Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
Destiny

Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800

by Destiny » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:36 am

Hi... Zoom/Telephoto lenses can be quite expensive... I would really love a good zoom lens from 300mm to about 500mm... I would like it to fit onto my D800. I have read some info that a few none-Nikon lenses can work well but then some information I have read contradicts the use of the lens or provides confusing information.... Once I feel which ever lens is ok for my needs, I will search for a second hand one.... No need to buy a new one for the amount of photos I take... I would love a Nikon Zoom to be honest but they are very expensive....

Thank you

Destiny..
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Destiny wrote:Hi... Zoom/Telephoto lenses can be quite expensive... I would really love a good zoom lens from 300mm to about 500mm... I would like it to fit onto my D800. I have read some info that a few none-Nikon lenses can work well but then some information I have read contradicts the use of the lens or provides confusing information.... Once I feel which ever lens is ok for my needs, I will search for a second hand one.... No need to buy a new one for the amount of photos I take... I would love a Nikon Zoom to be honest but they are very expensive....

Thank you

Destiny..

WHY a 300-500 zoom at all? Get a 85mm and start doing business gigapixel-wise. On the D800 it gives you about 5 Gigapixels spherical.
That impresses clients very much - IF you provide excellent quality . . .
You definitely will not earn appropriate money with much bigger ones. And then there´s processing the images . . . .

So my advise (i know you will not like what i say): stick with what you have and make it a business - first of all providing
excellent quality . . not XXL Gigapixels most likely nobody in your region will pay for appropriately.

Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

Destiny

by Destiny » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:53 pm

I don't want the lens to make money Klaus.. I want a zoom/telephoto lens since there are so many beautiful old buildings and wildlife sooo far in the distance.. I do not want to do gigapixel images ether.. This is just for single shots photos.. well, bracketed with the old colonial buildings.. Up in the mountains there are some beautiful water falls too but soo far away.. Hard to get to... Perhaps I should have explained what I need it for... The other day there was big Wedge Tail Eagle sitting on the fence.. It was there for nearly 20 minutes... It was almost as big as me.. http://www.google.com.au/search?sugexp=crnk_timecombined&gs_rn=26&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=26&gs_id=1b&xhr=t&q=australian+wedge+tail+eagle&safe=active&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.52164340,d.aGc&biw=1180&bih=805&dpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=HQozUtePMeXMiAfOtICYAw

Loved to have taken some photos of it.. but too far away...

Destiny...
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:50 pm

106 cm that a neat 40 inches +......and that is the Eagle not Destiny......:)....you won't see to much of those birds in Düsseldorf Klaus (or you're at a turkey farm but somehow that is not the same :)).

Now to shoot (ehem, in the Frans Lanting way) a bird like that while keeping the bird in it's comfort zone (with 106 cm birds with fangs and beak and 260 cm wingspan, that's always a good idea) you need at least a 500 mm or even longer. But the hughe sensor allows for some serious cropping. Now having said that does mrs. Destiny have a knack for the gym.....since byceps training maybe needed as well (wax in, wax out also works and John can drive to work in polished mobile all the way and all the day).

Al that aside a serious tripod is also needed preferably with a good strong head and one that is fast and stops at a dime as it keeps lens and camera balanced, a gimball head like these is ideal.

http://www.tripodhead.com/

Now the tele.....it needs to be autofocus since animals rarely listen to modelling commands (I know Mother Nature is a bitch). So 8 years ago I would have said no change in hell your gonna swing it. But the game of photography has changed 100% since Nikon/Sony began upping the ante and cherning out great sensors like the one in the D800. You can go to 6400 ISO without a doubt in mind, and you will still get a great shot and the Aussi empire is kinda kissed by the sun so lux usually is not a problem year round (am I right or not Destiny).

So a FF Nikon F mounted 300 till 500 it has to be.....now aperture wise 2.8 or 4 is nice but 5.6 will do.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381606-REG/Sigma_595306_300_800mm_f_5_6_EX_DG.html

But Des that will mean a trip to the bank......those are American dollars not Australian dollars I'm affraid. Now if you put a 36 Mpixel sensor behind it....well this new 80-400 zoom would do the trick....it's not cheap eather but it wont break the bank and at 1.3 kg it won't break you back either.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-nikkor-80-400mm-f-4-5-5-6g-ed-vr-ii-review-22065

I have been oogling with this lens for quite some time.....to have a great 160-800 for my OM-D but Oly is cooking up some nice glass in the near future so I'll wait a bit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bkushner/8703721088/in/set-72157630061023554

This was shot with that combination.....and remember a 400 is a 600 in DX mode.....and you still have nearly as much pixels as D4.......

