Problem Stitching  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Track

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Problem Stitching

by Track » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:31 pm

I have a problem with a Pano.

These two photos go in:
Image Image

This comes out:

I've tried High detection quality, Low detection quality, more control points, less control points, etc but nothing seems to fix it.

Thanks!

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Track wrote:I have a problem with a Pano.

These two photos go in:
[url]http://t.imgbox.com/abkpgy7t.jpg[/url] [url]http://t.imgbox.com/adj9PC0X.jpg[/url]

This comes out:
[url]http://t.imgbox.com/adej16Xk.jpg[/url]

I've tried High detection quality, Low detection quality, more control points, less control points, etc but nothing seems to fix it.

Thanks!

Providing THAT minimum of information: do you expect any answer?? :cool:

Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Track

Topic author
Info

by Track » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:47 pm

klausesser wrote:

These two photos go in:
[url]http://t.imgbox.com/abkpgy7t.jpg[/url] [url]http://t.imgbox.com/adj9PC0X.jpg[/url]

This comes out:
[url]http://t.imgbox.com/adej16Xk.jpg[/url]

Thanks!

Providing THAT minimum of information: do you expect any answer?? :cool:

Klaus

Lol. It's a simple question. What other information do you need?

EDIT: I've highlighted the problem in the picture below.

Last edited by Track on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:54 pm

send them over and I will try to fix it.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:08 pm

Thanks!

I guess these were shot handheld?

What camera and lens did you use?

Were they shot from the same location of did you move betwen shots?

Did you use the same settings for both shots? For example, same focal length?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Track

Topic author
Info

by Track » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:16 pm

HansKeesom wrote:send them over and I will try to fix it.

I uploaded the originals. They're in the first post.

mediavets wrote:I guess these were shot handheld?

No, on a tripod.

mediavets wrote:What camera and lens did you use?

Canon T2i + Sigma 20mm f/1.8 Prime Lens.

mediavets wrote:Were they shot from the same location of did you move betwen shots?

Same location, of course.

mediavets wrote:Did you use the same settings for both shots? For example, same focal length?

Yes, everything is identical. The only problem is the tear between the stitching.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Track wrote:Lol. It's a simple question.

"LOL"?? Well - if you think so . . .

Klaus

no avatar
Track

Topic author
Info

by Track » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:56 pm

klausesser wrote:
Track wrote:Lol. It's a simple question.

"LOL"?? Well - if you think so . . .

Klaus

Lol = :D

*scratches head*

Well, I've seen it asked several times.. I just don't know what it's called so I can't search the forums.

You know what I'm referring to.. the portion that isn't lined up properly - where one side is higher than the other, like the end of a texture on a series of polygons.. kind of looks like the aftershot of an earthquake..

Come on, you know what I'm talking about :P

no avatar
Track

Topic author
Info

by Track » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:00 am

HansKeesom wrote:here it is

Here is what..?

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:01 am

Track wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:here it is

Here is what..?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uguvarswilemotz/two-IMG_5951_IMG_5952-2%20images.jpg
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:21 am

Well thats worth a beer or three.. The fixing up I mean.. I would give nothing for the actual image..

Destiny..
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 am

I think you just proved that it's possible to get rid of the stitching errors in a pano by just taking out the two overlapping shots and stitching them on their own :)

Next question then : how do you put this back into the whole pano ?

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:05 am

marzipano wrote:I think you just proved that it's possible to get rid of the stitching errors in a pano by just taking out the two overlapping shots and stitching them on their own :)

Does his pano comprise more than these two images?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
marzipano

Info

by marzipano » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:31 am

mediavets wrote:
marzipano wrote:I think you just proved that it's possible to get rid of the stitching errors in a pano by just taking out the two overlapping shots and stitching them on their own :)

Does his pano comprise more than these two images?

LOL I hope so unless he's going for the worst panorama ever produced

(in post 1 Track says these two shots "go in" so I assume it's just a small part)

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:57 am

And the best thing is : I just loaded the two pictures, did detection and rendered it. No extra work whatsoever, everything on default.

He can dropbox me the other pictures to do the whole panorama, it's routine for me ;-)
Regards, Hans Keesom

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:58 am

HansKeesom wrote:

And the best thing is : I just loaded the two pictures, did detection and rendered it. No extra work whatsoever, everything on default.

He can dropbox me the other pictures to do the whole panorama, it's routine for me ;-)

Hans: he wanted to know what he was doing wrong and wanted to know how to correct it himself.

Afaik he wasn´t looking for someone who does solve the issue it for him.

Klaus

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:34 pm

klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:

Hans: he wanted to know what he was doing wrong and wanted to know how to correct it himself.

