I don´t think many users NEED BOTH languages at the same time :cool:

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:58 am 

Continuing on from Klaus' suggestion, what about having is as a preference set against your forum profile ID that you can select yourself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:23 pm 

The problem with having two languages is that many useful discussions are closed to those who (like myself) can only read one language.

Would it be possible to set it up so that threads can be automatically translated into both languages (or possibly more)?

A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:29 pm 

Parblue, c'est une tres bonne idee!

Bonsoir, Ed.

Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:24 pm 

ฉันดีกับทั้งสองภาษาตราบเท่าที่ภาษาที่สองเป็นคนไทย

ชาตา

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:55 am 

@ Destiny, lol EXACTLY!

https://www.facebook.com/MaxBolotovPhotography

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:31 am 

Well.. I reckon that Kolor should be hoisting the American flag with its use of the English language.. Since they like to spell their English in the American way.... But since I am living in the land down-under, forgive me for feeling left out both ways since the the Langue Icon on the Kolor forum is the English and the French flags... :(

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:38 am 

Destiny wrote:
Well.. I reckon that Kolor should be hoisting the American flag with its use of the English language.. Since they like to spell their English in the American way.... But since I am living in the land down-under, forgive me for feeling left out both ways since the the Langue Icon on the Kolor forum is the English and the French flags... :(

Destiny..

D.

It's actually a British flag not an English flag!

But still incorrect because the forum uses American English not British English. ;)

Although Franglais is also commonly used.

And as for Australian English....well, enough said....:P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.