Greets, Ed.
Last edited by Artisan New on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Destiny wrote:I don't want the lens to make money Klaus.. I want a zoom/telephoto lens since there are so many beautiful old buildings and wildlife sooo far in the distance.. I do not want to do gigapixel images ether.. This is just for single shots photos.. well, bracketed with the old colonial buildings.. Up in the mountains there are some beautiful water falls too but soo far away.. Hard to get to... Perhaps I should have explained what I need it for... The other day there was big Wedge Tail Eagle sitting on the fence.. It was there for nearly 20 minutes... It was almost as big as me.. http://www.google.com.au/search?sugexp=crnk_timecombined&gs_rn=26&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=26&gs_id=1b&xhr=t&q=australian+wedge+tail+eagle&safe=active&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.52164340,d.aGc&biw=1180&bih=805&dpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=HQozUtePMeXMiAfOtICYAw

Loved to have taken some photos of it.. but too far away...

Destiny...

Sorry, Destiny - i misunderstood . . ;)
Thought you´re expanding your business as a commercial panorama photographer and make your equipment earnig back the money you invested in it.

Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:55 am

Wow Ed.. that 80-400 looks awesome.. but oh man.. its soo expensive.. but perfect.. We walked on a mountain ridge last weekend and could see a billabong with some Platypus playing in the water.. We were determined to capture a photo of them but they were just too far away.. I left John to trek down which was bit scary but the little things heard me coming long before I was close enough to capture a shot.. I could see John and baby on the ridge looking very small.. I waited for a while but they were long gone and it was getting dark so no good.. We needed to go.. The evening is the best time since so many Australian creatures and birds come out... I almost tripped over an Echidna walking back. I do now know who was more scared, it or me.. :lol:.. Easy to take a photo of a Kangaroo at the golf course.. I might do that soon. Some of them are huge.. I also want to take some wide pano photos of the water falls coming out of the ridges cascading down into the valley.. Little rock wallabies hang out there too...

If its not one things its the need to buy even more.. I am guessing my little very light carbon fibre tripod is too light.. oh hum.. So much needed ... John said we really need to buy a new Mac first.. This Mac is not even mine.. Its John's.. I don't even have a computer of my own.. ;/ Yes Ed... I think you are right, I need to go to the Gym to build up mussels to carry it... oh but hang on.. I have a husband for that.. :lol: I will search out for secondhand 80-400, I might get lucky... ;)

Destiny..

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Artisan New wrote:great sensors like the one in the D800. You can go to 6400 ISO without a doubt in mind,

Well - i wouldn´t second that. Good quality you can achieve up to 800 ISO. Beyond that it´s just acceptable. For the best quality i wouldn´t go over 400 ISO.
Using 3200/6400 you loose lots of details in fine structures - as bird-feathers or bear-fur or so.

In the end you might use a very expensive high-class tele-lens . . . and then you give away it´s optical performance by using very high ISO . . . :cool:

Anyway i would prefer a non-zoom tele. 300mm is a great - and relative affordable - average lens. Using an excellent (not cheap) converter you can make it 400 or even 600mm and keep
better quality than pushing up the ISO.

All in all the D800´s excellently clean 36mpx providing good dynamics gives you reserves to make crops from an image and alone by this achieving more "tele" :cool:

best, Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:21 pm

I personally never go over 300 ISO for most things.. 100 for indoors always. I was wondering if there was some kind of attachment that could fit with my 14-24.. Its a great lens but provide little in the way of zoom.. If I could fit a middle lens to it, but not sure if this even possible, bit like an extension....

Destiny..

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Destiny wrote:I personally never go over 300 ISO for most things.. 100 for indoors always. I was wondering if there was some kind of attachment that could fit with my 14-24.. Its a great lens but provide little in the way of zoom.. If I could fit a middle lens to it, but not sure if this even possible, bit like an extension....

Destiny..

To me ISO is always last in line to get "rewarded", it has to serve other things before it will get anything.
Shuttertime and aperture are first in line, I give them what they need. If there is not enough light I just turn up the iso. If I need to choose I rather have noise in my pictures then shake or incorrect focusdepth.
Modern camera's do rather fine with higher ISO. Of course, when there is enough light I also like to lower ISO.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:33 am

Ah Hans and Klaus,

Absolutely.....if I can manage with shuttertime and aperture I shoose those of course. But shooting handheld with a 400 is a different ballpark from shooting with an 85 on a Seitz mount. Then you will eventually have to creep up the ISO and the Nikon D800 can do that to 3200 ISO easily. Of course you will loose some fine detail (which can be limited if you shoot RAW btw)....but you are shooting for "on the wall" so for print. And that means with a Nikon D800 you can still get a 13 x 20 inch out of if without loss of VISIBLE detail Klaus (unless you go to exhibitions with magnifying glasses strapped to your forehead but somehow I doubt that :)).

