Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: 360 Video Quality
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:53 pm 

Hello,

After reviewing a number of online 360 videos, I noticed the quality seems a bit degraded. Is this due to compression for online streaming or do panoramic videos on desktop display at the same lower resolution?

I am interested in using 360 video as a research tool for field sites, but decent quality is a must even if it is offline. I don't expect the same quality as that of a dslr panorama, but I need to confirm that higher resolution 360 video is possible. If anyone has experience and would be willing to share?

Thanks,

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:27 am 

KolorEyes Desktop Edition can playback easily 4k resolution.

I myself have viewed 5k ++ via Quicktime.

Resolution needs bandwidth. Majority of 360video samples have been compressed for the playability over the internet. Plenty of stuttering whenever viewing through mobile player.
Offline viewing yields better playback viewing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:53 pm 

I agree, but be careful I am no expert.
Most of my output is 1080 so the ipad and iphone player can use it.
I am shooting HD 1440 on six gopros that has to then fit into 1920 by 1080.

if the the player shows you the whole image captured by only one gopro, you are seeing 1/6 of what I have compressed into 1080.
The quality is according to this. Don't enlarge the player to more than 1/6 of 1080 frame size, if this makes sense, or you are pixel peeping

What to do?. Option I have been using is to set the player to Little Planet projection, then zoom in to normal perspective, modest player size.
Looks OK for me.

Output at 4000 is great Image Quality but the file size is enormous, no problem if it is on local drive.

If you want to see comparison then some files for you below. Not so good production values yet (if ever but I am learning)

right click and save link as to download
360 video at 1080, 24 Mb, https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/dofphoto.net/360video/car1920.mp4
360 video at 4000, 90 Mb, https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/dofphoto.net/360video/car4000.mp4
Flat video of 4000 via Adobe Premiere CC to show zoomed in IQ, 36 Mb, https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/dofphoto.net/360video/CarCC.mp4

Maurice :)

Last edited by mwindley on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.