Grube Hambach.....  

Share what you've done with Autopano Pro.
Montrez nous vos oeuvres !
no avatar
Artisan New

Grube Hambach.....

by Artisan New » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 am

275 meters into the earth, 7 x 6 km wide, and in a few years no more then a lake (being the second largest volume of fresh water in Germany after the Bodensee)....they may have to divert the Rhine to fill it up (otherwise it would take to long).....what a waterfall that will make.....Niagara handmade.....and of course a notch on the CO2 balance of Germany and a big one....some 7 powerstations eat the coal being dug out there 24 hours a day and 365 days a year and they get their coal over conveyor belts (no trains or other transport needed).

Now doing something on a massive scale like that is easy in a baren country.....but in the heartland of an industrial nation....whole towns had to be relocated....some left willing some had to be "pursuaded" with money and sometimes with men in green, some still protest silently, and not so silently. But what position you take, the dimensions and scale of the project are breathtaking.

Now the light, the storm, the fog, smog and dust were as difficult as you can have them. Out on a viewing platform, overlooking the widest manmade hole on earth (not the deepest that record is held by a smaller Australian mine). Using my all new Canadian/Dutch build/programmed panorama mount. Yeps, it works....

Enjoy, Ed.

Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:40 am

Artisan New wrote:Now the light, the storm, the fog, smog and dust were as difficult as you can have them. Out on a viewing platform, overlooking the widest manmade hole on earth (not the deepest that record is held by a smaller Australian mine).

What an extraordinary place.

Using my all new Canadian/Dutch build/programmed panorama mount. Yeps, it works....

Enjoy, Ed.

Can we see some photos of your robotic mount, please?
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:51 am

Not yet, since my version of the mount is still in development....needs a 3D printed controler and for that I first have to build a 3D printer (challange!) but you can see the original version on the web....if you do some searching you can even find it on the Kolor forum......

Greets, Ed.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:54 am

What an extraordinary place.

Yeps, Peter Jackson could have saved half his CGI budget if he filmed Mordor here :).

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Artisan New wrote:275 meters into the earth, 7 x 6 km wide, and in a few years no more then a lake (being the second largest volume of fresh water in Germany after the Bodensee)....they may have to divert the Rhine to fill it up (otherwise it would take to long).....what a waterfall that will make.....Niagara handmade.....and of course a notch on the CO2 balance of Germany and a big one....some 7 powerstations eat the coal being dug out there 24 hours a day and 365 days a year and they get their coal over conveyor belts (no trains or other transport needed).

Now doing something on a massive scale like that is easy in a baren country.....but in the heartland of an industrial nation....whole towns had to be relocated....some left willing some had to be "pursuaded" with money and sometimes with men in green, some still protest silently, and not so silently. But what position you take, the dimensions and scale of the project are breathtaking.

Now the light, the storm, the fog, smog and dust were as difficult as you can have them. Out on a viewing platform, overlooking the widest manmade hole on earth (not the deepest that record is held by a smaller Australian mine). Using my all new Canadian/Dutch build/programmed panorama mount. Yeps, it works....

Enjoy, Ed.

hey - looks great! Garzweiler near Cologne/Aachen?

Klaus

Can´t you make it interactive and multires? Use the droplet "MakePano Multires" - or PTP.
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Yes Klaus, (and thanks for the compliment), sure I have a KRPANO license....and I know how to us it. Only problem nada Interweb for me.....had a little row with my ISP over billings and billings and yet again billings....and after 13 (I don't know why) years I decided enough was enough....adios muchasos. But before I get to the stupid task of creating a new webspace de moi (god I hate programming for web), I have to develop and build (god I love developing lately, developing in a team does not work for me but developing on my own, damned that rocks) a 3D printer from an old dead Epson printer and an old obscolete, while ISA SCSI Agfa scanner (the 200 dollar 3D printer the McGuyver way, so to speak)....so for now this has to do, Klaus...since the 3D printer will be used to build more 3D printers (scraprap instead of reprap?) and that could be economically viable...3D printing and VR photography sounds like a cool combo, don't you think.

And yes Klaus the pano is sharp (you are dying to know, right :)), my 200 (Panasonic) was at it's limits, as were the atmospheric conditions (contrast was at a premium), and it shows by the way, next I try my 1978 Nikon 80-200 or 300 IF ED as discussed elsewhere. Since the motors (running at 144.000 microsteps per head revolution) have 4.8 kg/cm holding torque, I have some (considerable) headroom left for heavier stuff (or faster speeds or both) but I don't need it, just a better lens and even more urgent a break in the weather and better light (shooting more or less straight into the sun is no fun at all lighting wise especially not when shooting Gigapano).....maybe I should have opened up the HDR mode.....up to 5 steps (currently only in camera HDR so that explains the limit, but a full bulb mode HDR mode is in planning as well, in which the Arduino controls the shutter as well as triggering it), only limitation is the 32K flashmem of the Arduino (I use all kinds of mem now, flash for the code and static data, sdram for the volatile parameters and eeprom for the XML parameters so I can store the XML to the desktop from the comfort of my study amd I can turn the controler of if I please without loosing data).

Greets, Ed.

P.S. to answer your question.....your near, it's shot at the hamlet of Elsdorf at the Grube Hambach and the shooting direction is more or less straight south....not a good idea but I couldn't find another spot to shoot. It took me an hour or driving and a roadmap of NRW to find this one (not really going for a wider audience these RWE kids)....and I've been there before a few years ago, the landscape and the roads keep changing (of course).

P.P.S. I shot 9 columns a 5 rows in a zig/zag pattern. I could have done more but some *** (namely me) forgot to charge/change the battery and another *** (also namely me) forgot to bring the two loaded spares.

Eh, I had do reduce the size of image.....aparently Kolor can't handle 4608 pixel on the vertical.....hello it's well within the limits only portrait, right.

Last edited by Artisan New on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Panorama gallery / Galerie de panoramas