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d800/nikon-d800A.HTM (Imaging resource yelps 24 x 36 but I doubt that as well, 13 x 20 I've tried myself with a borrowed D800e)

http://www.baur.nl/gereedschap/vergrootglazen-en-loeplampen/vtmg13-hoofdband-met-vergrootglas-en-ledverlichting.html

Shooting gigapixel means aiming for pixel detail and that is quite a different game alltogether, first you have a stirdy (at least in my case I have not tried or even seen other motorized panoramamounts so I can't comment on that ;)) platform to shoot from so you close down the aperture and increase shuttertime to match.

But shooting long tele's handheld (up to 600 mm) will mean going at shutterspeeds of less then 1/2500 of a second. Now in order to achieve some DOF you have to stop down to F8 to F11 (in my case) and that means ISO's of up to 1600......now that means no pixelpeaping possible but great in print.

Des's solution on a shoestring budget is simple:

1) Go a gym and find the inner greyhound in Des......
2) Learn to think print (which means pixelpeaping has to be trown out the window since it is quite useless)
3) Heath Klauses advise and shop for a 300 fixed.....you could even use a manual lens (a bit tricky for shooting wildlife but hey Baron Hugo van Lawick and Frans Lantink shot wildlife without an autofocus so why can't you, you'll need patience but that is essential in wildlife anyway. And for Nikon the 300 mm 4.0 IF ED is about the best you can get or you can insist on AF and buy this baby secondhand:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/3004af.htm

they should do about 1000 dollars or less (less is more in this case). Also be patient. I bought a manuall 300 mm IF ED for a song and a dance once.

Greets, Ed.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

Destiny

by Destiny » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:46 am

So Ed.. What song did you sing and what dance did you do... I am willing to do the same for a lens.. LOL...

I will send you a Kangaroo pic perhaps in the next week or so.. They look like giant hopping Gerbil's.. http://www.google.com.au/search?sugexp=crnk_timecombined&gs_rn=26&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=6&gs_id=o&xhr=t&q=gerbil&safe=active&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.52164340,d.aGc&biw=1264&bih=792&dpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=j2U1UsKvAYeyiQesvICAAw

I will play with the ISO.. i would rather lower the fstop than raise the ISO.. but we are all leaning.. Different lenses perform differently... Some let in more light than others... I will use my 14-24.. Love that lens but the zoom is not fantastic..

Destiny..

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Artisan New wrote:And for Nikon the 300 mm 4.0 IF ED is about the best you can get or you can insist on AF and buy this baby secondhand:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/3004af.htm

they should do about 1000 dollars or less (less is more in this case). Also be patient. I bought a manuall 300 mm IF ED for a song and a dance once.

THIS one is a very nice beast:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/300mm-f28.htm
http://compare.ebay.de/like/310737204149?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Oh my goodness.. The image of the moon is awesome.. True, it is a beast.. The eBay one in mint condition is really nice.. I am sure if the cap was not available, I could get it printed in 3D plastic.. And will this lens fit on my D800 ok.. My husband will go nuts at this one.. but its still expensive... Seems that its more of an investment though.. It can only go up in price or not go down much at least.. Oh man, I would love to give it a try out.. Even the box would need wheels.. lol..

Destiny..

Destiny

by Destiny » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:00 pm

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Yeps, sports school is in your future Des....if you heath Klaus's advice :).

Greets, Ed.

Destiny

by Destiny » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:25 pm

When I first came to Australia, my husband took me to Ayers Rock Uluru.. I have never seen soooo many stars in the sky.. Just amazing... and very very clear... I would have loved a great camera but we just had a Canon G3 at that time.. Not great.... Soo many shooting stars.. A great camera and lens would have been wonderful...

Destiny...

Destiny

by Destiny » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:36 am

The lens that Klaus put up from eBay looks like its in new condition.. We would love to bid for it but I think there is only 3 days to go.. We want to wait until the last day since if we bid now, it might begin bidding by others... Is it in Germany?.. It would certainly do the job we are looking for.. Some lenses cost $$$$ but this one is awesome and although expensive its still very good value.. I am sure it would not go down in price too much.. I just hope the images represent the real condition... How can I find this out.. Some people on eBay put up photos of when it was new, not as it is now..

http://compare.ebay.de/like/310737204149?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

So, I am assuming it will just fit onto my D800 with no issues.. It even has end caps.. I could try to find a box for it later.. Many of this types of lens look like they have had a lot of use but this one looks in perfect condition...