Klaus

The problem is, I had no issue at all, unable to reproduce the problem ;-)

It brings attention to a more general problem, not every photographer is a stitcher.
Last edited by HansKeesom on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
marzipano

Info

by marzipano » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:07 pm

HansKeesom wrote:
klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:And the best thing is : I just loaded the two pictures, did detection and rendered it. No extra work whatsoever, everything on default.

Klaus

The problem is, I had no issue at all, unable to reproduce the problem ;-)

It brings attention to a more general problem, not every photographer is a stitcher.

I think that is why we would hope you explain how you improve the stitching procedure so that we can benefit from that knowledge

I hope the OP puts up the whole set of images not just these two so we can get a better idea what the problems are

I suspect the perspective difference between the two images in this part of the pano may be causing problems. On the right hand side of both images, the angle between the buildings and the road is very different on each image

a a gruntpuddock

Info

by a a gruntpuddock » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:04 pm

I had just done a clean install of the latest version of Autopan Pro and it stitched the pano with only some minor errorrs in some of the lighting columns.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:47 pm

a a gruntpuddock wrote:I had just done a clean install of the latest version of Autopan Pro and it stitched the pano with only some minor errorrs in some of the lighting columns.

There you have it. There is no problem with the pictures!
Regards, Hans Keesom

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:58 pm

HansKeesom wrote:It brings attention to a more general problem, not every photographer is a stitcher.

You name it! And of course that´s fully ok!

The problem is: as a photographer doing panoramas you need to know at least the basics of both - photography and stitching.
When somebody tells me he doesn´t want to learn it it´s not on me to convince him to do learn it nevertheless - but then he/she´d better give his
work away to get it done and pay for the service.

Klaus

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:44 pm

klausesser wrote:......
The problem is: as a photographer doing panoramas you need to know at least the basics of both - photography and stitching.
When somebody tells me he doesn´t want to learn it it´s not on me to convince him to do learn it nevertheless - but then he/she´d better give his

Klaus

I have good experience with real photographers that I teach panorama-photography. They bring so much knowlegde to the equation that once they've learned how to make a panorama they combine that knowledge with what they already know about light, composition etc.

Your last sentence is what I see more and more and am building my business on. Photographers realise that they can't do everything themselves if they don't want to spend a lot of time learning the stitching technique. As long as I return them a good quality panorama and sometimes layers, they can see the win-win situation. Together with some hosting and ICT and integration support this works fine for both parties
Regards, Hans Keesom

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:59 pm

HansKeesom wrote:Your last sentence is what I see more and more and am building my business on.

Good strategy, Hans! :-)

Klaus

no avatar
marzipano

Info

by marzipano » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:46 am

HansKeesom wrote:

Klaus

I have good experience with real photographers that I teach panorama-photography. They bring so much knowlegde to the equation that once they've learned how to make a panorama they combine that knowledge with what they already know about light, composition etc.

Your last sentence is what I see more and more and am building my business on. Photographers realise that they can't do everything themselves if they don't want to spend a lot of time learning the stitching technique. As long as I return them a good quality panorama and sometimes layers, they can see the win-win situation. Together with some hosting and ICT and integration support this works fine for both parties

I'm sure that's very true but the point I was making is that people who go to the trouble of posting ON HERE with their APG stitching problems are very likely to want to know how they could improve their technique not just hand it all over for someone else to solve with no feedback

As an outsourcing arrangement for busy professional photographers, that is a different situation and I'm sure you provide a valuable service

best
Martin

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:26 pm

marzipano wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:

Klaus

I'm sure that's very true but the point I was making is that people who go to the trouble of posting ON HERE with their APG stitching problems are very likely to want to know how they could improve their technique not just hand it all over for someone else to solve with no feedback

Right - but when you buy a car you need to learn how to drive. When you start to shoot panoramas it´s the same. Doing panoramas means to know or to learn at least two things:

1) how to shoot.
2) how to stitch.

Expecting everything to go automated is a bit blue-eyed. In the end it´s photography, as said. If the way of shooting isn´t appropriate - it´s either impossible to achieve a good stitch or
it needs WAYS of work to compensate faults which would have been avoidable with more basical understanding the shooting-process.

When issues rise one needs to know where they come from to compensate them. Here we again have TWO things which need to be understood:

1) photography
2) stitching.

Some people say they don´t want to learn the basics. Ok - their decision. But it means to need asking for help each time an issue rises - without learning that most of the issues are connected
to each other that means permanently asking for help.
So when a photographer doesn´t know about perspective, distortions, the way different focal-legths act in terms of stitching, shooting distances related to focal-lengths and so on he/she inavaoidably will run into issues.

Even the best post-pro guy or gal not always will be able to make a faulty shoot a perfect stitch.

Amen. ;):cool:

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next