Destiny..

English...

With a focal length of 300 mm succeed spectacular images. The huddled perspective, the shallow depth of field and, fold relative to the standard lens 6 magnification, can be used as the extraordinary photographic images are produced. The internal focusing (IF) makes focusing fast, convenient and secure. ED glass (with extremely low refractive index) on the chromatic aberration is almost completely and therefore the photographer gets pictures of "jumping sharpness" as a well-known journalist once wrote. A sliding hood is installed.
Specifications:

Groups / Elements: 6/8
Picture Angle: 8 °
Minimum aperture: 22
Closest distance: 4 m
Filter Diameter: E-122
Length: 249 mm
Weight: 2500 gr

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Destiny wrote:With a focal length of 300 mm succeed spectacular images. The huddled perspective, the shallow depth of field and, fold relative to the standard lens 6 magnification, can be used as the extraordinary photographic images are produced.

This one would be a good alternative - doesn´t look as spectacular as the 2,8 ;) but definitely does it´s work very well: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/300ais.htm
Available for around 300-400.-€ http://www.ebay.de/itm/NIKON-AI-s-Nikkor-300mm-4-5-IF-ED-/251328077928

(i have an even older one (non ED) and did this shoot with it: http://gigapan.com/gigapans/97639 - not as tack-sharp as it really is because i used too long exp. time and the shots got a little blurred by vibrations)

Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destiny

by Destiny » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:25 pm

I contacted the lens seller at eBay.... Seems to be in genuine condition as seen.... Its very nice..

Destiny

Hello, the condition is used, but it’s fully working. No dents, no scratches on the glasses, no dust, no haze or fungus.
You’ll find pictures attached.
You can buy the lens at once in eBay. PayPal is of course accepted.

Kind regards
Team-Foto GbR

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:39 am

That is great work for an 300 non ED, Klaus.....bought a copy of that lens on my then F3....was not that pleased with it so it went in the big grey trunck.....until I sold it and bought a 300 IF ED second hand.....that is a much nicer lens......I sold it when I could buy a new 75-300 zoom (not to be confused with the 70-300 plastic not so fantastic).....since 300 at the time was a focal length I didn't use to much.....now the 75-300 was and is a great lens till 250.....above that is does what the original 300 did....it was soft in microcontrast. Now today that is not to much of a problem but in the film area (that in my case lasted till 2010) it was.

Greats, Ed.

P.S. the lens you are linking to is the IF version....not the ED non IF version. Not your fault Nikon made a whole bunch of 300 back then...

1) Low end the 4.5 AIs non Internal Focussing non ED......sold for around 1100 guilders (500 euro) back in 1981 (I know I bought one :))
2) Then a mid range 4.5 appeared non IF but ED (and not only a small element but the front lens as I recall).....that was about 750 euro (I know I wanted one :()
3) A few years later they brought the last of non AF's the 4.5 IF ED.....

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/late70nikkor/telephoto/300mmf45ed.htm

And MIR has them neatly arranged.....

Greets, Ed.
Last edited by Artisan New on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:00 am

And don't forget this Nikon Des......

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/228-nikkor-af-s-300mm-f4d-if-ed-review--test-report?start=1

About 1100 euro new, and autofocus.....

Greets, Ed.

Destiny

by Destiny » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:34 am

Mint condition comes at a price... But still have the price of a new similar one... Too expensive for me... :(

This one is like buying a new lens... Strange it doesn't have the gold ring going round like most have... It might be a fake....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nikon-300mm-f-2-8-AF-ED-Nikkor-Lens-MINT-CASE-/190843358016#vi-content

Destiny..

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:09 am

No that baby is genuine Nikkor it's the pre AF-I AF and that did not have a gold stripe on it.....it was build from 1988...and 12806 where build.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#300

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/afn30028.jpg

See....a little research....expect it to be a slow AF though and heavy as led at 2.7 kg.....wax in, wax out, wax in, wax out.....

Greets, Ed.
Last edited by Artisan New on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Destiny

by Destiny » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 am

B&H are a trusted mob... They have a secondhand shop.. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Nikon+80-400mm+VR&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&usedSearch=1&Top+Nav-Search=

The customer photo examples are really nice....

This lens looks great but.. I do not really know.. Ken Rockwell seems to like it.. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80400vr.htm

Also they have some of those 300mm F/2.8 lenses...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Nikon+Ai%2FS+300mm+F%2F2.8&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&usedSearch=1&Top+Nav-Search=

Destiny..

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:31 pm

The text which stood here wasn´t from me!! I deleted it.

Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Return to Hardware